Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)

I just set up a ten speed system on my bike using a mix of 9 speed and 10 speed parts. Since there is a lot of confusing and contradictory information about Shimano dyna sys 10 speed, I thought I would post up some compatability issues I have found.

1. Road 10 speed derailleurs and shifters are completely incompatible with mountain (dyna sys) 10 speed derailleurs and shifters. The cable pull by the shifters is different for both front and rear.

2. Nine speed rear derailleurs will not work with 10 speed mountain rear shifters. They will however work with road “flat bar” 10 speed rear shifters. Dyna speed shifters pull twice as much cable per shift as 9 speed shifters, so if you use a 9 speed derailleur it shifts two gears for every one push.

3. Dyna sys 10 speed rear derailleurs cannot be used with 9 speed shifters. Road 10 speed derailleurs can be used with 9 speed shifters.

4. Nine speed front derailleurs can be used with 10 speed front shifters, but do not work optimally if used with a 10 speed crankset. Nine speed front derailleurs and cranksets can be used with 10 speed chains and front shifters. A nine speed shifter can be used to shift a 10 speed dyna sys front derailleur.

5. 10 speed road chains are different from 10 speed mountain (dyna sys) chains. The dyna sys chain is a directional chain that is made to shift better with 10 speed mountain drivetrains.

6. 10 speed road cassettes and 10 speed mountain cassette use the same sprocket spacing.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    You left out...

Shimano 9/10 speed road front deraileur cable pull geometry is different than shimano mtb front derailleurs, so the equivalent front shifters do not work with front derailleurs from the other model line. That's with fully indexed shifters anyway. With gripshifters/thumbshifters/bar end shifters where you can trim the derailleur cage to wherever you want it, that's not a problem. Also there are a couple companies that offer top-pull adapters for shimano front road derailleurs and these alter the cable pull geometry also making them compatible with indexed shifters. The road flat bar shifters of course work perfectly well with the road front derailleurs when used on a mountain bike unless of course you run a top-pull adapter as well.

I'm with stupid
    nice thanks for the info. 10 spd set up is getting ordered now that i dont have to get a 350 buck new/same crank.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    I just set up a ten speed system on my bike using a mix of 9 speed and 10 speed parts. Since there is a lot of confusing and contradictory information about Shimano dyna sys 10 speed, I thought I would post up some compatability issues I have found.

1. Road 10 speed derailleurs and shifters are completely incompatible with mountain (dyna sys) 10 speed derailleurs and shifters. The cable pull by the shifters is different for both front and rear.

2. Nine speed rear derailleurs will not work with 10 speed mountain rear shifters. They will however work with road “flat bar” 10 speed rear shifters. Dyna speed shifters pull twice as much cable per shift as 9 speed shifters, so if you use a 9 speed derailleur it shifts two gears for every one push.

3. Dyna sys 10 speed rear derailleurs cannot be used with 9 speed shifters. Road 10 speed derailleurs can be used with 9 speed shifters.

4. Nine speed front derailleurs can be used with 10 speed front shifters, but do not work optimally if used with a 10 speed crankset. Nine speed front derailleurs and cranksets can be used with 10 speed chains and front shifters. A nine speed shifter can be used to shift a 10 speed dyna sys front derailleur.

5. 10 speed road chains are different from 10 speed mountain (dyna sys) chains. The dyna sys chain is a directional chain that is made to shift better with 10 speed mountain drivetrains.

6. 10 speed road cassettes and 10 speed mountain cassette use the same sprocket spacing.
    Thanks for posting this in a more clear manner than Shimano is willing to provide.

I have read reports from reputable sources that the mtb 9 and 10 sp FDs/shifter do not play well when mixed.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Excellent info and thanks. I have gotten all 10 speed parts for my first build but wanted to use the double SLX cranks (9 speed) that have such a good price going right now. Pretty well had my question answered in another thread but still good to get the info from another source.

Former Bike Wrench

Nice, probably should be a sticky on this forum

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I have read reports from reputable sources that the mtb 9 and 10 sp FDs/shifter do not play well when mixed.
    From what I understand the front 10 speed shifter is identical to the 9 speed shifter. The difference is in the geometry of the front derailleur. The 10 speed front derailleur moves slightly less per shift due to the 10 speed crankset using thinner rings with closer spacing. You can interchange the front derailleurs, but they will be very difficult to adjust. A 9 speed front derailleur on a 10 speed crankset will slightly overshift each ring. A 10 speed front derailleur on a 9 speed crankset will slightly undershift each ring. What is interesting is that the right 10 speed shifter body looks totally different than the left. It is huge, and the lever looks totally different than the left.

The Bottom line: match the derailleur to the crankset. If it is a 9 speed crankset, use a 9 speed front derailleur. If it is a 10 speed crankset use a 10 speed front derailleur.
    Last edited by ljsmith; 08-25-2010 at 04:34 PM.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    You left out...

Shimano 9/10 speed road front deraileur cable pull geometry is different than shimano mtb front derailleurs, so the equivalent front shifters do not work with front derailleurs from the other model line.
    You are correct. I was just making the (bad) assumption that people would not be using road shifters on a mountain bike. However, flat bar road shifters do use the same cable pull for the front derailleur as mountain shifters, they are actually LX level shifters that have been given a trim abilty.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I was just making the (bad) assumption that people would not be using road shifters on a mountain bike.
    I've been thinking about doing this since the road FB shifters became available, only stopped by the hope that 10-speed gripshifters might become available. I might still do it, as I could thus keep all my shifters and rear derailleurs compatible (road and MTB), potentially saving grief later on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Great news. Per Shimano's rep yesterday, mixing 10-speed chain and shifters with a 9-speed crankset "absolutely will not work". Please pass that crack pipe.

