mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Extreme steering (ESI) grips moving

I think this is the right place to ask this question.
    A week ago I installed the ESI chunky grips using the air compressor method. I managed to get them on fine but I find that they can be easily moved (twisted) on the bars. Is this normal? I've read previously that they shouldn't really move. Anyone else have this problem? Could I have done something wrong, and can this be corrected? My previous grips Ritchey true grips WCS did not move at all. Maybe I didn't clean the bars so well when I removed my previous grips, however I also used air to put them on.

Thanks Guys.

Keepin' it real since '74
    You should not be able to twist your grips. Take them off, clean the bar again, and spray some hairspray or 3M adhesive inside the grip before you put it back on.

BTW...if you use the 3M adhesive, you'll have to cut your grips off if you ever want to take them off the bar.
    "If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat."

Actually ESI says use rubbing alcohol, windex or compressed air only to install their grips, so I'd try removing them and cleaning your bar first. Compressed air was my favorite method before switching over to ODI lock on grips.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique