mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dyna Sys SLX vs. XT RD and Shifter Differences

Besides costs (and significant at that), what are the differences? Previously I've always gone with XT or XTR, never owned LX. On older model lines, the quality of casting and overall finish was noticeable between the two. On the M770 series, the XTR shifter had more adjustability and multishift.

What are the differences in the Dyna Sys series?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Weight, cost and prestige. Performance will be near identical.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What about function? Do they both have multi-shift and 2-way release? Manufacturing differences in casting and or materials? What are the differences to make the price differences?

Rub it............
    The differences between XT and SLX are as follows regarding the shifters.

XT uses a metal thumb trigger, SLX has plastic.

Other than that is just weight and price. Function is exactly the same. All the features are exactly the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There's got to be more difference than just the plastic. That would make the LX lighter I'd think but cheaper yes. I mean we're talking about a $40 price difference in the shifters alone. I couldn't find anything on the Shimano website to explain the difference.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    There's got to be more difference than just the plastic. That would make the LX lighter I'd think but cheaper yes. I mean we're talking about a $40 price difference in the shifters alone. I couldn't find anything on the Shimano website to explain the difference.
    exactly. now your starting to get the letters game.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch
    The XT shifters are supposedly 10g lighter so, yes, I agree there must be something more to it. If you look at the pictures of the shifters on their site you can see the bottom half of the XT shifter body is smaller and shaped differently, so there must be some difference in the internal construction too. No idea what it is though

the catalan connection
    Its kind of commonly believed that XTR shifters have both levers turn on bearings, on XT´s only the pull lever turns on bearings and the release turns on bushings.LX has both levers turning on friction bushings.
    I´ve normally considered xtr to be a bit lighter and a bit more durable at the same time.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by What&son
    Its kind of commonly believed that XTR shifters have both levers turn on bearings, on XT´s only the pull lever turns on bearings and the release turns on bushings.LX has both levers turning on friction bushings.
    I´ve normally considered xtr to be a bit lighter and a bit more durable at the same time.
    So, is this a fact or a belief? It makes sense if so. That premium price and significant price difference has to be from something. From XTR to SLX shifters, now we're talking like a $100+ difference I believe. Crazy.

the catalan connection
    I cannot speak first hand anymore. Last XTR shifter levers I had were 8 speed units.But I can tell you they were above anything else I had ever had. Even the XTR Dual Controls I had maybe 2 years ago were another story compared to the XT my friend had. (actually sold them to him when I switched back to separate units)
    Yet, I would bet my bike that shimano´s shifter bearing hierarchy is still like I posted above....(someone will post the facts)
    IMO, shifter levers is one of the few spots where XTR makes sense: They rarely get damaged in a crash, they don´t really wear out and they have an avobe average performance that does NOT fade away with time.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The XTR shifters have little nicer features like longer levers, a bit of machining/finishing differences like little tiny holes for feel compared to the plastic of XT and SLX. XTR is super nice but wow, the price goes way up for no performance difference. Just more bling, bling.

SLX shifter levers look just a bit shorter than the XT's with a longer lever and bit more design appeal. Still, same function but $35 less. Shucks, then I might as well go SLX shifters, and with the $35 I'm saving but a new 10spd chain instead.

So, I think this is it:

10spd SLX shifters, front/rear
    10spd chain
    10spd XT r. derailleur
    10spd 11-36 cassette
    9spd front der
    9spd crankset, 22-32-42

With that ultra-low 36-22 combo, I'll be more comfortable climbing the real steeps with my 37lb. squishy RFX. Nice. Plus the closer ratio shifting, nice again!

Rub it............
    Make sure to purchase the Shimano chain for Dyna-sys if using the Shimano cassette. The cogs are a tad thicker than the Sram cassettes.

www.derbyrims.com
    I've read in a couple other threads in this forum that the SLX Dyan-sys rear shifter has a different up-shift action than the XT Dyna-sys. The XT shifts to the next smaller cog immediately upon pressing the short lever, while the SLX is more old style requiring the lever depress and shifts upon releasing the lever. Otherwise equal effort and precision.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If y'all haven't seen it, blueskycycling is having a sweet sale on Dynasys groups. Ends soon though.