Thread: F%$#ing Shimano

LBS Manager

F%$#ing Shimano

I just had to dremel a frightening amount of metal off my XTR front der to allow it to reach my granny ring properly. Even with the limit screw backed all the way out the POS would not swing close enough to the frame to get the proper clearance. The metal had to be removed from the back side of the inner plate and the clamp / body so that it could move closer to the seat tube. Yes my cranks are properly installed (FSA K force carbon). Even after removing the metal to get clearance on the inside the thing still doesn't work properly on the big ring. The Shitmano front der is the only shimano part left on my bike and it is the only one causing any problems. I cant wait for Sram to make an XO front der so I can have a completely shimano free drive drain. My frame requires a low mount top pull and currently Sram only makes one in the low end stuff. I have never liked Shimano but now my dislike is reaching a new level.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You are not doing something right.

Shimano XTR FD have on occasion functioned properly for their owners.

I saw a picture of the head man of shimano tuning up an XTR FD on a Rocky Element, in MTB action, I bet it worked for him, oh yeah and the test crew thought it did too.

Enjoy your SRAM!

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Ya, Shimano hate!!!!!!
    haha, unfortunately SRAM front derailluers don't work with many bikes.
    I haven't researched, but does SRAM front derailleur work on Cannondale Rush frames?
    Hopefully I can get rid of the XT
    Last year I switched from XT to X7 and the low-end SRAM kicked mid-end shimano a$$!!!
    Now I have X9 rear but X7 shifters, but I'm soon ordering some X9 or maybe if i can find a good deal some bling-bling X0 carbon pods!!
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    You are not doing something right.

Shimano XTR FD have on occasion functioned properly for their owners.

I saw a picture of the head man of shimano tuning up an XTR FD on a Rocky Element, in MTB action, I bet it worked for him, oh yeah and the test crew thought it did too.

Enjoy your SRAM!
    Believe me I did everything right I know what I am doing. The LX one I had on there before was working and I set that one up my self. Like I said earlier even with the low limit screw backed completely out the front der would not swing far enough to the inside to eliminate chain rub. After removing a bunch of material from both the cage and the clamp body it now swings far enough back. This is another case of shimano (particularly XTR) not playing well with others. My XO stuff is 100% flawless which is about 50% better than the XTR stuff I have now and in the past. If I did not need a low mount top pull design I would even be willing to put a Campy road one to get rid of this POS.
    As far as me enjoying my sram believe me, I do and once they have a high end front der that will fit my bike I will be enjoying it even more.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So a SRAM won't work either on your bike?

1946:2006:2066
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    I just had to dremel a frightening amount of metal off my XTR front der to allow it to reach my granny ring properly. Even with the limit screw backed all the way out the POS would not swing close enough to the frame to get the proper clearance. The metal had to be removed from the back side of the inner plate and the clamp / body so that it could move closer to the seat tube. Yes my cranks are properly installed (FSA K force carbon). Even after removing the metal to get clearance on the inside the thing still doesn't work properly on the big ring. The Shitmano front der is the only shimano part left on my bike and it is the only one causing any problems. I cant wait for Sram to make an XO front der so I can have a completely shimano free drive drain. My frame requires a low mount top pull and currently Sram only makes one in the low end stuff. I have never liked Shimano but now my dislike is reaching a new level.
    Would this problem be with your ETSX?
    Between the swing arm pivot and the shock bracket there aint a lot of room.
    I solved it by going 1x9...

michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

ups and downs
    The XTR 970 front derailleurs are optimized for the 50mm chainline of the XTR cranks, they don't appear to be usable with chainlines narrower than that. The XT derailleurs are still rated for 47.5-50mm. If you set up your FSA cranks for a narrower 47.5mm chainline you'd have to be doing a lot of mods to the XTR derailleur to get it to swing in that extra 2.5mm.