Also, when asked about fitting the new 3 x 10 cranks with a 22t granny, he said it was no longer possible, due to the bolt circle diameter being changed, and that "if you need that low of a gear, you should quit mountain biking". Sheesh!

Thanks, guys, for the real info on what actually works on the bike, as opposed to the CADD computer simulations (or are they just marketing simulations?).
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member

Thats funny cuz.....

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo
    Great news. Per Shimano's rep yesterday, mixing 10-speed chain and shifters with a 9-speed crankset "absolutely will not work". Please pass that crack pipe.

Also, when asked about fitting the new 3 x 10 cranks with a 22t granny, he said it was no longer possible, due to the bolt circle diameter being changed, and that "if you need that low of a gear, you should quit mountain biking". Sheesh!

Thanks, guys, for the real info on what actually works on the bike, as opposed to the CADD computer simulations (or are they just marketing simulations?).
    I recently took the 24tooth granny from the 3x10cranks that came on my 2011fuel and put it on a 9 speed SLX crankset and installed them on my Fuel with no shifting issues. Even changed the front shifter out to a older X9 that I had laying around.. No problems that I could tell....

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Some salesmen have even less understanding of the concept of truth than do politicians. Then again, politicians are just salesmen with (bigger) delusions of grandeur.

Sounds like the guy you spoke to should be in the Gestapo side of Shimano, rather than a customer-contact role. IME, many of the industry guys who are like this used to be (or still are) not-very-successful racers with lots of attitude left over from their failed competitive careers to inflict on the world.

Also, I find it's always best to actually test all of Shimano's proclamations on compatibility for myself, unless things have been changed so much that they obviously won't work. If there's any doubt, test it, and you'll often be pleasantly less-than-surprised by the result.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Remember that Shimano also said that 8 speed was completely incompatible with 9 speed. They have a vested interest is saying this, they want to sell you parts. 10 speed XT and SLX cranks are basically 9 speed crank arms with 10 speed rings/spiders on them. So why would I want to go buy a new crankset that is identical to what I have unless Shimano says my crankset is incompatible. The XTR that hasn't come out yet is a total redesign though.

My personal setup is an 11-28 Ultegra 10 speed cassette, SRAM 1070 chain, SLX 10 speed shifters, XT dyna sys rear derailleur, XT 9 speed front derailleur and an XTR M970
    9 speed crankset. My total 10 speed upgrade cost was $210. Its a cobbled together 10 speed system, but it shifts great. Actually it shifts better than my 9 speed system because I get less chain rub in the front due to the thinner chain, and in the rear it is better (I think) because of the increased cable pull from the shifter.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That sounds very similar cable pull with SRAM, doesn't it?

Nice work btw ljsmith!

Shifters, maybe not. The tooth offset on the 10-sp rings makes the spacing tighter.

The BCD has not changed on the triple cranks, as per Shimano's own tech documents. The double cranks are different.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    thanks, great work. that's answered many of my questions.

However, i'd like to ask one more question.

Am i able to use a 10speed crank and front derailleur with a 9 speed rear cassette and derailleur? I dare say I'd have to use a 9 speed chain for that.

cheers
    d

thanks
    d

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    alternatively, will i be able to put my 10 speed chainrings on my old 9 speed cranks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget1
    alternatively, will i be able to put my 10 speed chainrings on my old 9 speed cranks.

You can use a 9 speed chain with a 10 speed front derailleur and crankset, but you will get a lot more chain rub in certain gear combinations. Are the rings worn out on your 9 speed crank? I have not verified if putting 10 speed rings on a 9 speed crank is okay, bascially I do not know if the ring spacing difference is due to the crankset spider or whether the rings themselves have different offsets. If you do put the 10 speed rings on 9 speed cranks to use with a 9 speed system, let us know how that works.

But your best bet would be to use a 10 speed crankset, 10 speed front derailleur, 9 speed cassette and rear derailleur and then use a 10 speed chain. A 10 speed chain should work just fine on the rear cassette. I have run 8 speed systems with thinner 9 speed chains and they shift just fine, so I am assuming you can use a 10 speed chain on 9 speed.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Quote Originally Posted by gadget1
    However, i'd like to ask one more question.

Am i able to use a 10speed crank and front derailleur with a 9 speed rear cassette and derailleur? I dare say I'd have to use a 9 speed chain for that.
    Yes. No a 10 speed chain works on a 9 speed cassette. As I said earlier, the tooth widths of the rings and cogs (9 or 10) is the same and thus the chain inner plate specification is the same. Its the OUTER chain plate width that changes (10 speed is narrower by approx one quarter of one millimeter) when you go up in speeds because of the tighter cassette spacing.

I have used SRAM 10 speed hollow pin chains on Shimano and Sunrace 9speed cassette equipped road bikes and it shifts the same as with a 9speed chain. If anything you get less chain rub on the bigger ring when in the inner ring and crossing over towards the smaller cogs.

To repeat... 5, 6, 7 and 8 speed chains use the same cog/ring tooth widths (the 3/32" number in a chain description). 9 and 10 speed chains are 11/128", and I believe the Campy 11speed is 10/128". In terms of outer widths, your typical 8 speed chain is about 7.1mm, 9 speed is about 6.6mm, 10 speed is 6.1mm and 11 speed is 5.5mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    thanks OP. this thread helped me decide that I never want to mix and match components.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Shifters, maybe not. The tooth offset on the 10-sp rings makes the spacing tighter.

The BCD has not changed on the triple cranks, as per Shimano's own tech documents. The double cranks are different.
    Thanks, Shiggy. Current plan is 10-speed cassette, rear shifter, rear deraileur, and chain, paired with existing 9-speed triple crank, front deraileur, and front shifter.

