Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    15

    e.thirteen XC external bottom bracket alternatives

    I have got a set of e13 XC cranks... 30mm axel...

    Has anyone found an alternative to their own brand bb - and can you swap out the bearings easily, like the shimano ones??

  2. #2
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by neilforrow View Post
    I have got a set of e13 XC cranks... 30mm axel...

    Has anyone found an alternative to their own brand bb - and can you swap out the bearings easily, like the shimano ones??
    I don't think there is any alternative out there.
    They are standard BB30 bearings, pop them out of the cups and add whatever type you want.
    There is a large selection of BB30 bearings available and that's one of the nice features of this bottom bracket design.

    Leave the cups in the frame and use a standard BB30 bearing removal tool or have a LBS do it.

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    15
    thanks for the info, easy enough then. Shame no-one else has got on it and produced an aftermarket bb for them.

    Neil.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,856
    On a positive note, replacement bb cups with bearings from e.13 are only $50. Replacement bearings are hard to find for much less than that. You can also pry off the seal and relube them.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bholwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,100
    I'll be mounting an e.thirteen crank on my new build soon. I hope the BB lasts, but when it goes I'll be replacing the bearings with Enduro's -> Universal Cycles -- Enduro BB30 Bearing Kit

    I'm using these now on my carbon hardtail with BB30 BB, and they're lasting much longer than the TruVativ bearings they replaced.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,856
    $23 is not bad. Can anyone recommend a good BB30 bearing removal tool? Unless I'm missing something Enduroseal's is meant to be used on bearings that are pressed into the frame. BB30 Bearing Puller/Press from Real World Cycling

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bholwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,100
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    $23 is not bad. Can anyone recommend a good BB30 bearing removal tool? Unless I'm missing something Enduroseal's is meant to be used on bearings that are pressed into the frame. BB30 Bearing Puller/Press from Real World Cycling
    140 bucks? This is all you need for a bb30 BB -> Park Tool BBT-30.3 > Accessories > Tools > Bottom Bracket Tools | Jenson USA Use a threaded rod, some washers, and a couple nuts in conjunction with the two bushings to press the bearings in.

    The bearing removal tool will not work with the e.thirteen cups, however. The inside diameter of the cups (at the threaded portion) is only slightly larger than the inside diameter of the bearings, so the tool will not fit inside. I plan on trying to tap them out with a flathead screwdriver when the time comes.

    EDIT: I forgot I had this: Park RT-1 Headset Cup Remover > Accessories > Tools > Headset tools | Jenson USA This might be better than a screwdriver for removing the e.thirteen BB bearings from the cups.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    181
    No idea if it would actually work, but it might be worth investigating FSA's threaded BB for their new BB 386Evo cranks. It's threaded and designed for a 30mm spindle.

    Of course, I think the MSRP is as much or more than the e.13...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,856
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    140 bucks? This is all you need for a bb30 BB -> Park Tool BBT-30.3 > Accessories > Tools > Bottom Bracket Tools | Jenson USA Use a threaded rod, some washers, and a couple nuts in conjunction with the two bushings to press the bearings in.

    The bearing removal tool will not work with the e.thirteen cups, however. The inside diameter of the cups (at the threaded portion) is only slightly larger than the inside diameter of the bearings, so the tool will not fit inside. I plan on trying to tap them out with a flathead screwdriver when the time comes.

    EDIT: I forgot I had this: Park RT-1 Headset Cup Remover > Accessories > Tools > Headset tools | Jenson USA This might be better than a screwdriver for removing the e.thirteen BB bearings from the cups.
    Really? You can use a headset cup remover to press out the bearings?

  10. #10
    otb club member
    Reputation: Chris2fur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Really? You can use a headset cup remover to press out the bearings?
    No, you can't. There is no bearing lip/edge to get a bite on. A blind bearing puller (Blind Cartridge Bearing Puller Tool from Real World Cycling) is about the only way to remove the bearings from the cups. You would have to leave the cups fully torqued inside the BB shell and then use the blind puller. The replacement bearings could be installed a number of ways as long as pressure is put on the outer race of the bearing, or on both the inner and outer race of the bearing (but NOT on the inner race only). For those that already have the Enduro BB30 bearing tool, it is great for pressing the bearings into the external BB30 cups, but not for getting them out.