I'm running a 960 series XTR front on my ETSX, and it's set up for a 48mm chainline, seems to work OK.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Person
    Sep 2005
    Go 1X9 and your problem is solved. Plus you get rid of all that extra crap.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    The XTR 970 front derailleurs are optimized for the 50mm chainline of the XTR cranks, they don't appear to be usable with chainlines narrower than that. The XT derailleurs are still rated for 47.5-50mm. If you set up your FSA cranks for a narrower 47.5mm chainline you'd have to be doing a lot of mods to the XTR derailleur to get it to swing in that extra 2.5mm.

I'm running a 960 series XTR front on my ETSX, and it's set up for a 48mm chainline, seems to work OK.
    Ya it did work better with my Race Face cranks.

neutiquam erro
    Agree with FireDog and Baulz - all front derailleurs are the work of the devil. Good riddance, I say. 1x9 rocks the house!

Cheers, Chris

MTB B'dos
    I believe that Rockyuphill has nailed it, all the new Shimano stuff is designed around "their new" 50mm chainline Not quite sure how or why they feel it's better than running 45-47 but it's their decision. It's something I noticed while setting up my XT HT2 cranks with a 47.5-48mm chainline and the new M580 LX derailer - had the same trouble or getting into granny ring. I since switched to a older M750 XT FD and no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    May 2006
    See now there Shimano did wrong by changing things and not tell you.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    So a SRAM won't work either on your bike?
    Unfortunately Shimano has pattented the simplest front derailleur possible, so SRAM must use a different design to get by the patents, thus it won't work on some bikes...
    unfortunately that means my Rush
    I want 100% SRAM!!!!!!

X0 over XTR anyday, but its just my personal preference. Sure I bash Shimano all day long, but at the end of the day, its all about the ride, not what shifters you have.
    www.bikeride.ca

LBS Manager
    I checked my chain line and it is perfect the middle ring is perfectly lined up with the middle cog. I also looked at another XTR front der (both 2006) and it has less material in the clamp area (the material that I had to remove) which is kind of fishy. I think the one I got is either an early production one or a defect. I ordered it from the LBS very late in the season last year so I doubt it was an early production model. If it was it should have been recalled long before I got it. It works now but it took a lot reshaping on my end that should not be necessary on a high end product.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    ...took a lot reshaping on my end that should not be necessary on a high end product.
    That's where you are wrong. You never had a high-end product to begin with...Shimano....shudder
    that is strange though, maybe it was just defective or a bad-apple in the products that came out. Who knows
    www.bikeride.ca

mtbr member
    i would have to agree with chris130 firedog and baulz,but im cheating and using a chainguide,does that count still.

and it amazes me how it was not shimanos fault but johnny hairy boys fault for not checking his chainline dimensions,but no sorry to shimano,bet sram cant wait until he finds a problem with there stuff.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by konut
    i would have to agree with chris130 firedog and baulz,but im cheating and using a chainguide,does that count still.

and it amazes me how it was not shimanos fault but johnny hairy boys fault for not checking his chainline dimensions,but no sorry to shimano,bet sram cant wait until he finds a problem with there stuff.
    I see reading is not your strong suit. I did confirm and reconfirm the chain line is perfect and the Shimano POS still didn't line up properly. Also that doesn't explain why another XTR der of the same year, style and size has a different shape to it, more like mine after the mods. As far going to 1 by 9 I although I spend most of my time in the middle ring I do use the other 2 rings on occasion. I am very anal about things working PERFECTLY that is why I went through the mods on this thing. I have never had to do this much to any bike part cheap or expensive to get it work before.
    When I said it worked better with my Race Face crank it still didn't work 100% there was a little Chain rub on the inside of the cage when I was in the lowest gear combo.
    I do agree with who ever said that all front der are the work of the devil but I wish someone could change that.

Student
    I choose Sram over Shimano as well.
    [SIZE="3"]The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Screw them both, get a Rohloff!!! works perfectly - all the time