Gimme my MOJO!

Eggbeaters. HELP!!!

Just went for my first technical ride with my brand new eggbeaters. (new cleats also ofcourse). I have to say, I have never fallen so much before!!!

Ok, first some background. Been using Shimano 647s, then 959s, which in essence is the same as the 647s, without the resin cage. I also angled the cleat nose to point at my big toe. My experience with the SPDs so far as been, as soon as I twist outward slightly or sharply, they just SNAP right out and I can save my ass.

With the eggies, they dont so much as SNAP, rather than SLURP out of the pedals. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Its not an abrupt release, more like a "sticky" kinda release. Before anyone asks, yes, two little circles on the right foot, cleat twisted as far towards to big toe as possible, but even then, the cleat doesnt rotate as much as the SPD one did.

While the mud performance is superb and second to none, fact is, I fell much much more and that really sapped my confidence.

Anyone experience that? Do the cleats need to "break in"? If so, how long usually? Can I take a file to them? If so, what do I file off? Will spraying lube all over the pedal help? I dont think so, because the second mud starts contacting the pedals, it just sucks all lubricant off.

I'm getting really bummed over it. I still want to keep giving them a try, but with the way things are, its very frustrating...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Try putting the plastic shims under the cleats. The cleat pocket in the shoe may be too deep.

The release does get a bit looser after a break-in/wear period.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    And since it is a different release system you will get used to it if you give it time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree to try the shims, also, I trim the tread on my Carnac MTB shoes to make them work correctly, if not (and I don't use the shims) they would be a PAIN to release

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Eggbeaters (and Times) require about twice the twist for your foot to release, compared to SPDs. You might get used to it, but I didn't and switched back to SPDs (also based on poor durability of the Eggs, which have bushings where they need bearings).

mtbr member
    May 2004

I also just started using eggbeaters

and I find it too easy to disengage from the pedal. I sometimes disengage at the most inopportune moment, like when I'm trying to power up a rocky section. I also had spds, old 747s with worn out cleats.

with the brass cleat and steel pedal the two should not get "stuck" and lube is not necessary, I believe. As tcov mentioned... have you tried trimming away some of the bottom of the shoe. maybe there's blockage preventing good contact between the pedal and shoe. same problem was happening to a friend of mine. don't give up on them yet.

Gimme my MOJO!
    Tried the shims. Also tried to twist the cleats to an even more extreme angle. Still no good.

With the SPDs, I notice that once the contact point is reached (at max float angle, just about to start engaging the spring tension to release), its just a very slight amount of twist needed to unclip. With the eggbeaters at the same position, it takes much more twist to unclip...

At the moment, in my normal riding position, I'm already at the contact point, since I have twisted the cleats to point inwards so much.

Been through one dirty muddy ride. Lasted about 2-3 hours. Is that enough to "break" em in? Or should I still give em more time?

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Try putting the plastic shims under the cleats. The cleat pocket in the shoe may be too deep.

The release does get a bit looser after a break-in/wear period.

Savvy?
    I came from SPD style pedals to Eggbeaters, and my first few rides on the eggbeaters were horrible...as if I'd never used clipless in my life. I don't remember how long it took, but the cleats broke in and I've not had any problem since, as a matter of fact, I love my eggbeaters.

The cleats are made of brass (or something similar), so they should break in pretty fast.
    That which does not kill me, postpones the inevitable.

Gimme my MOJO!
    Whoa people, I went for a ride today, first ride after the initial tests using the shims + extra rotation of the cleats. As you can remember, the initial tests felt no different to what I was getting, but today was a real eye opener!

When I first pulled up in the parking lot and got the bike out and everything ready, we were still waiting for a few more friends, so I was just goofing around on the pedals and all, and I was thinking, man, I hope I dont screw up as badly as the last time again.

So, fast forward to the actual ride... I hit a very muddy section, front tire slipped a little, I dab a foot, correct the slip and continue... waitaminnit, Dab?? Wow! My foot actually released when I wanted it to! I didnt have to think about it, it just released! *grins*

I guess my confidence level is much better now, after that instinctive dab I did.

But not sure what contributed more to the newfound ability to release instantly. The shims, or the extra rotation of the cleats. Whaddya all think? I'm leaning towards the extra rotation, because I notice I still need the same amount of force to clip in. I mean, if I had shoe tread interference before, then with the shims, I should need much less force to clip in now right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I went from one year of SPDs to eggbeaters and after a month I finally made the switch back to SPDs but I wasn't having clipout problems, as a matter of fact I found my eggbeaters clipout very close to the smoothness of 959s. My problem with eggbeaters was clipping in as it doesn't make a very noticable click sound and feel everytime and sometimes I just can't find the pedal. With SPDs I can usually just throw my foot onto the pedal platform without thinking and it'll engage.

The one good thing I found with eggbeater cleats is that they're very easy to clean due to its one piece construction.

*Hotter than Hell*
    Aug 2005

cleat release

which shoe did you put the cleat with the two circles on? put the cleat with two circles on the right you get earlier release 15 degree, on the left it is 20 degrees. Speedgoat used to have shaved cleats ( less than 15 degree release ) but, I do not see them on their website
    anymore.

mtbr member

Smile

I pregrind mine for faster release. Im a chicken

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leleklegrunt

But not sure what contributed more to the newfound ability to release instantly. The shims, or the extra rotation of the cleats. Whaddya all think? I'm leaning towards the extra rotation, because I notice I still need the same amount of force to clip in. I mean, if I had shoe tread interference before, then with the shims, I should need much less force to clip in now right?
    both? the shims reduce contact with your shoes making it easier/quicker to rotate while the rotation of the cleats puts your foot in "ready" position to release...

i took the shims out because they made me feel loose and insecure in the pedals. i have candys and shimano shoes. i'm going to add some skateboard grip tape to the platforms eventually to improve wet performance; the platforms are utterly useless when wet. hopefully it'll help.

My Rusty Knee
    It took a while for me to get used to the extra release angle...but I love them now. I have never accidentally released my foot on eggies, i used to quite often on my bontrager spd style pedals.

They do seem to need to bed in though with new cleats. they can feel a little graunchy in my experience for the first few rides.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

Weapon of Choice

Eggbeaters

I like the eggbeaters alot and I use Nike Carnac cleats, They release when they should for me so thats been very good. Unfortunately they are a bit tricky to clip in, havent gotten used to that yet.

Gimme my MOJO!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman69
    I like the eggbeaters alot and I use Nike Carnac cleats, They release when they should for me so thats been very good. Unfortunately they are a bit tricky to clip in, havent gotten used to that yet.
    ??
    Never heard of those. Any links?