mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Enduro BB bearings Who's used them?

I'm kind of tired of blowing $35 bucks a pop for race face deus bearings. I have two sets so I get to actually blow $70 bucks a year. I was wondering if the enduro standards are any better. I could have a spare sitting on my shelf then too. I'm guessing if a guy is real careful he could do this with a light press? any input is greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    I'm using them. They have nice outer seals. so far so good. I was able to install them without the special tools. If I were wrenching for a living I'd get the tool.

Twin Six METAL
    I'm running these bearings in the XTR shells and they are great. I used their tool to remove the old bearings and to press the new ones in. This is one of the best tools I've used. I would recommend getting one if you are going to be doing the bearings more than once.
    SpeedWorks Coaching Services
    http://www.speedworkscoaching.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Life span ??

Thanks for the speedy replies. I'll probably get some. Would you say they last longer? Were your originals about on par with mine a year or so. How long have the enduros lasted? I might try to make a tool at work for for the first couple. Thanks guys for the input it makes my decision much easier.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ran about 6000 km thru the summer on original Shimano XT BB's.

I am now at about 4000 km thru the WINTER on Enduro's BB's.

So at least as good as.

I have seen some of the seal edge beginning to wear, I think i picked up a bunch of grass and mud, and it wiped the edges.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

That's not bad

I think a year for either bike would be less than 2000 miles. Conditions are not terribly dusty or muddy. I don't ride in the winter. I almost wonder if it's worse for them to sit over the winter. Seems like I always notice they need replacing in the spring.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sure sounds like it, is water getting into them somehow? freeze/thaw etc.

gimme friction
    I've got 'em. They're nice. Also, Enduro has great customer service.

I kinda mangled the installation a bit...shoulda bought their nice-looking tool.

But overall, I'd buy them again.
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

It's possible

There might be an off chance water does get down there but it'd be just from washing about once a week. As for their storage they both stay in my garage which really never gets below 50-55 in the winter. I've thought about putting in a valve but I know I'll never actually drill either one of my frames.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman
    There might be an off chance water does get down there but it'd be just from washing about once a week. As for their storage they both stay in my garage which really never gets below 50-55 in the winter. I've thought about putting in a valve but I know I'll never actually drill either one of my frames.
    The longest lasting BBs I've had have come after I drill a small hole into the bottom of the BB shell for drainage. After I did that ISIS is even reliable for me... on my winter SS bike.

I've found most water comes into my BB from washing the bike.

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Maybe

MrP you are tempting me. Maybe I should drill. So you skipped the valve thingy and just drill a very small hole. Any downside of doing that?

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Somewhat OT But...

What's wrong with the people specing bearings for RF and it sounds like Shimano too?
    You should wear out the crankset before you have to replace a set of cartridge bearings.

I've got BB's that use plain Jane 6003 cartridges at $5 each ($10per set), that last 10, 15, 20+ years.

The bearings in my road bike have easily seen 15,000 miles and still spin like day 1

mtbr member
    I've got a pair installed on my RF Deus crank also and so far they work great. I did psring for the tool as well and now I'm real popular w/ my buddies.

eBiker
    MrP you are tempting me. Maybe I should drill. So you skipped the valve thingy and just drill a very small hole. Any downside of doing that?
    Read this post, and you can decide:
    (MkIII) Bottom Bracket / Drilling Install

No structural weaknesses from a small hole (IMHO).

When I did it, I just had the BB out and drilled, none of the pro steps in the write-up.

Mr. P

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I don't know

You'd think that between all of the manufacturers that one would be making a real good set of bearings but no. I too have some very old square tapper bb that never had any issues. I wouldn't support this external bb movement but I fell in love with how stiff the feel was.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    as far as drilling the hole , dont worry about it alot of bikes have a cable guide that screws into the BB shell at just about the same spot. I dont know about RF but shimano external BBs have a plastic tube that snaps into the back of the bearing cups so I doubt that any water in the BB shell could even get into the bearings. plus the cup has about a 1/4" lip , so the BB shell would have to have alot of water in it to even reach. My enduros bearings lasted about 1 1/4 years, no wet riding (well, once or twice) 1 winter season riding (frozen not wet) when I pulled the bearings there was no sign of water in the shell. I think the external seal is where the water gets in, or the grease just wears away after a year or so.
    the Enduro bearings are supposed to have bigger bearings and better grease. and hopefully better seals.

How come on an external bearing like these they dont put a zirc fitting? then you could regrease and push out the grime as needed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, the Enduro BBs are much better. I was blowing thru ISIS every few months, standard RF/Shimano external BBs every 6-12 months. Enduros have over 12 months and not even starting to feel gritty (have outlasted the frame pivot bearings).

And definitely drill a small hole. Valve is not necessary. As my LBS owner says here in rainy Oregon, you can either drill a hole in your bb shell or replace your bearings every few months. Without the drain hole, the bb bearings will always be sitting in a muddy water bath.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    I just got my replacement ceramic cups in the new red. Man they are jewels. Nice job. Thanks. I was running a set of replacment bearsing in a set of Raceface cranks. Very smooth. I sold the bike they were installed on but was very impressed while I had it.

mtbr member
    are they available in the uk,as i would consider it if they were.

mtbr member
    Konut, I did find them in the UK, I did a search on Enduro seals, I can't remember who supplied them though.

However in the end I purchased from the USA direct from Enduro, with the exchange rate they were a lot cheaper than UK prices and postage was very resonable.

Drink...sleep
    I have them on my bike as well. So far they seem excellent (but only +/- 100km on them), Customer service is great too. One of my bearings was busted on arrival and Chris sent me a new one almost right away. I live in the Netherlands btw, and shipping was not very expensive ($6) and quite fast (about a week).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skid Solo
    Konut, I did find them in the UK, I did a search on Enduro seals, I can't remember who supplied them though.

However in the end I purchased from the USA direct from Enduro, with the exchange rate they were a lot cheaper than UK prices and postage was very resonable.
    thanks skid solo,

me and a bud are thinking of buying the tool also to save some money in the long run.