    In addition to several grades of replacement bearing kits (BB30 BOTTOM BRACKET BEARINGS FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING) we also have replacement bottom brackets for the e13. Right now we are offering the "ZERO" series (EXTERNAL CUP BB30 BOTTOM BRACKET FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING), which is quite pricey, but will have other offerings within a few days.

    Between the close fit of the bearings in the cups and not much clearance for the spindle, it's important to get proper alignment of the bearings for longevity. We offer an installation tool for the Enduro cups (also fits Zipp) that comes with a bearing alignment shaft to use while torqueing the cups (EXTERNAL BB30 CUP TOOL from Real World Cycling).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails e.thirteen XC external bottom bracket alternatives-ex30zero_red_600.jpg  

    e.thirteen XC external bottom bracket alternatives-bbt_003_600b.jpg  


  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur View Post
    No, you can't. There is no bearing lip/edge to get a bite on. A blind bearing puller (Blind Cartridge Bearing Puller Tool from Real World Cycling) is about the only way to remove the bearings from the cups. You would have to leave the cups fully torqued inside the BB shell and then use the blind puller. The replacement bearings could be installed a number of ways as long as pressure is put on the outer race of the bearing, or on both the inner and outer race of the bearing (but NOT on the inner race only). For those that already have the Enduro BB30 bearing tool, it is great for pressing the bearings into the external BB30 cups, but not for getting them out.

    In addition to several grades of replacement bearing kits (BB30 BOTTOM BRACKET BEARINGS FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING) we also have replacement bottom brackets for the e13. Right now we are offering the "ZERO" series (EXTERNAL CUP BB30 BOTTOM BRACKET FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING), which is quite pricey, but will have other offerings within a few days.

    Between the close fit of the bearings in the cups and not much clearance for the spindle, it's important to get proper alignment of the bearings for longevity. We offer an installation tool for the Enduro cups (also fits Zipp) that comes with a bearing alignment shaft to use while torqueing the cups (EXTERNAL BB30 CUP TOOL from Real World Cycling).
    Great info! Just curious, since I already have one, but is there any way you can retrofit an x-type bearing/puller press? Outboard BB Bearing Puller/Press from Real World Cycling

  12. #12
    otb club member
    Reputation: Chris2fur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Great info! Just curious, since I already have one, but is there any way you can retrofit an x-type bearing/puller press? Outboard BB Bearing Puller/Press from Real World Cycling
    Since both the cup size and the bearing size are different, I don't think so. I'll mess around with the one you are referring to and see if adding a different guide into the mix will work for at least the pressing in part.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur View Post
    Since both the cup size and the bearing size are different, I don't think so. I'll mess around with the one you are referring to and see if adding a different guide into the mix will work for at least the pressing in part.
    Kewl, since my bike with an e-type Race Face bb got stolen last year I haven't had much use for it.

  14. #14
    otb club member
    Reputation: Chris2fur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Kewl, since my bike with an e-type Race Face bb got stolen last year I haven't had much use for it.
    OK, with the addition of one guide from the BB30 tool, the Outboard BB Bearing Tool can push the 6806 bearings into the external BB30 cups. I'll have to see if I can get some of these guides run separately. In the first pic below, the cup holder, bolt, and cup guide are all from the Outboard BB Bearing Tool. The bearing guide on the right is from the BB30 Tool. The back part of the cup holder faces the bearing and cup in the subsequent pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails e.thirteen XC external bottom bracket alternatives-improv1.jpg  

    e.thirteen XC external bottom bracket alternatives-improv2.jpg  

    e.thirteen XC external bottom bracket alternatives-improv3.jpg  

    e.thirteen XC external bottom bracket alternatives-improv4.jpg  


  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur View Post
    In addition to several grades of replacement bearing kits we also have replacement bottom brackets for the e13. Right now we are offering the "ZERO" series which is quite pricey, but will have other offerings within a few days.

