Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)

342K views 626 replies 237 participants last post by  chewaz 
#1 ·
I just set up a ten speed system on my bike using a mix of 9 speed and 10 speed parts. Since there is a lot of confusing and contradictory information about Shimano dyna sys 10 speed, I thought I would post up some compatability issues I have found.

1. Road 10 speed derailleurs and shifters are completely incompatible with mountain (dyna sys) 10 speed derailleurs and shifters. The cable pull by the shifters is different for both front and rear.

2. Nine speed rear derailleurs will not work with 10 speed mountain rear shifters. They will however work with road “flat bar” 10 speed rear shifters. Dyna speed shifters pull twice as much cable per shift as 9 speed shifters, so if you use a 9 speed derailleur it shifts two gears for every one push.

3. Dyna sys 10 speed rear derailleurs cannot be used with 9 speed shifters. Road 10 speed derailleurs can be used with 9 speed shifters.

4. Nine speed front derailleurs can be used with 10 speed front shifters, but do not work optimally if used with a 10 speed crankset. Nine speed front derailleurs and cranksets can be used with 10 speed chains and front shifters. A nine speed shifter can be used to shift a 10 speed dyna sys front derailleur.

5. 10 speed road chains are different from 10 speed mountain (dyna sys) chains. The dyna sys chain is a directional chain that is made to shift better with 10 speed mountain drivetrains.

6. 10 speed road cassettes and 10 speed mountain cassette use the same sprocket spacing.

See less See more
#345 ·
Hi Guys, I am new in this thread. Would like ask some questions. Apologies if this has been answered before. Thanks is advance.:)

My current bike set up

Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore RD-M592, 27 Speed

Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio FD-M430, 34.9mm

Shifters: Shimano Alivio SL-M430, R-fire plus 2

Crankset: Shimano FC-M430-8, silver, 44Ax32x22 T

Will it work if i were to replace it with

10 speed Deore Shifter
10 speed FD
10 speed crankset

Please advice. Thanks Guys

#346 ·
^ This will not work. :madman:

To repeat (again) Shimano 9 and 10 speed MTB rear derailleurs and shifters cannot be mixed in any combination!!!

Both must be either 9 speed, or 10 speed, with the matching cassette and chain. 10 speed Shimano MTB stuff is generally compatible only with itself, although IIRC some have said that SRAM pre-10 speed derailleurs and shifters have compatible cable travel, ie, you can (in theory) use a 9 speed SRAM rear mech in a 10 speed drivetrain with Shimano 10 speed shifters, or a Shimano 10 speed mech in a 9 speed drivetrain with SRAM 9 speed shifters (though not their Shimano compatible Gripshifts).

If you want to switch to 10 speed you will need (at least) a 10 speed rear shifter, rear derailleur, cassette and chain. Things might work better if you have matching 10 speed chainrings (or crankset), plus front derailleur, but it's quite possible the 9 speed parts will work okay.

NB: Shimano 10 speed road rear shifters (i.e., barcons) will work when used with a Shimano 9 speed MTB rear mech as most Shimano rear derailleurs (other than 10 speed MTB and pre-1997 Dura-Ace) have compatible cable travel.

It would be more sensible if people asking questions state what shifters, front and rear derailleurs, crankset, chain and cassette they have at present and what they are hoping to achieve by changing things rather than just asking, "Will combination x work?" :thumbsup:

#347 ·
What's wrong?

I'm building a 2008 Enduro with all new 10 speed drivetrain, except the crankset which is a Truvativ Hussfelt 24/36/bash. My shifters, rear der, cassette are SLX and I have a new XT chain, all 10 speed. FD is a Deore LX. Chain won't shift from granny to middle. What's wrong with my setup?

Thanks.

#348 ·
I'm building a 2008 Enduro with all new 10 speed drivetrain, except the crankset which is a Truvativ Hussfelt 24/36/bash. My shifters, rear der, cassette are SLX and I have a new XT chain, all 10 speed. FD is a Deore LX. Chain won't shift from granny to middle. What's wrong with my setup?

Thanks.
Everything above is compatable with one another....

Re-check that your L limit screw is set at the correct position. Once properly adjusted, fine tune your FD's tension via shifter's barrell adj

#349 ·
Make sure FD is low enough; it shouldn't clear the 36T ring by more than 3mm at most. If it would foul the chainstay when mounted low enough you may be better off with a more compact FD, such as the 9 speed SLX double (intended for 36x22T) or perhaps a road FD. Shifting between tworings should be an easy job for any halfway reasonable FD though, so it may well be setup.

#353 ·
I just had to read more carefull, here is my answer.

^ This will not work. :madman:

To repeat (again) Shimano 9 and 10 speed MTB rear derailleurs and shifters cannot be mixed in any combination!!!

