mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Eagle XX1 chain wear?!

Hi, i recently had some issues with my xx1 drivetrain. Derailleur started to work poorly. Checked the chain with a tool (a no-name one with no measurement percentages at all) and it doesn't dropping into the chain yet though. The thing is that i realized that my chain doesn't fit properly to the biggest 50t cog. So this looks like the chain is worn! I search it on sram's site and sram claims that you have to change the whole drivetrain together when chain extents by 0.8%. At another forum a mech asks sram and they replied to him that this chain can wear two chainrings before you have to change it! So how this thing works with this drivetrain? Do i have to change cassette and chairing too? In which percentage do i have to change chain? 0.5? 0.8?

mtbr member
    Chain doesn't fit biggest cog? If you shift the chain by one tooth on the cog does it fit correctly? The big cog does have a specific narrow-link/wide-link fit. Normally, if you shift to the largest cog and the chain is 1 tooth off, it'll skip on the cog until it fits properly.
    Do the math.

MCMXCV

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cycloholic View Post
    Hi, i recently had some issues with my xx1 drivetrain. Derailleur started to work poorly. Checked the chain with a tool (a no-name one with no measurement percentages at all) and it doesn't dropping into the chain yet though. The thing is that i realized that my chain doesn't fit properly to the biggest 50t cog. So this looks like the chain is worn! I search it on sram's site and sram claims that you have to change the whole drivetrain together when chain extents by 0.8%. At another forum a mech asks sram and they replied to him that this chain can wear two chainrings before you have to change it! So how this thing works with this drivetrain? Do i have to change cassette and chairing too? In which percentage do i have to change chain? 0.5? 0.8?
    Hmm, didnt noticed that, but with new chain derealeur shifts better, not excellence though for 1000 euros drivetrain!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    First picture was exactly the issue with my old(but probably not worn) chain. Ill see what will happen with the new one!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Just checked with the new chain to jump a tooth on 50t and yes it has a wide-narrow pattern for sure. The good thing is that i shift to 3rd cog and then back to 42 and 50 and it syncronize byitself. So the big question again is why the hell my rear deraileur wont shift good enough? (Worst than all shimano i have ever ridden ) To explain it better, sometimes it miss a shift, lets say when i shift upwards, so i give some more tension with the barrel but then it dosnt shift downwards correctly. When i adjust it to shift good downwards i can see the derailer is not exactly down to the larger cogs but a bit to the side of the small cogs. It actually seems that if i adjust it to work correctly in the half smaller part of cassete it will not shift correctly in the upper half and vise versa. FYI: cables changed, hanger is new, also i have tried a trigger shifter instead(now i have gripshift again) with no luck. Maybe a bent deraileur? But it hasnt even a small scratch on it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Any advice about chain wear? Change it at 0.5 and change cassette and chainrings every three chains? Or something else?

mtbr member
    You should check the derailleur hanger, if it's off it can cause the problems you're describing and Eagle drivetrains are reportedly sensitive to hanger alignment.

I'm just on 10 speed but I change chains before .075 (6-800 miles) and can usually run 3 on a cassette. I used to run at least that many on chainrings too but now I'm 1x so I don't expect that anymore.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Hanger is brand new. Yes 10 speed systems works like this, but the question is how a 12 speed eagle works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cycloholic View Post
    Hanger is brand new. Yes 10 speed systems works like this, but the question is how a 12 speed eagle works.

New hangers aren't always aligned correctly, if it were me I'd check it.

