No talent hack
    Nov 2010

E-Type front deraileur (question about bottom bracket)

I ride a 2001 Trek STP 200. I have always been a little disappointed with the OEM Bontrager cranks on it and have wanted to upgrade to something better (more modern). The bike has an E type front derailleur. My question is pretty simple... would I have to buy a special e type BB or can any BB be "made" into an e type? Or is this all pointless and I just need to save my pennies for a new bike? :laugh:

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I only ask because I really am not seeing the e type anything listed on Shimano's current site... and the bike is OCLV Carbon, so I really would like to not clamp to the seat tube...

Former Bike Wrench
    All the Shimano external crankset BB's are designed to use a e-type derailleur on both 68mm and 73mm bottom bracket shells (by simply removing one of the drive side spacers). The Truvativ system can accommodate a e-type with a 68mm shell, but not with a 73mm shell as far as I know.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    So for my newbie (yet old) assed self, ANY of the new stuff works perfectly well? Very nice and very well done Shimano...

Thank you. 72, for the quick concise answer

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi !
    I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.