Always Learning

Experience/help needed: Rotor Q Ring 34T 1 x 9 drivetrain...

I mounted up the Rotor Q Ring SS 34T on my RIP 9 with a 1 x 9 (11-34 cassette) and a X0 9 speed rear derailleur. I would take pictures, but my camera left the house for 2 weeks with my son who is on an overseas trip. So I can't even post up a picture.

I left the front derailleur on to act as a chain retention device and did a couple of rides to make sure the 34T ring with the 11-34 cassette would be fine for where I ride. It works fine, or seems to be just right for my needs (XC riding and racing). The RIP 9 is a 120mm up front and about 115mm or so of travel in the rear.

I even did an hour ride today without the front derailleur and the chain stayed on just fine. But I know that's probably not always going to be the case.... I have not shortened the chain yet and the rear derailleur is a long cage. I figure - it's working so why mess with it yet.

What are my options for chain retention? The Rotor Q Ring mounts to the outer ring position of my XT triple crankset for a perfect chainine. So I don't think I can do a bashwich for chain retention with this 64/104 BCD crankset. If the ring were on the middle - yes, but it mounts to the outer spot. There are no ISCG tabs on this old RIP and the BB is the old cartridge Shimano Octalink (I know, I know - dinosaur era).

Without upgrading a lot of things, would somehting like the e13XCX Seat Tube Guide or the MRP 1X work on a 4.5" travel bike?

With the Rotor Q Ring not being round, I wonder if anyone has any experience running a 1 x 9 or 1 x 10 with it and what they found worked the best for chain retention.

Thanks in advance.

BB
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    I'm running an e13 low mount seat tube XCX on my RIP without issue. I wanted to get down to a 30 tooth ring though so the low mount fits under the front derailleur cable stop. If you're running a 34, I'd probably go with the high mount to be more in line with the front derailleur spec for that bike.

Name:  xcxp_guide-sthi_main-150x93.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  4.2 KB

Plays with tools
    You could space the bash guard off of the ring and still run a bashwich. Although I think the seat tube mounted guides are a little more secure.

Does Rotor do a ring for single ring use that's missing the shift ramps?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    I'm running an e13 low mount seat tube XCX on my RIP without issue. I wanted to get down to a 30 tooth ring though so the low mount fits under the front derailleur cable stop. If you're running a 34, I'd probably go with the high mount to be more in line with the front derailleur spec for that bike.

Name:  xcxp_guide-sthi_main-150x93.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  4.2 KB
    Thanks, Nater. Yes, the FD was a bottom swing, high clamp mount - so that makes sense to go that way. Do these things adjust for chainline enough to reach out to large chain ring spot on a triple? It says 50-53mm chainline - so I best measure my chainline to see what it is.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    You could space the bash guard off of the ring and still run a bashwich. Although I think the seat tube mounted guides are a little more secure.

Does Rotor do a ring for single ring use that's missing the shift ramps?
    Yes. It's a SS ring 34T with no shift ramps.

104 BCD 34t Single Speed - IQ104-34SS

Chain has never fallen off using it SS and I used no retention device.

In fact, I was thinking if I upgraded to one of the clutch type derailleurs that it might be good to go without a retention device. But it would have to be 10 speed as I don't think an 11 speed chain would work with the ring. I was just trying to go the most cost effective as moving from a 34T granny ring to a 36T granny ring really wouldn't be worth the $$$.

Plays with tools
    Shimano/sram 11spd chains have the same inner width as the 10spd chains so it shouldn't make much difference. A clutch rd would probably be sufficient in mild terrain.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Shimano/sram 11spd chains have the same inner width as the 10spd chains so it shouldn't make much difference. A clutch rd would probably be sufficient in mild terrain.
    I called Rotor today after I made the post and Amber told me the same thing - that I could use a 11 speed chain.

I'll probably stick with 1 x 9 and a 9 speed chain for now. Just have to figure out a retention device as for some odd reason, these old Shimano M752 XT cranks (the old Octalink) don't allow the Rotor ring to install on the middle slot of a triple as their is a ridge that would have to be seriously hit with the Dremel to make it work. Shimano standarized their middle rings a few years later after the M752 with subsequent models which is an entire different issue. So it is installed on the outer (large ring) slot which means my chainline is around 54.5mm which rules out some of the devices that are meant for the 50-53mm chainline. I like the Rotor Q Ring too much to ditch it for another ring.

I'll run it without until I figure out what to do. Maybe I'll investigate the Rohloff chainguide as I believe it has enough spacers to adjust for the wider chainline.

BB

Edit: Turns out the slightly wider chainline, the full suspension frame, the targeted riding being XC, the Rohloff's ability to adjust out to a 62mm chainline, etc....the Rohloff chain guide should be just the ticket for my needs.

ROHLOFF CHAIN GUIDE

I could even get fancy with it and trick it out like Jeff Jones used to do for his bikes that ran 1 x 9 drivetrains...

img_6799
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 05-02-2013 at 08:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Just make sure the cable stop doesn't interfere with the clamp on the Rohloff.

Always Learning
    Yes, that is my only worry. Will know soon if a mod is required to the brackets, or if I can run it below or above the cable stop and still get adequate retention with the 34T Q Ring.

Have to admit the Jeff Jones mod to the Rohloff looks pretty cool and would look trick on a raw RIP 9 frame....

jonesblog_b4

Always Learning
    Got the Rohloff chain guide today and mounted it up. It fit below the cable stop and is working perfectly (no rub). Weight of the Rohloff was 66g (could probably machine off 10 - 20g at least). The chainguide was the perfect choice for my particular need of having the ring mounted on the large ring of a triple slot and the chainline adjustment of the Rohloff. Real pictures once my camera returns from Spain next week. In the meantime, the old Samsung flip phone shows what a great camera it has turned out to be...

RotorQRohloff

BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 05-08-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Always Learning
    My camera arrived home late last night.

Updated and clearer photo of the Rohloff...

P1010065

P1010064

P1010066