Will post up on how it works out.

Village Dirtbag
    So, I understand that chainrings are the same thickness, but the ramps are much more elaborate on Dyna Sys- especially on the granny side of the middle ring. Is this necessary to pick up the thinner chain? Has anyone tried running 10-spd chains on the 9-spd rings, particularly XT rings? I'm especially interested in the little ring, since a 24T granny is too big for me. A 22/36 sounds like a great granny for a 29er, and I really want to try it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    So, I understand that chainrings are the same thickness, but the ramps are much more elaborate on Dyna Sys- especially on the granny side of the middle ring. Is this necessary to pick up the thinner chain? Has anyone tried running 10-spd chains on the 9-spd rings, particularly XT rings? I'm especially interested in the little ring, since a 24T granny is too big for me. A 22/36 sounds like a great granny for a 29er, and I really want to try it.
    Very limited test, but I got the 10-speed cassette, deraileur, and chain on the bike last night. No shifters until tomorrow, but I used the rear limit screws to "lock" the chain into 7th gear, and ON THE WORKSTAND, the front 9-speed crank, rings, der, and shifter functioned perfectly with the 10-speed chain.

More once the shifters show up, and an actual trail test can be done.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    [...]
    4. Nine speed front derailleurs can be used with 10 speed front shifters, but do not work optimally if used with a 10 speed crankset.
    A 2011 MTB with a 2x10 that I just bought came from the factory with a 9spd FD by mistake. Shifting in the front was highly non-optimal. LBS did some tweaking initially before the problem was discovered but it still was barely workable. This was with SRAM S-2200 cranks, a kmc chain and shimano LX FD. If this experience is any indication, I wouldn't bother trying to reuse that 9spd FD when doing a conversion...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm looking forward to getting my 2011 XTR gruppo at Interbike in 2 weeks.

siv
    mtbr member
    I have a SLX 10 speed group on my 2011 Giant Reign and am not impressed so far. Lots of angry chain slipping on certain combos(not improper chain line combos). Is there a break in period with chain and such?

mtbr member
    I'm sorry but why can't the RD's be interchangeable between 9 and 10 speed systems? The shifter and cassette choice (ie: spacing/pull ratio) dictates which combo I can use, not the RD

Sounds like Shimano marketing to me

Because in order to improve the reliability of the mtb 10 speed shifting, shimano has finally admitted to themselves that SRAM had the right idea lowering the leverage ratio of the rear derailleur cable pull geometry (which makes the derailleur less sensitive to cable stretch and tension changes from shifter housing movement on a rear suspension bike). So the shifters now pull more cable than before for each shift. SRAM's 10 speed shifters and derailleurs also pull more cable than their 9 speed units. I believe the SRAM 10 speed works out as a 0.8:1 ratio now, their 8/9 speed stuff is 1:1, all shimano derailleurs except the new 10speed mtb (and the 7/8 speed DuraAce) are 2:1 and the shimano 10s MTB is I believe its been measured out as something like 1.25:1.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ +1

Seems like critical adjustment has been one of the major worries here re 10 speed (and 9 speed too). At least Shimano have made the break at an obvious point, so what will work is as clear as possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    So can someone confirm that you can put 10 spd chainrings on a 9 spd crankset....and things will shift fine? I have an XTR 970 crankset that I would like to use as 10 spd mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by cort
    I'm sorry but why can't the RD's be interchangeable between 9 and 10 speed systems? The shifter and cassette choice (ie: spacing/pull ratio) dictates which combo I can use, not the RD

Sounds like Shimano marketing to me
    They changed the geometry of the RD. The mtb 10-speed RD moves a different distance for the same amount of cable movement than the old RDs.

Same reason you can not use a SRAM RD with Shimano shifters.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by rconceptsinc
    So can someone confirm that you can put 10 spd chainrings on a 9 spd crankset....and things will shift fine? I have an XTR 970 crankset that I would like to use as 10 spd mountain.
    You do not need to change the rings to use a 10-speed chain.

Reportedly, you can put the 10-speed rings on the 9-speed crank, but you may also need to switch to the 10-speed FD and/or front shifter.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You do not need to change the rings to use a 10-speed chain.

Reportedly, you can put the 10-speed rings on the 9-speed crank, but you may also need to switch to the 10-speed FD and/or front shifter.
    Yes I am hoping to re-use my XTR 970 crank on my 2011 Superfly 100 w/ complete Sram X9 10spd. It came with a cheap Shimano 3x10 crank and was wondering if it would work if I just swapped the chainrings on to my XTR 970 crank arms.

www.derbyrims.com
    My personal setup is an 11-28 Ultegra 10 speed cassette, SRAM 1070 chain, SLX 10 speed shifters, XT dyna sys rear derailleur, XT 9 speed front derailleur and an XTR M970
    9 speed crankset. My total 10 speed upgrade cost was $210.
    Thanks for covering this so well.

Is the feel and ease of shifting SLX Dyna-sys the same as XT?

You have an XT rear-der why not SLX? Is there any performance or durability difference other than weight?

I demoed the XT Dyna-sys 24/34/42 11/36 recently and it did shift very easily, even under power. Front and rear.

Your cost must be wholesale I'm guessing. I'd pay more than twice for the same, on-line.

Edit: I think my post was lost in the middle here. ljsmith kindly replied to my PM on these questions.

He mentioned the LX shifters shift as easily as XT and release the derailleur upon lever return rather than how XT's release the der upon initial pressure. (I think that this SLX action is more common like my Sram lever action and may be better to resist unwanted shifts from accidental bumping the lever.)

XT rear der rather than SLX, was for weight considerations, not performance or durability reasons.

