Phil from San Diego

E-Type Front Deraillures

Weight aside, are E-Type deraillures supposed to be better then the post mount deraillures?

My bike came with e-type Acera FD and I thought it was a low quality component.. but then I notice there are e-type deraillures up to XT... I remember someone saying the e-type was designed to prevent chain-suck... and this weekend I experienced the benefit first hand. A couple of times, my chain was dropping off the smallest front chain ring while I was shifting under pressure. For a split second, I thought.. crap.. there goes the chain and I'm walking the bike back. =/ but lo and behold! the chain backed out easily because the metal bracket of the deraillure prevented the chain from getting stuck between the chain ring and the BB/frame!

And I was thinking about replacing the e-type deraillure with a seatpost mounted FD... now I'm not sure if I shouldn't just stay with the e-type. The FD works fine even though it's only an Acera.. so perhaps.. "don't fix it unless it's broken?"

Phil.

Gimme my MOJO!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prexus2005
    Weight aside, are E-Type deraillures supposed to be better then the post mount deraillures?

My bike came with e-type Acera FD and I thought it was a low quality component.. but then I notice there are e-type deraillures up to XT... I remember someone saying the e-type was designed to prevent chain-suck... and this weekend I experienced the benefit first hand. A couple of times, my chain was dropping off the smallest front chain ring while I was shifting under pressure. For a split second, I thought.. crap.. there goes the chain and I'm walking the bike back. =/ but lo and behold! the chain backed out easily because the metal bracket of the deraillure prevented the chain from getting stuck between the chain ring and the BB/frame!

And I was thinking about replacing the e-type deraillure with a seatpost mounted FD... now I'm not sure if I shouldn't just stay with the e-type. The FD works fine even though it's only an Acera.. so perhaps.. "don't fix it unless it's broken?"

Phil.
    First off, I think you need to diffrentiate what is chain suck and what is the chain dropping off your rings. When you chain drops off either towards your frame off the small ring, or towards your pedals off the big ring, that is NOT chain suck. Thats just a poorly adjusted derailer. Chainsuck is when the chain wraps all the way around the chainring and jams between the chainstay and the rings/cranks.

Etype derailers do nothing to prevent this (real chainsuck) from happening.

And yeah, if it aint broken, dont fix it.

Chrome Toaster
    E type derailleurs were actually designed to allow bike with unusualy shaped tubes that make it impossible to clamp a standard derailleur around the BB to be able to use a front derrailleur. One of the added side effects of this system is that it sort of becomes a chain guard to keep the chain from falling into the BB shell. That is not chainsuck though. Chainsuck as explained above is when the chain doesn't release the teeth on the bottom of the front rings and wraps all the way around until it wedges into the chainstay.
    The problem with E-type derrailleurs besides needeing a bottom bracket cup capable of holding one is that they offer little adjustability. I'm pretty sure they have no up and down adjustment so you need to buy them depending on the front chainring size you will need. They don't shift as well as a clamp mounted models either. The clamp provides a stiff secure hold on the derailleur. The plate on an E-type will flex some due to its length and thats not good. A properly adjusted clamp mount is better.

Hail to the King, baby

Until one day, when you don't notice...

Quote Originally Posted by Prexus2005
    A couple of times, my chain was dropping off the smallest front chain ring while I was shifting under pressure. For a split second, I thought.. crap.. there goes the chain and I'm walking the bike back. =/ but lo and behold! the chain backed out easily because the metal bracket of the deraillure prevented the chain from getting stuck between the chain ring and the BB/frame!

Phil.
    that your chain dropped, and you are hammering on the pedals, then this can happen.

@#$%^&* Shimano bottom bracket mounted derailler

old_dude
    Parties are a cancer on democracy.

Parties are like *****. Any gets in, you're f'cked.

A party vote IS a wasted vote.

Phil from San Diego
    Ah.. Thanks for the replies. Guess I don't have my mtb lingo down yet. =p

Sounds like if I had a well adjusted quality post mount deraillure, the chain wouldn't fall off the small chain ring in the first place to need the mounting plate of the e-type to keep the chain in place.

I'll keep riding it till it breaks or if the chain keeps on falling off... then i'll be back asking you guys what cranks/BB/FD to get.

Phil.