mtbr member
    Feb 2011

El Mariachi 3 crankset removal (FSA Comet)

In a matter of hours, I will have in my hands a new Salsa El Mariachi 3.

Salsa Cycles | Bikes | El Mariachi 3

I have ordered a few things for it, one of which is a bashguard that mounts to the bottom bracket.

Amazon.com: MRP XCG Single Bashguard 36t Max BB Mount Black/Clear: Sports & Outdoors

I am still kind of a newbie when it comes to working on bikes, and I only have tools and experience with lower end bikes (I currently have a square taper and isis/octalink crank puller, and a cartridge bottom bracket tool).

What tools will I need to take apart the crankset on this bike (FSA Comet)? I'm pretty sure I need an external cup tool for the bottom bracket, but not sure which one. Not sure about the crank arm removal.

I'd like to learn and be able to service this bike myself, so even though the tool purchase might be almost what a LBS would charge to just do it for me, I'd rather go the DIY route if possible.

Hopefully I posted this in the correct section. Thanks for any help and advice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I replaced the Comet crankset on my El Mar recently. You'll need just some basic hex keys to remove the cranks. There's a plastic bolt in the end of the axle on the non drive side, just take that out and then loosen the pinch bolts that hold the non drive side crank arm on. To get the bottom bracket off you'll need something like the Park Tool BBT-19, I wouldn't worry too much about brand name and if you can get one with the handle attached it is probably better since you really need to put a lot of torque on this thing.

I have a similar bb mount bashguard, you'll essentially just replace the spacer you'll find on the drive side of the bottom bracket with that bashguard, It should be pretty straight forward.

Is that guard going to be big enough? Mine came stock with a 39 tooth big ring, I'm using this bashguard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks much for the advice. Very very helpful.

Regarding the size, it looks like you are right. No idea why I thought this thing had a 36T big ring. Maybe I was just glancing at the specs quick and caught the cassette size instead of the chainring size. Looks like I'll have to pay return shipping on the one I already bought, doh!

Ordering one like the one you linked now, along with the bottom bracket tool. Decided to save a couple of bucks and go with this one. I'll just have to avoid the tougher rock gardens until this stuff arrives!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think that's pretty much the same bashguard, the only difference I suspect with the other one that I linked to is that it's just the ISCG tab version of the bash paired with an ISCG tab bb adapter. The benefit there I guess is that it can work on bikes with or without ISCG tabs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Another bit of advice is to make sure you crank that drive side cup on there good and tight after installing the bashguard. I found that after a few good hits on the skid plate that the bashguard will start to rotate back toward the chainstays. If that does happen, which it did to me, it's not a huge problem, you just have to finish the ride on your big ring :P.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yeah, I will probably carry tools to take the skid off of the bracket just in case something like that happens.

How hard can I crank down on the cup? Like, cheater bar hard? Or would I break something by cranking down too hard?

Also, do you remember if the drive side cup is normal threaded or reverse threaded?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I wouldn't recommend using a cheater bar, I didn't and when I watched the guys at the bike shop I bought it from install it they didn't use one either. The advise I got from MRP about the rotating was: "The only tips I have for the BB, is to make sure your BB cup is really tight. A good tight BB cup helps and make sure the BB shell face is clean."

The threads on the drive side are reverse threaded. When the bash starts rotating it loosens the cup.

Don't get me wrong, I really like having the bashguard their, the rotation is just minor especially if you have your own tools to set it back to where it should be when it happens.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It just pulls out. Take the chain off the chainring before you try to pull it off. It might be a bit wedged in there, but should come out pretty easily. (Note: It's permanently attached to the axle.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Okay, I attempted to mount the bottom bracket bashguard tonight, but I didn't get very far.

I got the non-drive side crank off easily. However, I could not figure out how to get the drive side crank off. It doesn't look like there's any pinch bolts or anything like on the non-drive side. How do you get the drive side crank off? I thought maybe the cup on the non-drive side of the bottom bracket might need to be loosened, but there's no way to fit the bottom bracket tool on the cup with the axle sticking out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The drive side crank should come off just like the one in this video: Tech Tuesday - MRP XCG Guard Installation - Pinkbike.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Weird. I pulled and pulled on the crank/rings, and it wouldn't budge. Tried jarring it loose by impacting it with the heel of my hand. Pretty much everything short of trying to take a hammer to it.

I might try bringing it to a friend's, who is more mechanically inclined than I am when it comes to bikes.

mtbr member
    I ride in rock farms. They aren't even rock gardens...this place is where the other rocks go to visit their families. So, I probably need one of these bad boys but this seems like a big pain in the ass.

El Mariachi 3 crankset removal (FSA Comet)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1337084622.161803.jpg

Just a small sample of the yuck yuck.

mtbr member
    Rubber mallet is your friend for this job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah a rubber mallet on the end of the non-drive side of the axle or a block of wood and a hammer, sometimes it get's wedged in there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the rubber mallet tip. It did the trick. Bashguard is now installed.

mtbr member
    Got some pics, and how about weight? You gotta let us know about how it works as well. Do you notice that you have even LESS clearance now?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiah View Post
    Got some pics, and how about weight? You gotta let us know about how it works as well. Do you notice that you have even LESS clearance now?
    Sorry, I don't have any pics at the moment, but I have ridden the bike quite a bit after installing the bash.

I don't really notice a huge clearance difference from before, but I only rode the bike about four times before putting the bash on it (and I avoided the gnarly stuff as I didn't want to bash up the rings on my brand new bike). I do notice a difference from my old 26" bike with a 32T bashring on it, I now have just a little less clearance with the 40T bash on the 29er. It's definitely something I can live with though.

As far as the bashguard holding up, it's done the job quite well. It has taken quite a few good hits on both rocks and logs, and has stayed in place just fine. I have ridden enough and "used" the bashguard enough to confidently say that this is a good solution for a bashguard for a 2x10 crankset like this. If this changes for any reason or if it ends up moving, I'll post about it. I'm pretty certain that if it hasn't moved by now, it's not going to in the future either though.

I can take some pictures if you'd like. It's pretty unobtrusive, and most people don't even know it's there unless I point it out. I don't know what the total weight of it is, I don't even have a scale for that sort of thing anyways.