I can't say exactly how Eagle drivetrains wear compared to others but in some respects they're all the same, and one of those is that the longer you run a worn chain the faster the wear on the cogs and chainring. Due to the price of Eagle cassettes I'd be very proactive about replacing chains and for sure I'd replace before .8% wear.
    I brake for stinkbugs

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post

I can't say exactly how Eagle drivetrains wear compared to others but in some respects they're all the same, and one of those is that the longer you run a worn chain the faster the wear on the cogs and chainring. Due to the price of Eagle cassettes I'd be very proactive about replacing chains and for sure I'd replace before .8% wear.
    ^ All this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Usually this happens in new bikes when they are tranported i suppose, it makes sense that way. But a brand new hanger how is possible to be bent? But anyway ill check it with a tool to be sure, although is the 3rd one i tried! About chain wear, in generaly it works like this and i dunno why the eagle is an excemption(is it?), but just asking cause i have seen some weird rumors on forums like it can last the timelife of two cassetes. Also sram claimed you changing all the drivetrain in 0.8. Thanks for the help!

MCMXCV
    Chains are cheap. I don't even own a chain checker as I just change my chain every 600-700 miles and call it a day.

It's not so much that "a new hanger is bent", but rather how that hanger interfaces with your particular frame..... think of them as a unit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    It's not so much that "a new hanger is bent", but rather how that hanger interfaces with your particular frame..... think of them as a unit.
    I see, this indeed makes sense!! Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Wich 12 speeds do you have? Is your cassette 10-50?
    Is it 11-50?
    Around here the NX is popular because of pricing but many suggest to stay away.
    I am on an 11 speeds XO1 (10-42)and it is the best transmission in my opinion.
    It is the reason i bought 2 bikes.
    One of the previous suggestion is the key or the NX is to be avoided.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Xx1 10-50. The only thing I haven't change is the derailleur (and cassette) and I'm afraid my derailleur is bent somehow.

Απεστάλη από Redmi Note 5A Prime using Mtbr.com Forums

mtbr member
    Chains are cheap. I don't even own a chain checker as I just change my chain every 600-700 miles and call it a day
    and chain checkers are far cheaper! If a $10 chain checker can help you know you can safely get,say, 1200 miles from the same $40 chain, then you can really save a lot over the years

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn View Post
    and chain checkers are far cheaper! If a $10 chain checker can help you know you can safely get,say, 1200 miles from the same $40 chain, then you can really save a lot over the years
    Or $80 for the XX1ís!

MCMXCV
    My 10-42 cassette and steel toothed XT chainring currently have 4,300 miles on them with no end in sight, so I'll just keep on doing it my way.

And if you're paying $80 for an XX1 chain, then you need to do a better job of shopping..... I can get 2 XX1s for $80

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    My 10-42 cassette and steel toothed XT chainring currently have 4,300 miles on them with no end in sight, so I'll just keep on doing it my way.

And if you're paying $80 for an XX1 chain, then you need to do a better job of shopping..... I can get 2 XX1s for $80
    As long as you know that everything is going to have to be changed when you finally do. Not a big deal with $80 Shimano cassettes, but it IS a big deal with $200 SRAM cassettes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Link for a $40 Eagle XX1 chain please? My shopping skills suck compared to yours, all the online shops are $80 black ones and $85 gold ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    As long as you know that everything is going to have to be changed when you finally do. Not a big deal with $80 Shimano cassettes, but it IS a big deal with $200 SRAM cassettes.

For some an $80 cassette is a big deal, for others a $200 one isn't. I'm in the former group.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    For some an $80 cassette is a big deal, for others a $200 one isn't. I'm in the former group.
    An $80 XT cassette should last me at least 3,500-4,000 miles (because I live in the desert), if not well in excess of 5,000. That's like three years for a weekend warrior. How many people are putting that many miles on the same bike, and how long does it take them?

For a wear item, that's cheap for what you get.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    For a wear item, that's cheap for what you get.
    I don't get that many miles out of a cassette (please, no drivetrain maintenance lectures!)

Like I said, it's all relative. For many $200 is chump change.
    I brake for stinkbugs

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by farfromovin View Post
    Link for a $40 Eagle XX1 chain please? My shopping skills suck compared to yours, all the online shops are $80 black ones and $85 gold ones.
    I have 11 speed, not Eagle. I can get XX1 11 speed all day for $40, although I prefer the $25 X1. I have a SRAM cassette for what it's worth.

Carry on..........