Both must be either 9 speed, or 10 speed, with the matching cassette and chain. 10 speed Shimano MTB stuff is generally compatible only with itself, although IIRC some have said that SRAM pre-10 speed derailleurs and shifters have compatible cable travel, ie, you can (in theory) use a 9 speed SRAM rear mech in a 10 speed drivetrain with Shimano 10 speed shifters, or a Shimano 10 speed mech in a 9 speed drivetrain with SRAM 9 speed shifters (though not their Shimano compatible Gripshifts).

If you want to switch to 10 speed you will need (at least) a 10 speed rear shifter, rear derailleur, cassette and chain. Things might work better if you have matching 10 speed chainrings (or crankset), plus front derailleur, but it's quite possible the 9 speed parts will work okay.

NB: Shimano 10 speed road rear shifters (i.e., barcons) will work when used with a Shimano 9 speed MTB rear mech as most Shimano rear derailleurs (other than 10 speed MTB and pre-1997 Dura-Ace) have compatible cable travel.

It would be more sensible if people asking questions state what shifters, front and rear derailleurs, crankset, chain and cassette they have at present and what they are hoping to achieve by changing things rather than just asking, "Will combination x work?" :thumbsup:

#355 ·
10 speed FD with 9 speed everything else

Hi,

Will a 10 speed front dérailleur fit in my 2X9 SLX drivetrain?

Explanation:
SLX 9 speed FD direct mount is to high. I saw that SLX 10 speed FD would probably fit height wise, since it has more up-down adjustability.

And BTW has anybody had problems with height of direct mount FD?
I have Trek Scratch 9 frame.

#357 ·
Hi,

Will a 10 speed front dérailleur fit in my 2X9 SLX drivetrain?

Explanation:
SLX 9 speed FD direct mount is to high. I saw that SLX 10 speed FD would probably fit height wise, since it has more up-down adjustability.

And BTW has anybody had problems with height of direct mount FD?
I have Trek Scratch 9 frame.
I've currently got a 10 speed XT direct mount with a 9 speed XT crankset set up with only two rings, 22/32T and bash-ring. It works fine with some reservation. The 10 speed cage is obviously narrower than a 9 speed. I've got the high and low limits set to prevent the chain dropping off the rings. When riding on the 32T ring there is slight contact of the derailleur in the bottom two, three cogs. I could keep it as it is and use the first half of the cassette on the 22T ring but I like using all nine cogs on my 32T ring and it bugs me. I'm going to replace the derailleur with a SLX M661 9 speed direct mount.

As to your problem with height, the mount should be a standard height and the height adjustment seems to be the same on all derailleurs. You say you are using a SLX 2 X 9 so I'm assuming you mean a 22/36 crankset. The derailleurs are designed to shift onto larger rings so it appears that the cage is high but they still shift onto and of the granny ring.

#359 ·
Today on my 2008 Anthem I replaced my XT M770 9 speed triple front mech with a XT M785 10 speed double mech, my current set up is:

XT 3x9 cranks with 26/38
9 speed dura ace chain
XT 9 speed 11-34 cassette
XT 9 speed shadow rear mech
XTR 9 speed shifters

Works perfect, I can now use the the full range of gears with no chain rub in any gear and shifts fantastic also looks better fitted than the tripple 9 speed mech, very happy.

#364 ·
Just for info, I today I had to raise the front mech about 5mm above its intended position as the clamp would have slightly come into contact with the lower linkage on the suspension (only during full compression of the shock). Also I was initially using positions 1-2 on the XTR shifter and found that the cable become very slack when on the small ring. I guess the geometry of the 10 speed mech requires less cable to move it horizontally

I measured the cable pull and it was 11mm for 1-2 and 8mm for 2-3, so I switched to using 2-3 on the shifter for my 2x9 setup and it works perfect, no chain rub, crisp quiet gear changes every time. :thumbsup:

#363 ·
Will this work?

Here is my current set up -
9 speed XT M770 Chainset
9 speed XT shadow rear
9 speed XT front mech
9 speed XTR shifters
9 speed XT 11-32 cassette
9 speed KMC X9L chain

I need to replace my front chainrings, chain and cassette as they are knackered. I have got hold of some pretty much new 10 speed XT M770 chainrings 42/32/24.

The 10 speed rings appear to fit to my 9 speed cranks. Can I replace the rings on my 9 speed cranks with the 10 speed ones and still keep all the 9 speed stuff the same?

Is the spacing difference on 10sp chainrings on the cranks or the rings?

#368 ·
The problem I found when shifting 1-2 was that there was a lot of lever throw whilst the shifter was taking up the all the slack, now when using 2-3 on the shifter to move into the big ring I only need a small amount of pressure and there is far less travel because of this the gear change is very fast and smooth and requires a lot less hand movement. I know the xtr M980 LH shfter has a mode switch to change from x3 to x2 which when doing so limits the shifter to use only 2-3.

