mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Experience with Enduro XD-15 bottom bracket

I am considering purchasing the new Enduro XD-15 BB for my Trek Superfly. The concern I have is that the bearings are in a sealed cartridge. Does anyone know if they can be serviced? Do you think they will be substantially more durable than a standard steel or ceramic BB? It would need to last at least 3 times the longevity of a ceramic to be worth it. Enduro is advertising it as being able to outlast your frame (yea right).

Robby

mtbr member
    Smoothest bottom bracket I've ever owned. Have had one on my hardtail for 2 seasons and just popped the seals and regreased the bearings last week. I doubt if it will out last the frame but I bet I get at least another 2 seasons out of it. I have a King on the full squish and I do like the xd-15 better.

mtbr member
    I have an XD-15 in my stumpjumper. I've got 2 seasons on it. They come apart very easily, I disassemble clean and re-grease a few times a riding season. I see no reason this BB won't last a few more riding seasons. And it's smooth as butter as well.
    Experience with Enduro XD-15 bottom bracket-dsc_0223-800x533-.jpg
    Experience with Enduro XD-15 bottom bracket-dsc_0224-800x533-.jpg
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Very happy with its performance after a year of 4-5 rides a week. I have cleaned it 3 times and honestly I prob could have gone all yr without doing it. Very smooth!!

Formerly of Kent
    Any more updates on this? How are you guys liking your XD-15s at this point?

Still relatively trouble-free?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The press-fit version for bb95 doesn't disassemble. So it's a little more difficult to clean. It tells me when by creaking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I had the set up for my SRAM cranks and it was great for about a year but due to the sleeve installed for the different size of the spindle on one side I started having issues. I think more of the issue is due to the SRAM crank design. I switched to XT cranks a month after my earlier post and no issues at all. Still doing 4 plus rides a week and just opened it up for the first time 2 weeks ago. All was good inside and still clean, sealed it back up and have been riding it since. No complaints!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I have the regular ceramics as I have a SRAM GXP crankset. The XD-15's are an angular contact bearing and the GXP system is better with standard square contact do to the way the whole system mounts.

If you have Shimano, or other "side tension" crankset then the XD's are going to be great. If SRAM, just get the regular contact bearings as they are better designed for their use.

As to ceramics.,. I always thought the whole "ceramic" bearing upgrade was a big wasted $$ thing.. till I got one. My RWC ceramic bearing BB is now like 5 years old. Replaced my crankset last yr and kept the BB as it was WAY better than the stock new one,.. even after all those miles. It's a noticeable upgrade and it is true that they get even better with breaking/age.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Formerly of Kent

What about BB30? Those would fall under the SRAM blanket, methinks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    What about BB30? Those would fall under the SRAM blanket, methinks?

only if it'a a GXP style crankset... GXP doesn't trap the bearings together like Shimano but uses JUST the non drive side's inner race to hold the cranks in place. Unlike trapped bearing systems this allows for some pressures to be relieved from the drive side bearings making them in theory last longer. (and in my experience it works)

if you look at this info linked below you'll see where the Shimano style cranks would take advantage of angular contact and where GXP's are better off with square contact bearings
    Trail Tire TV: Sram's GXP Bottom Bracket, how it differs from others
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Formerly of Kent

Yeah, the loads are distributed evenly across both bearings with a BB30 system.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Yeah, the loads are distributed evenly across both bearings with a BB30 system.
    actually the load is mostly on the drive side with anything but GXP.. as not only do you have the side to side, up and down which both sides deal with bu the drive side gets the added pressures of the pull/stress from the chain driving you forward.. and it's a big one. The GXP evens things out a bit by taking one stress area (side to side) and applies it to the non drive side..