mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Upset Eggbeaters unbreakable? Hardly.

On my last ride of the season I noticed that my right foot unclipped by itself a few times. Very strange as it very hard to jerk your foot off those pedals when crashing or something. What do you know. One of the brackets gave up.

Linked images for HUGENESS:
    http://impio.us/images/eggbeaters/IMG_0013.JPG
    http://impio.us/images/eggbeaters/IMG_0014.JPG

I'm kinda disappointed. I thought these things are bomb-proof. And it seems they gave up just from regular clipping/unclipping. I never bashed them against any rocks or run them over with a car either.

Now here's a kicker. I found out that CrankBros does warranty replacement through bunch of dealers. Luckily there is LBS like 10 mins away from me. I figured it would be easy to replace those things as I got them just this spring at Toronto's Bike Show. Not so it seems. I need to have a receipt to confirm that it was bought within 2 years of the provided warranty and not purchased online (WTF does that have to do with anything I don't know). I can't find the damn receipt and if I remember correctly it was just a debit payment slip, there's no product name on it even.

Meh, it was only 80bucks. Still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Also LBS piss me off sometimes. I try to avoid them as much as I can.

Texan
    Zanax.

mtbr member
    Wrap it up and ship it to Crank Bros. You will more than likely get a free replacement without a receipt. That is my experience.

banned
    Who said they were bombproof? All I hear about those things are the failures. That company has sent lots of folks back to Time and Shimano SPD.

Sure, Crank has great CS, as I've experienced as well, but it's because they need to provide that CS. Their products are junk. They work fine until a certain point, provided they don't blow apart first.

On your left!
    Apr 2007
    ^i've been riding the same pair of eggbeaters since they were invented, still working.

to the OP, check ebay next time, you can pick them up for <$40 nowadays.
    99 GF Big Sur SS 32x16
    07 GF HiFi Pro

02 Subaru WRX wagon
    06 Suzuki DRZ 450 SM

EastBaySteez
    Call up CB, they will hook it up. Rebuilt my Mallets after a season of DH and FR for free. New spindles.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by HOG farmer
    Wrap it up and ship it to Crank Bros. You will more than likely get a free replacement without a receipt. That is my experience.

Yup, I once shipped of 3 pairs of broken pedals. One pair was a late model that was taken of a older biek and rode for a solid season (these were the low model) and then the cracked just like yours. I said meh, i got my money outta them and tossed them aside. About a year later, i bent 2 sets of candy SL's in a matter of a week (the wings not the padel itself) I chucked the old egg c's in there as well. One week later, I had THREE new sets of pedals on my doorstep, not questions asked.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I broke one of my Candys on Friday. I just brought em back (w/ box) to Performancebike and they gave me store credit to buy a new pair. It also helped they were having the 20% off sale.

I went w/ the cheaper steel/chromoly eggbeaters this time and i'm liking them so far. Can't even tell there isnt a platform like on the Candys

Expert Crasher
    breaking a wing is not uncommon, just send it in and the "spa" treatment will result in a new wing.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

In dog years, I'm dead.
    From the photos & stated purchase price of $80, it looks like it was the C model. The SL's are more sturdy.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Been on the same set of SL's for over three years. Far from "junk". I looked at the original packaging and it does not say bombproof anywhere on it. A good product at a good price, with outstanding customer service. Five chilis from me.

Trying a little
    looks like your pedal broke. thanks for posting. I have SL's, I'm 190lbs, I hammer hard, I tag rocks with them all the time. I've never heard of anyone else' breaking.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H
    Zanax.
    I'm sorry, this is not "List contents of your bathroom medicine cabinet" thread. But thanks for playing.

Don't get me wrong, I like eggbeaters but was somewhat surprised they'd break like that. As per your comments I'll try contacting CrankBros directly and see what they will do. My new bike will come with Smarties so I'll see how they fare.

College Boy
    it is not the first time I seen it happen. One of the guys I ride with did that to one of his egg beaters as well and others have said they broken theirs as well. Ship them back to CB for replacements just they do not seem to stand up to the abuse as well as times and SPDs

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

I like Crank bro pedals

Just busted the wing on a pair of Candy Cs but i still like the pedals. Been using Eggbeaters for years and they are tough enough. I've cracked the body on Time Atacs and sear some screws off Shimano 500 something pedals, they all fail at some point.

Only 3 things i don't like about them are the cleats wear out too fast, you can't adjust the spring tension, and eggbeaters eat the soles on cheap shoes.

VPI
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I busted a wing on a set of mallets this summer sent them in replaces no problem. Sent a couple of sets in for a rebuild last year and replaced on rebuilt the other. The spa has great cs.

banned
    I have about 12,000 miles on my first gen eggbeaters, their service is the some of the best I have experienced, they have been flawless and I am not even tempted to try any other pedal, I do not like my candy Cs well....nothing is unbreakable, live with it dude.

wants a taco
    ive had my eggbeaters since they came out and have abused them with years of racing when i was about 215 lbs and i was not a finnese rider. They have always worked great except for a rebuild which was only $15 and very easy to do. The only time i hurt them was a bent spindle due to being hit by a car. Crank brothers got me a new pedal extremely quick. Best customer service ive ever seen from a company. I will never go to another pedal

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Get some TIMEs.
    or get replacements from CB and break them too.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I bashed my cro-mo EggBeaters on a rock the day after a race (while still at the venue), and was fortunate enough to hook up with Jason of Crank Bros. He replaced the pedal on the spot and suggested that the SL model and higher were better suited for rough, off-road terrain. Taking his advice, I've upgraded my pedals, and have had great results.

I can't say enough good things about the customer service, and their sponsorship of Grassroots racers is something that should be commended.

Talking mtb pedals is like talking about "values" in politics...everyone seems to have a strong opinion. Mine is a strong favorable opinion of CB.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Almost bought EB because they are lightweight and look cool but mtbr reviews made me look away and stick with Shimano XTs, too may complaints about these things breaking too easily. Everyone agrees on their superb CS though but I don't think it will matter much if the thing breaks and spoil your ride.

Double-metric mtb man
    I went to EB's because of where I live (sticky mud, slush and snow are common at some times in the year). I had a set of 520 Shimanos that if you had to dab at all, you couldn't get back in. EB's don't have that problem.

I've got a set of EB C's that have over 2000 miles on them at this point. I make sure they are well looked after (maintained) and they have served me well. For the $50 I paid for them, they have been a great investment.

Are they bombproof? No. Are they for everyone? No. Do I like them? Yes. They work with the way and the terrain I ride.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    I went to EB's because of where I live (sticky mud, slush and snow are common at some times in the year). I had a set of 520 Shimanos that if you had to dab at all, you couldn't get back in. EB's don't have that problem.
    Good point, there is virtually no mud where I ride and that's why better reliability, even if it is anecdotal, is of higher importance.

mtbr member
    I've been on my candy Cs since 2005 and have had NO problems. Like a few others, I'm above the 200# mark, and have bashed plenty of rocks and other stuff with them. My cleats are due for replacing this winter, but the pedals are still going strong. FWIW...