mtbr member

Eggbeater seized up and broke off the crank arm

I bought a set of Eggbeater MXR pedals a few weeks ago, and yesterday the left one seized up and broke off the crank arm, ruining the threading (have to buy a new crankset).

I'd noticed when I got them that the left one spun less freely than the right one, and that there was some creaking on the downstroke, but I thought it might just need some running in. Now it seems that it was somehow defected from the start, leading to it eventually seizing up completely.

When it fell off I noticed that the end caps had fallen off both pedals, and that the bolt inside was sticking out a bit further on the left one, as if the casing is sitting further up on the axle. Not by much, but enough so that it looked unusual.

And just for the record I weigh 160lbs and do normal XC riding, so this is not a case of clydesdale freeriding or anything of the sort.

When it fell off I was doing 40-50km/h and spinning like mad (1X9 setup), so it could've been a rather nasty incident. I'm not particularly keen on getting a new set of the MXR model, obviously, so I was hoping they'd send me a more expensive model as compensation. There's no CB dealer here in Iceland where I live, but I sent them an email and hopefully they'll be able to help.

Apart from the defect, I wasn't all that impressed with the build quality of the MXRs, with the creaking, the end caps falling off -- can I expect more of the same from the C or SL models for example?

And has anyone had something like this happen with their Eggbeaters?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by helgi
    I bought a set of Eggbeater MXR pedals a few weeks ago, and yesterday the left one seized up and broke off the crank arm, ruining the threading (have to buy a new crankset).

I'd noticed when I got them that the left one spun less freely than the right one, and that there was some creaking on the downstroke, but I thought it might just need some running in. Now it seems that it was somehow defected from the start, leading to it eventually seizing up completely.

When it fell off I noticed that the end caps had fallen off both pedals, and that the bolt inside was sticking out a bit further on the left one, as if the casing is sitting further up on the axle. Not by much, but enough so that it looked unusual.

And just for the record I weigh 160lbs and do normal XC riding, so this is not a case of clydesdale freeriding or anything of the sort.

When it fell off I was doing 40-50km/h and spinning like mad (1X9 setup), so it could've been a rather nasty incident. I'm not particularly keen on getting a new set of the MXR model, obviously, so I was hoping they'd send me a more expensive model as compensation. There's no CB dealer here in Iceland where I live, but I sent them an email and hopefully they'll be able to help.

Apart from the defect, I wasn't all that impressed with the build quality of the MXRs, with the creaking, the end caps falling off -- can I expect more of the same from the C or SL models for example?

And has anyone had something like this happen with their Eggbeaters?
    The MXR is the entry level, non-rebuildable model. Basically as cheap as possible.

Get the SL version. MUCH better and can be serviced.

You should be able to repair your crank arm threads. There are helicoil thread replacement kits available.

Crank Brothers should take care of you. If you can not get the SLs let me know and I will help you get them.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Thanks! That would be fantastic.

I really like the eggbeater design, so I look forward to trying proper ones.

willtsmith_nwi
    How were the threads damaged? Did it break inside the threading taking a few threads with it?

Crank Brothers has a great product with a sometimes rough implementation. Thought their customer service is stellar. I am a REALLY big guy and I've managed to break Mallet C axels. Crank Brothers sent me replacement axels no problem. They've since upgraded the metallurgy so I have no problems.

mtbr member
    The axle itself didn't break, but rather snapped out of the crank arm in a way that ruined the threading.

I think 'sheared off' is the correct term for this.

local trails rider
    The guys at the LBS once showed me a plastic tray full of broken Eggbeater bearings. I forgot to ask them if they felt there were differences between the models.

At that shop they sell Shimano but I went for Time pedals and they have been working well for a couple of years now. They are obviously heavier than Eggbeaters.

A wheelist
    Crank Bros will give you the best service that they can. I had dealings with them recently and it couldn't have been better. Customer Service person Anka was immediate with her replies. My parts (a re-build kit) arrived quickly. The pedal bearings (on the lady racer's bike I mechanic) just plain wore out from much use.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

willtsmith_nwi

Waaah ...

Quote Originally Posted by helgi
    The axle itself didn't break, but rather snapped out of the crank arm in a way that ruined the threading.

I think 'sheared off' is the correct term for this.
    OK, is the axel still in one piece? If so, are the threads on the pedal still intact "with shavings". Or was the pedal stripped of it's threads leaving shavings inside the pedal threads.

In case of the latter, you can have someone retap the threads. No helicoils are required. If the former is the case, it was the cranks fault ... not the pedal.

mtbr member
    Just to be clear, it wasn't an issue with worn threading or anything to do with the cranks. The pedal seized up and stopped spinning on its axle, and because I was pedaling at high RPM the entire pedal was spun/snapped out of the crank arm.

The threading on the pedal is still okay, apart from a bit of damage from when it hit the ground, but the threading in the crank arm is ruined. I could probably have it fixed, but I was on my way to upgrade the cranks anyway.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The MXR is the entry level, non-rebuildable model. Basically as cheap as possible.

Get the SL version. MUCH better and can be serviced.

You should be able to repair your crank arm threads. There are helicoil thread replacement kits available.

Crank Brothers should take care of you. If you can not get the SLs let me know and I will help you get them.
    Uh, no matter what you think of them, there is no excuse if this is what happened. You shouldn't have to buy the "SL" model just to get something what wont ruin your cranks.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    So did it come out or snap? If your pedal bearings were to sieze completly, the pedal would come off while riding. If the pedal just unthreaded part way, and then stripped the threads in your crank because it was no longer theaded in fully, this sounds like an issue of improper installation. I doubt that the bearings siezed so completly as to be able to unthread a properly installed pedal. They can get a bit stiff, but that siezed? Unlikely. Based on how the ones I've taken apart (Eggbeater SLs, Mallet Cs, and Acid 1s), it seems that, even if the bearing was to become completly sized, it would be easier to turn the bearing in its housing than unthread your pedal, given that the pedal was torqued properly. It's quite a loose fit in there.

I could be misunderstanding you entirely though. It would be exceedingly helpful if you could post a pic. Thus far your language has been a bit vague, at least to me.

mtbr member
    English is not my first language, so I'm not sure what the correct terms are for what happened exactly. Snapped off, sheared off, came off -- all I know is that the pedal stopped spinning and subsequently came off the crank arm.

And yes, it seized completely -- I can't turn it no matter how hard I try. The pedal was threaded in properly, then it seized up while I was pedaling and the force of it somehow snapped it out of the crank arm, leaving aluminum filings in the outer part of the crank threading. I don't really see how it should be able to happen like that, but it did.

As I said, it was a bit stiff when I got it which was probably because it was not assembled correctly. I thought it just needed to be broken in, but had I known more about it I might have been able to loosen it up.
    But the only step in the installation process is to put them onto the cranks, no assembly required and nothing to do with adjusting the bearings or anything.

Not sure how I can explain it better, but I'll take some pictures when I can (the hard drive in my Powerbook died last night -- it's Crap Consumer Experience Week over here)

willtsmith_nwi
    I find it weird that a pedal would not squeak and become hard to turn before it completely siezed. The only possibility I could think of for this is that you busted a bearing and the fragments lodged in a way that wedged into another.

No the pedal should not sieze but the crank arm should be able to handle the load if you were just spinning instead of standing and mashing in a low gear. A pox on both their houses. +1 to steel crank pedal thread inserts.

local trails rider
    ... weird ...
    I just remembered that my flat pedals got very sticky a couple of years ago. So sticky that pedaling made one of them fall off because the threads are in that direction.

I would have thought that a seized bearing would do the same thing: just unscrew the pedal from the crank, unless there was more than one thing wrong.

Are you sure you installed the pedals correctly?

mtbr member
    Here are some photos. Note how the left one sits lower on the spindle/axle -- I'm not entirely sure how the inner construction looks or works exactly, but I'm guessing it was tightened too much on assembly and ended up crushing the bearings. I didn't notice that the left one was sitting further down on the spindle until the incident, because I'd never taken the end caps off.

Regarding the questions: Yes, they were installed correctly (not very complicated) and yes it seized up suddenly. Just pedaling along and then *snap.*
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feet back and spread 'em!
    May 2004
    i think i can visualize what happened. since the left pedal is left hand thread, when the bearing seized, the pedaling action unscrewed it until a few threads were remaining, and then it tore out, screwing up the soft aluminum threads. does this make sense?
    the time is right for violent revolution

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecop
    when the bearing seized, the pedaling action unscrewed it until a few threads were remaining, and then it tore out, screwing up the soft aluminum threads. does this make sense?
    hmmm... that would make sense. Could it mean that part of the treads are OK? Maybe not enough to install a pedal securely, though.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that makes sense. I was just spinning so fast that it felt as if they had snapped out all at once.

I have a new crankset now, and it was time for a replacement anyway. Looking forward to putting new Eggbeaters on it, after a careful quality inspection of course