mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here. EF-29 shifters with Deore rear drailleur and Alivio front derailleur?

I was able to get a hold of a Deore rear derailleur and an Alivio front dreailleur for little $$ as an inexpensive upgrade to my Acera derailleurs (I have a Specialized HR) and I wanted to use my existing EF-29 shifters with the new components - this should work, right?

The Trek 4500, for example, uses the Deore rear, Alivio front, Alivio (ST-MC18) shifters, but I'm having a hard time finding the Alivio shifters and I want to use the EF-29 shifters/brake levers I have in the mean time.

Thanks,
    Mike

Complete Bastard
    Yes it'll work.

"El Whatever"

Yes they work....

No problem there. Next upgrade get the 9 sp Deore cogset, chain and Shifters/levers. It will not break the bank account and will make a world of difference. A hundred bucks more less. you can keep the Acera/Alivio cranks and front derr. Just do not expect smooth shifts up front as the cranks should not be ramped for 9sp. But just shift on-time (before putting excessive tension on the chain) and you will have a happy drivetrain.

Or you can toss in $80 bucks more and get the Deore cranks and BB. They will not let you down.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    That's good news - thanks.