mtbr member

New question here. Electric shimano XTR shifters

i was reading mountain bike action last night and it said something abuot shimano has already ready began making some Dura-ace shifters and deralilluers that r in the grass roots of testing right now but y not make some xtr electric drivetrain. they said it would make a 2 hour xc race no problem at all. but the only worry would be how would it take hits with mountain? road is a whole entire different thing to deal with?

if they make it, who's going to buy it?
    a kid who rides a bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    As the guy from the Article said, I'm not going to trust in gadgets when I'm in the middle of a trail.
    They will also be more expensive, meaning that you wont want to abuse your bike as much because of the fear of breaking them.

Hmmmmm
    As someone with an electronics background. I wouldn't trust it.
    Not only that, but I feel it is the pinnacle of laziness.
    Our society also has a growing toxic waste problem. We don't need to keep inventing battery powered gizmos.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    I think it is a good idea. Most of the shifting problems relate to gummed up cables. This would get rid of them as a cause and let you concentrate on other things.

Tim

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    I think it is a good idea. Most of the shifting problems relate to gummed up cables. This would get rid of them as a cause and let you concentrate on other things.

Tim
    Just use full length housing and say goodbye to sticky cables, even better, use Gore RideOn sealed cables, they will outlast your derailleurs, rings and cogs... Shimano and Campagnolo have been working for years on the road electronic groupsets and there are still no plan to release them to the public so a mountain group would be a loooooonnnng way off.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Frt Range, CO
    I still remember when disc brakes only came on Sears bikes (1975?), everyone knew they'd never catch on, after all, some Japanese company makes 'em, Shimano, who ever heard of them

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Ah the shimano Oil-Lite hydraulic disc brakes.... I traded an NOS one to thornsten years ago for a Magura Louise disc kit.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Frt Range, CO
    15 years ago there were still engineering managers at GM and Ford that swore there would NEVER EVER be steer by wire, much less electric power steering. And they could prove it

Electric shifters are too obvious. The deraillieur will have a longer life because it wouldn't get mashed. And the power will come from a bottom bracket generator. With the pace of development in today's economy, less than 5 years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The Mavic ZAP rear derailleur was used by some PRO tour riders in the mid 90s.

nnn
    mtbr member
    Why would any racer (the XTR target audience) sacrifice extra weight (batteries, charging circuit, chips, housing) and fight extra drag (charging energy needs to be provided) in order to have the exact same shifting you get from a properly setup drivetrain that's kep fairly clean (something any average racer/support mechanic ought to be doing)...
    It's a self contradictory invention, disc brakes were simply a novelty no one undestood.
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

mtbr member
    well today mobile phone bats have an endurance over 5 hours conversation and some can have +10 days in stand by.

How much weight? practically nothing (well for me at least!).

I agree with the environment comments and the "simplicity" of 100% mechanical shifting!
    My XT Shadow with full length guides, shift always and mechanical intervention is almost $0.00

What It Be ?
    Was reading on velonews yesterday. Some of the Tour De France time trial bikes are fitted with the Dura Ace electronic shifters. Saying they can run the wires though the frame make it more aerodynamic. I guess at that level anything is an advantage.