And his price was so low due to low demand for 10 speed on eBay when he was bidding.

Thanks again lj !
    Last edited by derby; 09-18-2010 at 12:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Trying to run 10 speed XT dyna-system with 9 speed crankset. Can't get it to work.
    Here is the set up: 10speed chain, 10 cassette, 10 rear der, 10 rear shifter, 9 speed crank, 9 speed front der, 9 speed front shifter.
    The front will not shift. I can get it to shift up from the granny but not down from the middle to granny. Tried it with both 9 and 10 speed front shifter, short of bending the cage of the front der I tried every trick in the book. Will try 10 speed front der with 10 speed shifter to see if that works. Sucks the big one.

Quote Originally Posted by morandi
    Trying to run 10 speed XT dyna-system with 9 speed crankset. Can't get it to work.
    Here is the set up: 10speed chain, 10 cassette, 10 rear der, 10 rear shifter, 9 speed crank, 9 speed front der, 9 speed front shifter.
    The front will not shift. I can get it to shift up from the granny but not down from the middle to granny. Tried it with both 9 and 10 speed front shifter, short of bending the cage of the front der I tried every trick in the book. Will try 10 speed front der with 10 speed shifter to see if that works. Sucks the big one.
    Bending the FD cage is one of the tricks in the book.

But if the front shifting worked before, it should work now. I would restart the setup from square one. Likely just something basic and minor.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Bending the FD cage is one of the tricks in the book.

But if the front shifting worked before, it should work now. I would restart the setup from square one. Likely just something basic and minor.
    Went back in the garage this morning and got it to work. I raised the front der up and that did the trick. Works fine now.
    Odd though, how my front shifting was great with the old 9 speed rear set up, and just by switching up the rear to 10 speed it went to just not shifting at all. Maybe the level of the chain be higher up with the 36 tooth cog.

mtbr member
    will a 9 speed Shimano XT Crankset work well with the 10 speed cogs & derraileur? i am planning to buy the DynaSys Rear Derraileur, shifters, chain, & Cogs, to upgrade my old drive system but I don't want to change my old 2010 XT Crank & Shimano LX Front Derraileur.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Rocker
    will a 9 speed Shimano XT Crankset work well with the 10 speed cogs & derraileur? i am planning to buy the DynaSys Rear Derraileur, shifters, chain, & Cogs, to upgrade my old drive system but I don't want to change my old 2010 XT Crank & Shimano LX Front Derraileur.
    The crankset does not care what the cassette and RD are.

People have been using 10-speed chains on 9-speed drivetrains. You should be fine.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    They changed the geometry of the RD. The mtb 10-speed RD moves a different distance for the same amount of cable movement than the old RDs.

Same reason you can not use a SRAM RD with Shimano shifters.
    Well I took a XT 9 speed RD and installed it on the new Dyna-sys DT. It wasn't even close to working properly on the stand - I stand corrected

siv
    mtbr member
    Are KMC 10 speed road chains compatible with Dyna Sys? They(KMC) say yes but i dont know if they're just trying to sell a product, expensive one at that.

mtbr member
    Okay, I've read through the thread and think I know the answer, but I want 100% confirmation...

My current setup is 2x9, XT RD, SLX shifters, Deore cranks/chainrings. I just had the LBS order XT Dyna Sys RD, shifter, cassette and chain and will be going to 1x9. Will I need a new chainring, or can I keep my current Deore one since I will be 1x9? Thanks!

siv
    mtbr member
    IMO, yes you will need new rings. Would seem cheaper to buy a new crank and sell the old one cause rings are not cheap assuming you can find them. Also, appears that only the stock combo(24,32,42) is available. Im still looking for conformation on KMC chain compatibility, seems like the only thing you can mix in that isnt Shimano. Measured the inner and outer width of the chain links last night and compared to the KMC chain on my road bike, damn close. Like .001's close, should work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by siv
    IMO, yes you will need new rings. Would seem cheaper to buy a new crank and sell the old one cause rings are not cheap assuming you can find them. Also, appears that only the stock combo(24,32,42) is available. Im still looking for conformation on KMC chain compatibility, seems like the only thing you can mix in that isnt Shimano. Measured the inner and outer width of the chain links last night and compared to the KMC chain on my road bike, damn close. Like .001's close, should work.
    Ugh, not what I wanted to hear, that's another $200+ that I didn't plan on spending. What is it about the chain rings that makes the 10 speed ones different exactly? Shape of the teeth? I think if I end up having to order that, I'll be going with X.9 instead. Is XT Dyna Sys that much better than X.9, if at all? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Straz85
    Ugh, not what I wanted to hear, that's another $200+ that I didn't plan on spending. What is it about the chain rings that makes the 10 speed ones different exactly? Shape of the teeth? I think if I end up having to order that, I'll be going with X.9 instead. Is XT Dyna Sys that much better than X.9, if at all? Thanks.
    siv is wrong. Many people have been using 10-speed chains on 9-speed chains for years.
    mtbtires.com

siv
    mtbr member
    siv is wrong. Many people have been using 10-speed chains on 9-speed chains for years.
    Wrong about what? If everything else is specific why not the rings?

Wrong about what? If everything else is specific why not the rings?
    Read my reply again.
    mtbtires.com

siv
    mtbr member
    Got it. Actually just read it again, I dont get it. Please explain so I dont have to speculate and be wrong telling others about Dyna Sys. Thanks.
    Last edited by siv; 09-18-2010 at 04:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I am trying the following setup:
    9 speed gravity light 32-22 or 32-24 (provided that blackspire 24t inner ring can fit)
    XT 10 spd shifters
    XT 10 spd fd
    XT 10 spd rd
    XT 10 spd cassette
    XT 10 spd dyna sys chain

any thoughts on this? will it work?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Got it. Actually just read it again, I dont get it. Please explain so I dont have to speculate and be wrong telling others about Dyna Sys. Thanks.
    You can use a 9 speed crankset and rings with a 10 speed chain. Weight weenies have already been doing this for years. I have heard that you need to use a 9 speed front derailleur though, but I have not confirmed this. My 10 speed setup is using the 9 speed XTR 970 crankset and it works flawlessly.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by havenzhiv
    I am trying the following setup:
    9 speed gravity light 32-22 or 32-24 (provided that blackspire 24t inner ring can fit)
    XT 10 spd shifters
    XT 10 spd fd
    XT 10 spd rd
    XT 10 spd cassette
    XT 10 spd dyna sys chain

any thoughts on this? will it work?
    It should work fine. However I have heard that a 10 speed front derailleur does not work optimally with a 9 speed crankset, I have not confirmed this though. I personally am using a 9 speed front derailleur and crankset with my system and it works great!
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

siv
    mtbr member
    You can use a 9 speed crankset and rings with a 10 speed chain. Weight weenies have already been doing this for years. I have heard that you need to use a 9 speed front derailleur though, but I have not confirmed this. My 10 speed setup is using the 9 speed XTR 970 crankset and it works flawlessly.
    So as long as you have a 10 speed chain you can run 9 speed up front and 10 in the rear? I guess theres no reason why it wouldnt work. Good news for people with old stuff then! So there is a way for me to go 24/36 up front, I just have to go back to 9 speed front shifter and d-rail and "normal" rings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    So as long as you have a 10 speed chain you can run 9 speed up front and 10 in the rear? I guess theres no reason why it wouldnt work. Good news for people with old stuff then! So there is a way for me to go 24/36 up front, I just have to go back to 9 speed front shifter and d-rail and "normal" rings.
    You are correct. A 10 speed chain works great with a 9 speed crank and front derailleur. I actually like the 10 speed chain with a 9 speed front derailleur because it is easier to set it up so it never rubs due to the slightly wider cage.
    2013 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2015 Lynskey Cooper CX
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2006

SRAM Powerlink

Anyone tried a SRAM Powelink with an XT 10 spd dyna sys chain?

mtbr member
    I checked with the LBS that I bought all the parts at, who happens to also be a Shimano Service Center and just went to a Shimano training and he said 9 speed chainrings with a 10 speed chain in fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cstuttle
    I asked him about this as well, he said not to do it.

mtbr member
    Will the following work together?

- 10-speed Shimano XT crankset

- 9-Speed SRAM cassette
    - 9-Speed SRAM Chain
    - 9-Speed SRAM X9 Shifter
    - 9-Speed SRAM Derailleur

Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    Will the following work together?

- 10-speed Shimano XT crankset

- 9-Speed SRAM cassette
    - 9-Speed SRAM Chain
    - 9-Speed SRAM X9 Shifter
    - 9-Speed SRAM Derailleur
    The crank set does not really care what is happening at the rear.
    mtbtires.com

In a consersation with Paul Thomasberg (Shimano R&D rider/thinker) earlier this week I asked if the Dyna Sys cassette uses the same cog spacing (c-c) as the road 10-speed cassettes.

Yes, it is, but the cogs are thicker, which is one of the reasons for the different chain design. When I followed up asking if mixing road and mtb 10-speed chains and cassettes would work as a "B" or "C" compatibility (functions but not as designed or as well), Paul nodded as the Japanese engineer waved "NO! Will not work!"

So, you can probably do it, but do not expect the same performance.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    The crank set does not really care what is happening at the rear.
    A better way to phrase it would be would a 10speed xt crank work with a 9 speed chain and 9 speed FD?

Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    A better way to phrase it would be would a 10speed xt crank work with a 9 speed chain and 9 speed FD?
    I believe that has been at least partly addressed in several previous posts to this thread. i.e. Maybe.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    This **** makes my head hurt. My new plan is a 10 speed cassette, 10sp rear der with shifter, 10 speed chain, keeping my 9 speed front shifter and der, and replacing my 9 speed 22/32/44 chainrings with something like a 26 tooth granny and 38 tooth middle plus (maybe) a bash guard. I'm not looking to replace my crankset if not necessary. Whaddua think?

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Can anyone confirm whether or not I can use the FC-M970 spider with FC-M770-10 chainrings? The tech docs say M770-10 uses 8.5mm/9.1mm chainring bolts. For M970 they appear to be 7mm and 10.1mm respectively.

Reason for this is my FC-M970s are 172.5mm, whereas FC-M770/FC-M770-10 only come in 5mm increments, so 170mm or 175mm. My M770-10s are in the post.

It would seem that FC-M980 chainrings/spiders are completely incompatible with the FC-M970 counterpart, but the same might not be true for FC-M985 - FC-M980 appears to use a spider which has arms not entirely perpendicular to the rotating axis (BB) from the chainring bolts.
    Quote Originally Posted by tom2304
    Yep farkin.net is mostly immature kids asking how to put dual crown forks on hardtails and such.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstuttle
    No . . . but I'm using a KMC Missing Link without issue (on a 1x10).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The next question is...

Does a sram cassette (xx) work with Dynasys RD Shifter and Chain?

For the weight weenies the sram cassette is reportedly 70grams lighter than the Xtr.

Yes, but a recon titanium 11-32 or 11-34 or 11-36 titanium casssette are all respectively lighter than equivalent size XX cassettes, cost less, and if you use the granny cog a lot will last longer.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well from Recons site the ti 10spd 11-36 is 210 grams and the XX 11-36 is listed everywhere at 208 grams. But either way the question still stands if "any other" 10spd cassette will work with the Dynasys components.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclesnsports
    Well from Recons site the ti 10spd 11-36 is 210 grams and the XX 11-36 is listed everywhere at 208 grams. But either way the question still stands if "any other" 10spd cassette will work with the Dynasys components.
    Spacing is the same but you may not like the performance.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2006

Chain Suck with 9 Speed Crank

I installed a 2008 XT 9 speed crank with new chainrings, 22-32-42, on a 2011 Trek Remedy 9.8 that came with an XT 10 speed drivetrain. I left the 10 speed front derailleur and shifter on. The shifting works fine and there is a little chain rub in certain gear combos but that is easy to avoid. The only problem is CHAIN SUCK, and it is bad. I was wondering if you have experienced any? I think I'll install the 10 speed crank and see if it still happens.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

did anyone verify where the difference is (crank or CR)

You can use a 9 speed chain with a 10 speed front derailleur and crankset, but you will get a lot more chain rub in certain gear combinations. Are the rings worn out on your 9 speed crank? I have not verified if putting 10 speed rings on a 9 speed crank is okay, bascially I do not know if the ring spacing difference is due to the crankset spider or whether the rings themselves have different offsets. If you do put the 10 speed rings on 9 speed cranks to use with a 9 speed system, let us know how that works.
    Is it the crankset spider or the rings that are different?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclesnsports
    The next question is...

Does a sram cassette (xx) work with Dynasys RD Shifter and Chain?

For the weight weenies the sram cassette is reportedly 70grams lighter than the Xtr.
    Same question here, I want to use 2011 XTR with an XX cassette.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    uugghhhh... looked into this and totally missed this thread. just bought dura ace bar cons and paulies. have a slx/xt dyna sys 10spd on a new giant xtc29-1. wont work, now i know. if i understand correctly a road der. should work? if the new shifters had a friction option .......

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Its the OUTER chain plate width that changes (10 speed is narrower by approx one quarter of one millimeter) when you go up in speeds because of the tighter cassette spacing.
    [...]
    In terms of outer widths, your typical 8 speed chain is about 7.1mm, 9 speed is about 6.6mm, 10 speed is 6.1mm and 11 speed is 5.5mm.
    hi,
    when you talk about outer chain plate, do you talk about the chain plate closer to the frame or the further?
    I understand that due to the tighter cassette spacing the chain plates that must be narrower are the ones in "contact" with the sprockets.
    The chain is in "contact" with the next in size sprocket (one lower speed).
    Isn't it that way?

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Very limited test, but I got the 10-speed cassette, deraileur, and chain on the bike last night. No shifters until tomorrow, but I used the rear limit screws to "lock" the chain into 7th gear, and ON THE WORKSTAND, the front 9-speed crank, rings, der, and shifter functioned perfectly with the 10-speed chain.

More once the shifters show up, and an actual trail test can be done.

Kosmo
    how is the 10/9 speed system working?
    my rear derailleur is getting long in the tooth. good excuse to change if the poormans
    10 speed conversion works.
    have you ridden PT and SP here?

The Hutch
    should I just buy the whole 10 speed XT group set and change the front rings ?
    or can/should I mix it 10 speed rear d,shifter,cassette, and a 9 speed crank with the 9 speed front d, and shifter?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

9v + 10v DynaSys

Yesterday, I used for the first time my “new” drive train 3x10s, mixing existing Shimano 9 speed together with new SynaSys 10 speed components:
    • Cranks XT Hollowtech II (2004).
    • Chain rings 22/32/44 XT 9s. 22 and 32 new.
    • Front derailleur Deore 9s (2003).
    • Rear derailleur XT DynaSys 10s.
    • Cassette XT DynaSys 10s, 11-36.
    • Chain XTR DynaSys 10s.
    • Shifters XT DynaSys 3x10s, front and rear.

It works flawlessly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)-imatge264.jpg  

Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)-imatge260.jpg  

Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)-imatge261.jpg  

Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)-imatge262.jpg  

Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)-imatge263.jpg  

The Hutch
    How did it shift?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    First ride was +/-40 km in moist conditions.
    I felt 22<=>32 and 32<=>44 shifting as good, fast and clear as with the old 9 speed chain HG-93.
    No chain sucks, even with 22-36.
    It was possible to use all the 10 cogs with the 32. No chain rub with the front derailleur.

Rear shifting was as good as it is supposed to be for Shimano XT, but I still prefer the smoothness of the “old” 9s Shimano XT or XTR drive trains.

The Hutch
    I am going to run 9spd front D/shifter and crankset, with 10spd rear D/shifter and cassette 11-36. But I want to change my front chain rings. Where can I but good replacements sized 24/36?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Smile

just finished up a road test up and down some hilly streets with a poor mans
    10 speed upgrade with some parts from CRC
    Changed the rear cassette to a Shimano XT11-36 ten speed.
    replaced the rear derailleur to a XT shadow M773 medium cage
    replaced rear shifter to a XT 10 speed
    and the best, KMC X10 93 10 speed chain with a sram link
    front inner and middle chainrings are action tec ti 8,9 speed stuff
    outer is a run of the mill cheap 8/9 speed ring.
    non of the chain rings have any ramps or pins.

shifting is spectacular. the new shimano ratio change along with smaller gaps
    of the cogs, gives a very smooth and precise shifting. not quite the
    click and bang into gear of the nine speed shimano, thats ok though.

also the front derailleur is much easier to dial in with the skinnier chain

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    An interesting thing to note: the new XTR derailleur is listed on Shimano's website with a capacity of 41 teeth, meaning that if coupled with the new 42-32-24 cranks, the biggest sprocket in the rear should be with 34 teeth. There is nothing wrong with that, of course, but it kinda negates the point of the whole 10 speed transition, at least the way Shimano is trying to push it. If I'm going to use the same 11-34 sprockets in the rear (with one extra gear sqeezed between say 20 and 23T) and I'm willing to pair them with the aforementioned cranks, what I'm getting would be a net decrease in usable range, both in the low and top end. Or maybe I should be getting the 38-26 cranks with a 36T cassette? Same thing, what I'm getting on the low end is a 36:26 ~ 1,38 gear ratio. Compare that to the 34:22 ~ 1,54 gear ratio that is common with 9 speed setups. If this reduction is a bad thing depends on lot of things.