    Between the close fit of the bearings in the cups and not much clearance for the spindle, it's important to get proper alignment of the bearings for longevity. We offer an installation tool for the Enduro cups (also fits Zipp) that comes with a bearing alignment shaft to use while torqueing the cups
    chris, thanks for the info fella. looks good but those external bb cups are a bit $$$ for me. I have got a set of your bearing drifts for the ht2 bb's and they have been spot on... looks like I will be getting a set for the bb30 ones too.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur View Post
    OK, with the addition of one guide from the BB30 tool, the Outboard BB Bearing Tool can push the 6806 bearings into the external BB30 cups. I'll have to see if I can get some of these guides run separately. In the first pic below, the cup holder, bolt, and cup guide are all from the Outboard BB Bearing Tool. The bearing guide on the right is from the BB30 Tool. The back part of the cup holder faces the bearing and cup in the subsequent pics.
    Chris, if you end up offering the bb30 guide separately I'd definitely pick one up

  17. #17
    otb club member
    Reputation: Chris2fur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by neilforrow View Post
    chris, thanks for the info fella. looks good but those external bb cups are a bit $$$ for me. I have got a set of your bearing drifts for the ht2 bb's and they have been spot on... looks like I will be getting a set for the bb30 ones too.
    We've got an all-steel ABEC 5 rated version up now that is considerably less than the "ZERO" ceramic hybrid version: EXTERNAL CUP BB30 BOTTOM BRACKET FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING

    At $94.00 it's still not cheap, but these are very good all-steel bearings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails e.thirteen XC external bottom bracket alternatives-ex30cs5_red_700.jpg  


  18. #18
    otb club member
    Reputation: Chris2fur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Chris, if you end up offering the bb30 guide separately I'd definitely pick one up
    Since you have asked, I'll see if we have an "extra" guide around here we could make you a deal on. I'll "PM" you if I can find one.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spankone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    273
    With these alternative cups is there any way of removing the bearings with drifts? Or is it the same as the ethirteen cups. The UK mud dosen't like the eithirteen bearings and the outer seals poor design.

    Although I've just paid for a replacement BB it would be nice to remove the bearings from the old cups and replace them with fresh ones for when my new ones are cooked. It would certainly save me a few in the long run

  20. #20
    otb club member
    Reputation: Chris2fur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by spankone View Post
    With these alternative cups is there any way of removing the bearings with drifts? Or is it the same as the ethirteen cups. The UK mud dosen't like the eithirteen bearings and the outer seals poor design.

    Although I've just paid for a replacement BB it would be nice to remove the bearings from the old cups and replace them with fresh ones for when my new ones are cooked. It would certainly save me a few in the long run
    As you know, the difference in diameter between the ID of the bearing and the ID of the threaded cup extensions are very close. Because of this, you can't really get behind the bearings with anything. However, if the cups are left in the threaded BB shell, a "blind bearing puller" can be used grab the bearings and pull them out: Blind Cartridge Bearing Puller Tool from Real World Cycling

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,856
    I'm now on my 3rd bb in about 1000 miles. For kicks and giggles and pried off the race on the 2nd set and there was very little if any grease left. E.13 has now gone to angular contact bearings with a different dust seal.

    Although a replacement bb is relatively inexpensive compared to most others, you may be able to prolong the bearings by prying up the seal and using a syringe or something similar to inject some grease. But an affordable tool would be nice to stick some ceramics in there

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spankone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    273
    Apologies if I sound like a redneck but but is it possible to destrory the inside race of a knackered bearing, Then pull out the outer?

    For the cost of extra tools I might aswell buy a shimano xt crank with a standard BB

  23. #23
    otb club member
    Reputation: Chris2fur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by spankone View Post
    Apologies if I sound like a redneck but but is it possible to destrory the inside race of a knackered bearing, Then pull out the outer?

    For the cost of extra tools I might aswell buy a shimano xt crank with a standard BB
    I'm not sure what I would use besides a blind bearing puller to get a stuck outer racer from out of the cup.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spankone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    273
    The sealing is shocking.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spankone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    273
    And out they pop.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A9C bottom bracket
    By dirtdiva in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2012, 09:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •