mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Dynasys headache

Hi all, this is my 1st post on here, so I'd like to thank you all for any help given.

The problem I'm having is, I've removed my Sram X7 rear mech & shifters as I much prefer shimano gear. I have gotten myself a dynasys SLX rear mech & shifters , new dynasys cassette 10spd, new dynasys chain. At the mo I have the stock FSA 2x10 crankset on the bike, can anyone tell me if the crank will work with a dynasys system, is it as important as the chain, cassette, shifters & mech? It has all the ramps & lifters on it too.
    I also can't get clean gears, have tried adjusting the rear mech every way possible. I wish now I hadn't bothered with this dynasys s**t! Why do companies do this? It just p****s people off!
    any help welcome, thanks.

mtbr member
    The crank will work fine, but you don't say which SLX version you have(M660/m670)? A 2X crank has the spacing of the middle ring and large ring. In some cases, there are 2x front derailleurs which make the jump, or you need to set the front shifter in gears 2 and 3. Shimano's newer shifters have a mode switch, but that is just locking in the 2/3 rings. The M660 does not have the mode switch, the M670 does, the m660, just set great 2, then tune the front drailleur. What front derailleur are you using? On the rear, Dynasys works very well, but with any 10 speed, the hanger needs to be straight, potentially look at that? I am running SLX on a bike with Truvativ Firex 9 speed cranks, 9 speed front derailleur and it shifts great. The cassette I use are Shimano HG62 or HG81 and a KMC 10 speed chain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just changing shifters and rear derailleur would have worked. Any 10 speed cassette and chain will work.
    The crank will be fine.
    Check your cables, housing and routing. If you still can't get clean shifting, take it to the LBS. Hard to troubleshoot derailleur adjustment over the Internet.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    OK,.. is the rear derailleur and shifters all 10 Speed? (have to ask )
    Is it only the rear you are having issues with shifting?
    how old is the rest of the drive train on the bike? (new cables? housings?)
    have you adjusted the "B" screw properly? (#1 most over looked adjustment by new Mech's)

everyone's suggestions above are good and need to be checked..

is it shifting badly only in a few spots or all the way thru the range of the cassette?

Could also have tweaked the hanger when disassembly of the old and installing the new.. Hanger's are really soft and can easily be bent a bit out when wrenching if not careful. NOT SOMETHING YOU CAN SEE BY EYE!!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi all, thanks for your replies. The gear i'm running is all Dynasys apart from the crankset which is FSA Comet, I was under the impression you needed all dynasys drivetrain for it to work, just hadn't afforded the krank yet.
    I have the M660 Slx shifters, Slx675 rear mech with cluch, Hg62 cassette,& XT HG94 HGX chain. The front mech is the original X7 which is working fine set at gear 2&3 on shifter.
    The original setup worked fine so not sure if it will be the hanger. However, I had a small tumble where the bike hit the road rear mech 1st, this was a month ago tho', hadn't thought of changing the setup then.
    It's the rear gears causing me headache, not shifting cleanly up or down. Sometimes it won't even make the highest or lowest gears. I've adjusted the pivot screw up n down on the mech too, but getting nowhere fast. AAArgh!
    Could it be the hanger after all??? It's quite a thick & stubby hanger tho', not one of the longer thinner ones. Hellllp!

mtbr member
    My vote is the hanger. Funny, I have similar parts and today my bike was off in shifting. When I got home I whipped out the park derailleur hanger alignment and sure enough, it was off. I have no marks on my derailleur as if I hit something, but you never know. Now that it's aligned, it's dead on in shifting again.

Plays with tools
    dyna-sys is not to blame for your inability to solve this problem.

mtbr member
    I have both a 10sp SLX and ZEE setup on my bikes and I have noticed that the best way to adjust them is to look at the chain from the back of the bike on the bottom side of the cassette. I adjust it in one of the smaller cogs (upper gears) until the gap between the side plates of the chain and the adjacent gears are equal. I should note that this is the final adjustment after I have adjusted the stops and wrap of the derailleur. If everything else is OK. shifting will be butter smooth. As a side note. I am running SRAM chains on both of them. I think they shift a little nicer on the shimano stuff. They also measure a little tighter out of the box then shimano chains.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Now that you've cursed me Abbey, how about a little positive & contructive information on how you would solve it.