The XT and SLX derailleurs are listed with capacity of 43T, which fits the bill exactly - again assuming 42-32-24 cranks are used, a 36T cassette becomes a no-issue. The highest ratio will be 36:24 = 1,5, actually still lower than what you get with 9 speed setups today.

So what we're getting with the new 10 speed is a closer-ratio transmission; more gears squeezed in a narrower range - which translates in smaller percepted difference between adjacent gears. I think that's the selling point that Shimano is trying to push on their website, but they got stuck in some sort of marketing talk instead of getting to the core.

Using 44-32-22 cranks seems to be the best of both worlds then: retain the sweet 11:44 = 0,25 top gear ratio, extend the highest ratio to 36:22 ~ 1,63, and get an extra gear in between. The only problem is that such configuration would require a derailleur with 47T capacity, which may be impossible to achieve within some strength/weight requirements. Of course, all is not lost, as you can read here.

Hope this may be useful when considering the switch to ten speed

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    frankly i would never have "switched" to 10 spd. it came on a new bike. 2x9,or 3x9,.. i cant imagine NEEDING more than that

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ Nobody *needs* more than a single speed, or even a bicycle. One can always walk.

All these posts saying "I'm more righteous because I don't need as many gears as are available nowadays" or "anyone who likes to have more gears than I do is incompetent/unfit/corrupt/works for Shimano" are getting a bit tedious...

Maybe it's time to start a new thread - or flame war - about who (apart from singlespeeders) can get away with the least gears. Now, should that be front, rear, both, or the two multiplied together?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Note sure if this has been covered but I'm getting one of the new pivot mach 4's.

To stagger the costs a bit I'm going to use the drivetrain off my old bike, which is a full XT 9 speed setup.
    The mach4 needs a direct mount front derailleur which my old bike doesn't have so I was thinking about getting a 10speed front derailleur and using it will my 9 speed drivetrain until I can afford to upgrade the rest of the drivetrain to 10 speed XT.

Will this work? or is it more trouble than it's worth?

Thanks for the help

The Hutch
    2 issues
    1. I wanted to replace my chain rings on my xtr chrank with 26, 36 setup, but my lbs said xtr cranks only work with xtr chain rings?
    2. I wanted to run my 9speed crank front d and shifter with 10 speed rear drive train (cassette, chain , shifter and rear d) but the lbs said won't cause chain won't fit the crank?
    Are these statements true?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv
    2 issues
    1. I wanted to replace my chain rings on my xtr chrank with 26, 36 setup, but my lbs said xtr cranks only work with xtr chain rings?
    2. I wanted to run my 9speed crank front d and shifter with 10 speed rear drive train (cassette, chain , shifter and rear d) but the lbs said won't cause chain won't fit the crank?
    Are these statements true?
    I have about 110 miles on a poor mans 10 speed conversion, which is old school 8,9 speed
    non ramped and non pinned front chainrings, 9speed FD. everything else is 10 speed.
    running a KMC x10-93 chain with the shimano xt cassette with no problems
    bike has never shifted so well. so your lbs is either telling you the company line or
    does not know that mixing will work.

The Hutch
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2
    I have about 110 miles on a poor mans 10 speed conversion, which is old school 8,9 speed
    non ramped and non pinned front chainrings, 9speed FD. everything else is 10 speed.
    running a KMC x10-93 chain with the shimano xt cassette with no problems
    bike has never shifted so well. so your lbs is either telling you the company line or
    does not know that mixing will work.
    So what chain rings (26,36) do I buy for my xtr crankset? that are no pinned or ramped (M970)
    and will the new dyna sys 10speed chain work on the 9speed crank and chainrings?

mtbr member

Drop Bar Mix & Match?

I have Ultegra shifters, Ultegra triple crank, Ultegra triple FD and Ultegra RD med cage.

Will this drivetrain work with an XT 10spd cassette? Maybe a 32 or 34 tooth cassette?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

no 10 speed for me?

hello,

i now use 9sp trigger shifters with a rapid rise rear derailler.
    i use this setup so i can shift te same way on my internal geared gt it dh bike.
    so i do not want to change that

so i can not use a rapid rise 9 speed derailler with 10 sp shifters?
    and shimano does not make 10 speed rapid rise deraillers?

so is there no way i can get 10 speed on my bike?
    without having to shift te other way as on my dh bike?

grtz, wouter

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    You should be able to do this by using 10 speed road shifters with a 9 speed rapid rise rear derailleur. You can either use the flat bar rapidfire plus shifters or bar-end/downtube (7800, not 7900) levers with Paul thumbshifter mounts. I'm not sure how well the LH flatbar RF+ shifeter will work with a MTB front derailleur, but it's only the RH one that's important for 10 speed anyway. It'd be easier just to abandon rapid rise.

Old-newbie
    I just converted my bike using the following:

Sram 10 speed chain
    Shimano rear cassette (Dynasys XT)
    Shimano shifter (XT Dynasys)
    SRAM XO 9sp rear derailleur

It turns out the full pull on the new Shimano 10sp shifter is identical to the full pull on the old Sram 9sp shifter. Assuming everything is linear, that means a Shimano shifter should work with the Sram RD, with the 10 detent positions set by the shifter. I have a Hammerschmidt up front, so nothing to do there.

