mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Eggbeater Question

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm going clipless and I have the chance to pick up a pair of used stainless eggbeaters for 30 bucks, so i jumped on it. I just got a pair of pearl izumi vagabond II shoes on sale at rei for 49 bucks. (They have plastic soles--very stiff)
    I'm wondering if this is ok for my all mountain bike (prophet 600) I'm going to order the bike on monday. I've heard that these pedals are only good for xc, and you dont want to do hard cranking and or/moderate jumping etc. Is this true? Would i be better with a candy? It seems to me like the eggbeater would be easier to get into.
    Thanks alot.
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

should be fine

the only problem is the obvious lack of platform to stomp on if ur not clipped in. i've never had an issue with this and find that i can still pedal and ride (shortish) bits unclipped, it sux cause u don't have the security of being attached to the pedals but i don't feel like my foot's gonna slip off the pedal or anything. now i only ride aggresive xc, not crazy downhill stuff and jumps and stuff so it may be more of an issue if u really are getting into that stuff. as for candy's, i can't see how the tiny bit more platform would be such a help (admittedly i've never tried them though), all i see is half the number of entry points!

give them a crack and see if you like them, unless u weigh a ton you're not going to break them so no probs there.

mtbr member
    when u pick up the eggs make sure the cleats are not to worn down. might be fine for learning clipless but u might want something a bit tighter (new cleats) when u ride.

viva la v-brakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by whippet
    as for candy's, i can't see how the tiny bit more platform would be such a help (admittedly i've never tried them though)
    I have tried it and I can tell you the Candy's are no better a platform when you're clipped out then the eggbeaters. I bought a pair of eggbeaters myself and was amazed that they were no more difficult to pedal on unclipped then my old Times. I tried a friends Candy's to compare and there was no noticeable difference in how well my foot stayed on the pedal unclipped. I'm pretty sure they're just a physiological ploy for those people who were freaking out about not having a platform on the Eggbeaters.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

willtsmith_nwi

Not Candy's MALLETS ...

Quote Originally Posted by chris_nor_cal
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm going clipless and I have the chance to pick up a pair of used stainless eggbeaters for 30 bucks, so i jumped on it. I just got a pair of pearl izumi vagabond II shoes on sale at rei for 49 bucks. (They have plastic soles--very stiff)
    I'm wondering if this is ok for my all mountain bike (prophet 600) I'm going to order the bike on monday. I've heard that these pedals are only good for xc, and you dont want to do hard cranking and or/moderate jumping etc. Is this true? Would i be better with a candy? It seems to me like the eggbeater would be easier to get into.
    Thanks alot.
    Chris
    If you want a platform, just go for the Mallet. The Candies will really only help you if you're wearing street shoes. Mallets help in both scenarios.

$30 for a pair of stainless egg-beaters is killer. That is a great price to "learn" and see if your happy with just the mechanism (no platform combo).

BTW, if you're new to clipless, you can "cheat" on egg-beater release angle by pointing the cleat at your big toe. That will get you down to 8-10 percent release angle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    cool thanks guys

banned
    I have seen BMX'ers using then so I would assume they'd be alright,

Fashionably functional...
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    If you want a platform, just go for the Mallet. The Candies will really only help you if you're wearing street shoes. Mallets help in both scenarios.

$30 for a pair of stainless egg-beaters is killer. That is a great price to "learn" and see if your happy with just the mechanism (no platform combo).

BTW, if you're new to clipless, you can "cheat" on egg-beater release angle by pointing the cleat at your big toe. That will get you down to 8-10 percent release angle.
    How are the Mallets with regular sneakers??? I have them on my Heckler and this weekend had a really bad crash. I botched a jump and couln't clip out in time and ended up landing on my head with the bike coming down on top of me. The trip to the ER gave me time to wonder if I should've sold my platforms. I ride trails to get to my jumps so the clipless helps through that but damn I'm feeling like sh!t right now.
    As far as the regular Eggs, I use them on my road bike and XC racer. Love them. Clips in and out great. The platform of the Mallet and Candy actually works against you at times. And depending on the shoes, it may need to have the lugs grinded down to work right. For the price, you really can't go wrong as long as the cleats are in good condition. Otherwise, adding $20 cleats, you might as well buy new.
    What's the joy of living if you can't feel alive???