Why is is sometimes the info is "you need to run all Dyna sys gear" & others say you can run whatever? What is the truth, because my head's spinning.
    I have just finished rebuilding my second bike another Boardman, a 9 speed with Shimano gear & haven't had any issues at all.
    Could it be that the Sram gear was running ok on a squiff hanger & the new gear is more sensitive?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by leecool View Post
    Now that you've cursed me Abbey, how about a little positive & contructive information on how you would solve it.

Why is is sometimes the info is "you need to run all Dyna sys gear" & others say you can run whatever? What is the truth, because my head's spinning.
    the whole Dynosys is just Shimano trying to make you buy only their stuff...

Sram shifters need to be with Sram rear Derailleur
    Shimano Shifters need to be with Shimano Rear derailleur
    10 speed cassette needs a 10 speed derailleur and a 10 speed chain and a 10 speed shifter (but can mix sram and shimano and other brand chains.. KMC I find are the best bang for the buck)
    9 speed needs all 9 speed (cassette, chain, shifter,derailleur) except you can use a 10 speed chain if you're a weight weenie, I find them a tad difficult to adjust,break easier, but seem to shift a bit better when done. Good for XC racer types.

Cranksets don't matter much.. thou a 10 speed crankset seems to work a tad better with the 10 speed chain and 10 speed front shifter and derailleur. thou a 9 speed crankset will work fine with a 10 speed rear drive train.

Stock 2x cranksets also seem to work better with a dedicated 2x shifter & front derailleur setup (some have gotten 3x shifters and derailleurs to work .. but ease of setup, just get the right units that match)

Stock 3x or 2x converted from a 3x crankset with a bash replacing the outer ring work best with a 3x shifter and front derailleur (2x converted from a 3x you just screw the outer stop in to keep it from going out to the old 3rd gear which most replace with a bash)

Again, some odd combo's of 2x or x3 shifters and 10 speed cranksets used in conversions and such have worked with tweaking but it's easier generally to just use the right product if you're not a techie, mechanical geek

OK.. think I gotz that all correct... proof reading......

Quote Originally Posted by leecool View Post
    I have just finished rebuilding my second bike another Boardman, a 9 speed with Shimano gear & haven't had any issues at all.
    Could it be that the Sram gear was running ok on a squiff hanger & the new gear is more sensitive?
    not likely.. I've actually found Sram to be a bit more sensitive to bent hangers than Shimano ... at least in 9 speed.. haven't had enough play time with 10 speed to judge personally between the 2 brands (thou kinda edging toward Shimano from what I've read over the past few yrs)

Will it mis-shift in a stand? or just when riding?

Friz's suggestion is pretty much what I do now..

Adj high and low screws,.. adjust B screw.. install chain.. I shift to a middle gear on the cassette and what ever front to get as straight a chain line as possible.. then do final cable adj to get the chain to line up perfectly leading into the cassette off the derailleur. Go for a easy ride and do one click turns on the shifter cable adj if somethings not quite right.. works 99% of the time within 5 mins both Sram and Shimano.. road or MTB.. if still issues.. check hanger/cables.. look for obviuos issues with chain/derailleur/cables...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Dynasys headache

Just asking, doesn't the shimano chains have to be installed. Certain direction? If he has his reversed it could be causing his shifting issues.
    I just installed all the same parts, and it literally fell together. Only difference was I did SRAM chain and cassette.

Bill

mtbr member
    Yes, Dynasys chains need to be installed with Shimano legible (not upside down) on top of the chainstay from my recollection.

I have found 10-speed due the tighter spacing will show a tweaked hanger more than 9 speed. The easiest to setup was Shimano 9-speed since the upper pulley had side movement built in to allow good shifting when very slightly out of adjustment (Shimano patent??). SRAM 9-speed a little harder since the upper pulley had no side movement. Dynasys also no longer has this side movement and the 10 speed cogs are closer together & a narrower chain (fit 10 cogs in the same space as 9 cogs).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well Hi all, thanks for your positive input, apart from (customfab) who just insulted me, he was correct however! But hey. the world would be dull if we were all geniuses eh lol!
    Got to the bottom of my gear woes.... I left my Sram cassette & chain on (original gear) & all I did was tweek the hanger slightly & used the cable adjuster on the shifter. You do need to leave the rear mech cable quite slack compared to the non Dyna Sys shimano setup tho'. Gears are sweet now & I saved 52.00 woohoo! Landed now, again thanks all for your knowledge passed on, it definately helped me. Cheers 'clink'!