mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Eight speed still a viable choice?

I am planning a new 29er build and am facing a dilemma. I can do a 1x8 or a 1x9 build for similar costs and weights. I already have the XTR 952 rear mech. to use. I just need to pick a shifter and cassette. What do I do? Is eight speed really more reliable? thanks.

bcd
    mtbr member
    i like 8 speed for a ss hub with 5 cogs on it with 5,6 tooth jumps
    seems to shift smoother with less clatter. you can get 8 speed xt
    triggers easy and low end cassette no problem. but if you are doing
    9 cogs stick with 9 speed, new push push shimano shifters a great.

I should be studying...
    YES!!! Shimano 8 speed was my favorite transmission--esp. the XT & XTR shifters & deraileurs. I could go weeks without having to adjust them. Where are you getting 8 speed parts? I used Shimano 9spd for while but was never satisfied so I went to Sram XO/X-9 and I am happy with this. I thought 8 spd had plenty gears to choose from and all the components in general were very reliable.
    Last edited by frank daleview; 10-23-2007 at 03:02 PM.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

"Carpe Diem"
    what about 7 speed? Is it good comparing it with the 8 and 9 speed? :?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you're going with only 1 ring up front, maybe go with the 9 spd. so you'd have a slightly wider range. For me at least, 9 spd. isn't any less reliable than 8spd was. I don't have shifting issues or driveline issues with 9 spd. Having said that, I don't see that many advantages to 9 spd. for those of us running triples up front. There is so much gearing overlap that I can't tell the difference between 8 and 9 spd. I only converted because I needed to replace some drivetrain stuff and 9 spd. was easier to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny K
    I am planning a new 29er build and am facing a dilemma. I can do a 1x8 or a 1x9 build for similar costs and weights. I already have the XTR 952 rear mech. to use. I just need to pick a shifter and cassette. What do I do? Is eight speed really more reliable? thanks.