I set it up last night, and it shifts perfectly. I intend to torture test it tomorrow on the trails.

gerG

Update: I have had this combo on several rides now. It is working perfectly. It shifts smoothly and quickly under low to moderate load, and about like any other setup if do the dumb thing and shift it under high load. I have noticed a slight hesitation to downshift (step to larger rear cog) on one of the middle gears. It is almost like the spacing is slightly off in the cassette. A couple of clicks on the adjustment barrel got rid of it. The only real issue is that I miss the aggressive shifting behavior of the Saint parts that I removed to try this setup. The positives are the lower granny gear, and the lighter chain (less chain slap).
    Last edited by g3rG; 11-20-2010 at 02:27 PM.
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

dwt
    mtbr member
    Read through the sticky - much thanks to OP.

One more time, to be clear:

If I am now running 1 x 9 (Truvative Stylo 1.1 up front) and want a 10 speed block and that extra 36 cog in back, I can keep the Stylo 1.1, and "all" I need is a 10 speed cassette, chain, rear derailleur, and shifter.

TIA
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt
    Read through the sticky - much thanks to OP.

One more time, to be clear:

If I am now running 1 x 9 (Truvative Stylo 1.1 up front) and want a 10 speed block and that extra 36 cog in back, I can keep the Stylo 1.1, and "all" I need is a 10 speed cassette, chain, rear derailleur, and shifter.

TIA

yes

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    a sunrace driven is also 10sp compatibel.
    At the moment I use it 9 speed:

http://nifrodne.blogspot.com/2010/11...ce-driven.html

Ride or Die!
    I'm getting a little confused...
    Will a 2010 9 speed XT crankset work with:
    10 speed rings
    10 speed RD
    10 speed FD
    10 speed chain
    10 speed shifters

I currently have a XT Dynasys 10 speed crankset that I am using that is a 175mm. I have a XT 9 speed crankset that is 170mm that I would like to use. Will it work with the rings from the Dynasys 10 speed crankset?

The Hutch
    Quote Originally Posted by CasinoKiD
    I'm getting a little confused...
    Will a 2010 9 speed XT crankset work with:
    10 speed rings
    10 speed RD
    10 speed FD
    10 speed chain
    10 speed shifters

I currently have a XT Dynasys 10 speed crankset that I am using that is a 175mm. I have a XT 9 speed crankset that is 170mm that I would like to use. Will it work with the rings from the Dynasys 10 speed crankset?
    It should work as long as the crank arms have the same bolt pattern. Come by (i'm in vegas also PM me if you want ) and we will put it together and check it out.

Rider and Wrench
    I just ordered a set of XTR 10 speed shifters, Rear Derailleur, Chain and an XT 11-36T Cassette- I will run this with my current XTR 970 cranks and Front Der and should have no issue from what this thread indicates...

A bit of a catch the bike is a pivot 429 with a direct mount XTR Front Der, I noticed at least one post that had some initial issues with the 9 spd front der/cranks and needed to move the FD up a bit to get the front shifting to work at all- I hope I can make it work without it as it is a bit tough on a direct mount FD!!!

Long story short-

Has anyone else who actually went the 10 speed route with just the rear cass, rear der, chain and shifters matched with 9spd FD and Crankset needed to change the orientation of the FD to get the shifting dialed in???

Thanks
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm thinking of getting an XTR rear and shifter to do my 1x10 setup. I will probably run an XX cassette.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Very interesting!

Which cassette did you go with? I'm curious as to the clearance for the 11-36 with the X.0 9s.

Quote Originally Posted by g3rG
    I just converted my bike using the following:

Sram 10 speed chain
    Shimano rear cassette (Dynasys XT)
    Shimano shifter (XT Dynasys)
    SRAM XO 9sp rear derailleur

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tree_trunks
    Very interesting!

Which cassette did you go with? I'm curious as to the clearance for the 11-36 with the X.0 9s.
    This confirms what I read only once before. The Dyna-sys cable pull to rear derailleur rate is 1:1, like SRAM (9 Speed) now. I haven't heard if SRAM changed from 1:1 to something else for XX.

BTW, a Shimano HG 12-36 (LX) works for me with SRAM 9-speed rear ders. The XX and Dyna-shift have the same cog spacing.

Thanks!

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    I just ordered a set of XTR 10 speed shifters, Rear Derailleur, Chain and an XT 11-36T Cassette- I will run this with my current XTR 970 cranks and Front Der and should have no issue from what this thread indicates...

A bit of a catch the bike is a pivot 429 with a direct mount XTR Front Der, I noticed at least one post that had some initial issues with the 9 spd front der/cranks and needed to move the FD up a bit to get the front shifting to work at all- I hope I can make it work without it as it is a bit tough on a direct mount FD!!!

Long story short-

Has anyone else who actually went the 10 speed route with just the rear cass, rear der, chain and shifters matched with 9spd FD and Crankset needed to change the orientation of the FD to get the shifting dialed in???

Thanks

Well no issues with the Direct mount front derailleur- went on the first ride today with it and the 10spd shifters/RD/cassette worked well with the 9spd front der/cranks no issues-

The only thing I did notice is that when in the center chainring up front and on the 36T in the back it seemed to put a bunch of stress on the chain/RD and made a bit of a noise- no real issue but it did not seem right? never happened with the 9 spd 11-34 - I have not looked into it yet but wondering if the spacing on the 10 speed cranks/rear cassette changes and if it could be enough to alter the center ring chainline???
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 60