a.k.a. BicycleKicks

Ever try 24t & 36t chainring combo on a 2x9 setup?

Or maybe 26t & 36t chainrings?

I know most people seem to use a 29t/42t or similar, but this requires a 5-bolt crank spider in most cases... which I don't have and don't want to buy.

I'm using the RF Deus XC cranks and the 24t, 26t, & 36t rings are supposedly available for it. I caculated and charted the gear ratios (or whatever you call them) and with a 24/36 chainring combo I'd get a good range of gears... I'd only lose my lowest climbing gear (22 front / 34 rear combo) and my top 2 high gears (44 front / 13&11 rear combos)... everything in between would be available. I don't think I'd miss those gears 99% of the time... I don't need the lowest granny gear much and my trails are too slow to ever use those last two high gears anyway. It seems that with a 36t front ring that I'd be able to keep it on that ring for most of the time which is in my opinion the main benefit of 2x9... to reduce the amount of shifting with the front derailleur.

Do you think Id' be shifting between the 24/36 rings too much to benefit from this much? And would it shift well between those rings? Admittedly the 29t chainring has a more useful range, but like I said, I don't see myself switching cranks at this time.

Another issue which is a problem is getting a good chainline so I can use all gear combinations... I may not be able to do that... the smallest ring may be limited since it would be on the inner position of my triple crankset.

Anyway, thoughts and experiences with this kind of setup would be appreciated.
    I read that on the internet.

≈ > ♥
    I run a 26/36 dually setup on my playbike, and have had no problems with it whatsoever.
    I'm using Salsa singlespeed rings, with the 26 on the inner granny position. Shifts fine, even with no ramps/pins.
    I'm always in the 36, unless I'm doing some nasty climbing.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim
    I run a 26/36 dually setup on my playbike, and have had no problems with it whatsoever.
    I'm using Salsa singlespeed rings, with the 26 on the inner granny position. Shifts fine, even with no ramps/pins.
    Same for me.

36/24 X 11-32 on my Coiler. Plenty of range. Shifts just fine (also use straight cut tooth rings). Only use the 24 for the really steep stuff and only with the largest 2-3 cogs.

I also ran a 44/28 X 12-34 7-speed for years. The 28t was a inner ring on a triple and I adjusted the chainline out a bit.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

a.k.a. BicycleKicks

How was your chainline?

Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim
    Shiggy said he adjusted his chainline a bit... however, I can't really get more than 1mm more "to the right" than I already am with the RF Deus. This crankset can be set up in 48, 49, or 50mm, I'm currently in the 49mm set up. 50mm may help a bit to get more usable gears, but maybe not a lot.

What kind of crankset were you using and did you adjust the chainline?

It's good to know that it worked well for both of you.

EDIT: What length rear derailleur works best with this 2x9 setup? Medium cage, long cage? I guess you could just run a long cage and not worry about it though.
    Last edited by 40hills; 07-28-2006 at 01:46 PM.
    I read that on the internet.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    If you only use the small ring with the 2-3 largest cogs your current chainline is fine.

On my 2x7 I was using it more as a double ring setup than a single ring + granny.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I use a 22-36 ring setup on my play bike. I like it. I've got a TruVativ ring on the inside, and a Vuelta (gold ano!) 36t. I also have an 11-34 8 speed frankencassette.

≈ > ♥
    I'm using Profile cranks, with a 5x110 spider. I have my chainline setup so that the 36 is centred with the middle of the cassette. She's perfect the way she is.

For a cage, I'm running a DuraAce SS on an 11-34. No problems whatsoever, and the rear shifting is crisp. I changed the top jockey wheel from an 11 tooth to a 10 tooth, for the extra clearance.