Low Rep Count

Egg Beater 3 ????

When replacing the spindles:

1. Do I simply remove the end cap, remove the nut, slide the spindle out of the other end?
    2. Anything I should be concerned about?
    3. Tricks to getting the end caps off without scratching/screwing them up?
    4. Any worry of springs coming off the body or anything like that?

Just trying to be mentally prepared for this once the new pedals and spindles arrive in the next day or so.
    Last edited by 1SPD; 09-27-2011 at 07:30 AM.

mtbr member
    1. Do I simply remove the end cap, remove the nut, slide the spindle out of the other end? Pretty much

2. Anything I should be concerned about?Make sure you grease the spindle before installation.

3. Tricks to getting the end caps off without sc
    ratching/screwing them up?
    Key for not scratching the end cap is to not worry about it. They are pedals for goodness sake, they are going to get scratched.

4. Any worry of springs coming off the body or anything like that?The springs will not move.

Also, I know from the other thread, but you may want to add this is for the 3's.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

Low Rep Count
    Thanks. I suspected that it would be fairly simple. I should clarify that I'm not stressed about cosmetic damage to the caps but was more so referring to stripping out the slot if they are on super tight or something.

EVnut
    dragging this one up from the dead... those endcaps ARE on tight (likely lock-tighted). And I have yet to find the proper tool for removal. Crank Brothers says they have a "special" tool. Yeah, no kidding. Where is it for sale?? That slot in the cap is VERY easy to mess up since it is soft Al, and the slot is shallowest at the edges where it will receive the most abuse. If anybody has a solution for getting those caps off, I'd love to hear it!
    -= Darell The EVnut

Low Rep Count
    I ended up just using a large bladed screw driver and had no problems. It is almost easier to remove them while they are attached to the crank. Once opened up, Yes, mine had lock tight on them. After swapping out the spindles/axles to ti, I simply put a drop of blue lock tight back on them. I took them off again the other day with the same screw driver and had no problems.

EVnut
    Excellent. Thanks 1spd. I need another screwdriver like a need a hole in the head, but I just don't have one that's wide ENOUGH apparently. Time to go shopping. Good tip re. leaving the spindle on the crank arm Makes sense. I've rebuilt my older 'beaters with no problems (plastic end cap). But so far I coudn't bring myself to f'up my jeweled 11's! (Note, the 11's are on my road bike.... 3's on the mtb's).
    -= Darell The EVnut

Low Rep Count
    No worries, just to save yourself some frustration, take the pedal off the bike and take it with you to the store to find the screw driver that fits. That could save your from making several trips. I got lucky and just happened to have one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    When replacing the spindles:

3. Tricks to getting the end caps off without scratching/screwing them up?
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread...but the small end of a combination chainring bolt wrench/crank dust cap wrench fits perfectly without gouging out the slot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Make sure your screwdriver is in perfect condition.

I have the correct-size screwdriver but it still slipped & damaged the slot. The screwdriver is old & was slightly worn. I squared up the blade with a bench grinder, and the cap came off easily.

I cleaned the damaged slot with a flat "needle" file, and used a drop of green Loc-Tite for reassembly