Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

eggbeaters: foot pulling out easily?

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  robc in wi 
#1 ·
I have a couple set of Crank Brothers pedals, some older than others. Recently I have notice that one of my older sets of eggbeaters is causing me some trouble because my cleat is pulling out of the pedal. This is happening on two sets of shoes, one with (worn) but not worn out) cleats and the other has cleats that are only slightly/moderately worn.

Do the pedals themselves wear out eventually? Anyone else having this problem?

#2 ·
FishMan473 said:
I have a couple set of Crank Brothers pedals, some older than others. Recently I have notice that one of my older sets of eggbeaters is causing me some trouble because my cleat is pulling out of the pedal. This is happening on two sets of shoes, one with (worn) but not worn out) cleats and the other has cleats that are only slightly/moderately worn.

Do the pedals themselves wear out eventually? Anyone else having this problem?
Check for wear on the pedal "wings." You can feel if they are thinner in the middle. I have worn out two pairs of 'Beaters that way.

#3 ·
I just checked these pedals compared to some almost-new ones on my wife's bike with my calipers, and I figure there is about a .08 mm difference in thickness of the "wing" in the middle. I can't image that little bit would matter. Looking at the shoes, one pair has rather new cleats while the cleats on the other pair are nearly goners. But in both cases, both pairs of shoes are pretty torn up, compared to the newer shoes that I don't (think) I have a problem with.

#5 ·
Maybe I wasn't clear, what I meant to say was that on one of the pair of shoes I am having trouble with the cleats are nearly new, I think they now have been used for 3 CX races and maybe 3 rides. The other cleats are definitely worn out, and both pairs of shoes are pretty beat up.

#7 ·
FishMan473 said:
Maybe I wasn't clear, what I meant to say was that on one of the pair of shoes I am having trouble with the cleats are nearly new, I think they now have been used for 3 CX races and maybe 3 rides. The other cleats are definitely worn out, and both pairs of shoes are pretty beat up.
I missed that both pairs of shoes are worn. If the soles have worn down and do not contact the pedal body (on each side of the wings) as much it is much easier to clip out. Can feel "skatey".

A quick way to check is put a few wraps of electrical tape around the pedal and ride them. If it helps, either build up the soles of the shoes or put some heat shrink tubing or vinyl tubing on the pedals.

#9 ·
So Shiggy, when you are talking about the pedal "body" you are talking about the ribbed section on either side of the wings? And that is where I should wrap up a little tape? It really only needs to be a temporary fix, the one pair of shoes is going in the trash after 2 more CX races, and the other... well they are around-town shoes so high performance is not a big deal (though they do have a bad habit of clipping out while crossing busy streets!).

#10 ·
FishMan473 said:
So Shiggy, when you are talking about the pedal "body" you are talking about the ribbed section on either side of the wings? And that is where I should wrap up a little tape? It really only needs to be a temporary fix, the one pair of shoes is going in the trash after 2 more CX races, and the other... well they are around-town shoes so high performance is not a big deal (though they do have a bad habit of clipping out while crossing busy streets!).
Yup,

#11 ·
Check to see if you have the cleats oriented correctly. Eggbeater cleats have 2 possible settings, early release and late release.. One of the cleats has dots on it and whether you mount the dots on the right or the left shoe determines the setting. This is straight from the Eggbeater C instruction that came with my pedals. The early release setting releases VERY easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.