mtbr member

Extralite Octaramp 30t chainring

Hi, does anyone have any experience with this chainring?

I am going for a 1x10 setup as I currently love my 1x9 rig on hardtail (using a 30t Andersen Machine chainring) but wanting to try something different.

How is the wear on the Extralite ring? Is there any downside to the integrated female chainring bolts? Do you still have to file some material off the spider?

Any thoughts will be helpful
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Think about the Widgit.com. Add posted on the right, looks interesting....

mtbr member
    Thought about it a while ago, but they're really expensive and you can't run a proper bash with them.
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    May 2009
    SteveE - keep your Andersen Machine chainring, no sense to change to Extralite. Ive tested both. A-Machine chainring is more robust and needs no or minimal filing for spider, in my case adding 1,5mm to chainline (one more spacer) needed - no filing. This depends although what cranks you use - spider shape and measures are bit different - Ive is SixC.
    Extralite needs more filing - those integrated female bolts are ok, but when tightening, the bolt is pressed into spiderarm hole and chainring stays very near spider.

mtbr member
    Oh well, I already ordered the Extralite! It'll be going on an m770 crank which has already had the spider filed for the Andersen machine chainring.
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    Just curious how that extralite chainring worked out for ya?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I just received the extralite 30t. It's a pain in the balls to use as a single ring on a shimano crank. In addition to the filing of the arms, which I was already aware of, there were 3 other issues that took a lot of fiddling.

- The integrated female bolts that go through the crank arms were intended to extend through the crankarms and into the bolt holes of an outer chainring. So if you use this ring for 1x you have to grind or file down the "bolts" so they end below the outer edge of the arms. Otherwise you can't tighten it.

- Then, I had to deal with the fact that I needed really short male chainring bolts, or a bunch of washers in the right size. Rather than chase down washers I put some chainring bolts in a clamp and ground them down to fit without bottoming out. I chased and tapped the ring and the bolts after grinding so I didn't crossthread anything and ruin a $65 ring.

- Finally, I had to grind a good bit of plastic off the outer bottom edge of my mrp chain keeper so the crank arms didn't hit it.

All good now but I should have spent a little more and got the anderson. With that it would have just been the easy arm filing and the mrp mod.
    Last edited by 92gli; 07-27-2012 at 10:54 AM.