#373 ·
Kind of a long story but I broke my older 9-speed XTR and I found SRAM X9 at a deal. Had ridden the Dyna-sys 10 and liked it, also heard a lot about the 1:1 SRAM stuff. Shimano does not make Dyna-Sys in 9-speed that I am aware of (I may be wrong). Wanted to stay 9-speed so I went for the full SRAM X9 9-speed. It was great except the rear derailleur. For me it was sub par in a number of ways. Heard 10-speed Shimano Dyna-Sys would work with the SRAM triggers. I really ended up liking the 1:1 cable pull deal. Found a deal on a 10-speed Shimano rear derailluer so figure why not see what I can do with it. Best of both worlds for my needs.

I am kind of a tinkerer as well so it also has some entertainment value there as well.

I really ended up liking the SRAM triggers as much as I like Shimano derailluers so when I read this thread indicating I could have my cake and eat it too I figured why not give it a try.

Last but not least the performance is actually better than stock SRAM so I would not say it is sub par. I am sorry if I may have given that impression. I have pretty high standards for drivetrain performance and I struggle with things I know can be better.

I may have also missed that Shimano possibly makes Dyna-Sys in 9-speed but I am unaware if they do.

#374 ·
hey there. sorry if this question I'm about to ask someone already posted, there's just zillions of posts and didn't get thru all of them...

I basically want to get XTR 980 38-26t crankset. it's ten-speeder, of course, and I would just replace the old 9 speed crankset with it. everything else is 9 speed set-up.

I read around the net that it'll work great, even better than the 9 speed crankset and that I don't have to change anything..
anyone else done that? would be really cool if you did to share the experience with that kind of set-up.

also - I read that 38-26t version is the only version that has cranks made the way it can hold a bash guard. I really hope that is the case as I need to have a bash.

once again, sorry if somebody else made the same post before...
thanx!

#376 ·
Hi. Read through a lot of this and not sure I can find a answer. I am looking to use the following. Shimano xtr 10 speed shifters, front and rear. 10 speed rear derailuer, 9 speed xtr front dr, xt cranks with 44-36-22 9 speed rings and a 10 speed chain and 10 cassette. I know that the fd dereailuer and crank must match due to the change in chainrings spacing an number of teeth. Will this combo work, can you use the 9 speed chainrings with the 10 speed chain?

#379 ·
In my experience setting up a couple of bikes with hybrid 9sp / dynasys 10sp, mixing a 9sp ft der w/ a 10sp ft shifter did not work well, while keeping everything for the back end + chain 10 sp (r der, r shifter, cassette, chain), with everything for the front end 9sp ( der, shifter, crank & rings) worked great. I'm not sure what you should expect with the weird choice of chainring sizes. My double (XT 770 3x crank, run with bash and XT rings in 36/26, 36/24, 36/22) worked great with the SLX 9sp ft derailleur that was designed for 2x Bash running the 36 big ring. Shimano's ft der's have some pretty complex shaping intended to move the chain when/where you want it without excess rub in cross gears. I'm no absolute authority on this, but I think you're going to end up with sub-par front shifting..... try it, but I think you may end up needing to put an older 9sp ft shifter into the mix.
EDIT: I looked through some of the earlier posts that claim a 10sp front shifter works fine with 9sp ft derailleur and rings.... that was not my experience, but in that case I was stepping into the middle of a setup my buddy was struggling with on his bike, so maybe I missed something not doing it from scratch... or maybe those earlier posts were wrong. My setup works great, so you'll have to read through all the pages of posts, not me:D Good luck.

#382 ·
this is a repost - would be really cool if you could solve the mystery for me - thanx!

hey there. sorry if this question I'm about to ask someone already posted, there's just zillions of posts and didn't get thru all of them...

I basically want to get XTR 980 38-26t crankset. it's ten-speeder, of course, and I would just replace the old 9 speed crankset with it. everything else is 9 speed set-up.

I read around the net that it'll work great, even better than the 9 speed crankset and that I don't have to change anything..
anyone else done that? would be really cool if you did to share the experience with that kind of set-up.

also - I read that 38-26t version is the only version that has cranks made the way it can hold a bash guard. I really hope that is the case as I need to have a bash.

once again, sorry if somebody else made the same post before...
thanx!

#386 ·
9sp or 10sp xt upgrade?

Hello,i am new to mountaibiking.
I bought a Canyon Yellowstone 4.0(2012) and i was thinking of upgrading the drivetrain after summer to full shimano XT.(the bike has only a rear derailleur xt-shadow 9-speed of the xt series).
1)Should i go to 9speed or to 10 speed full xt upgrade?as i read that 10 speed will dominate..
2)It worths the money such an upgrade?

#387 ·
So I think that I have it all stright. On the way I have the following
XTR Dyna 10sp RD (The new shadow plus)
XT 10sp R shifter
10Sp Chain
XT 11-36 10sp

All of this takes care of the rear.
Up front I have 2010 9sp XT cranks, rings, DR and shifter.

From what I read the10sp chain should do fine with my front 9sp components...right???

#391 ·
Without an image it is difficult to understand what you mean. A Shimano SLX cassette is about as standard as you can get. If it doesn't fit, what will? Is the cassette maybe faulty. If not I'd contact Crank Brothers.

#394 ·
So far my RR 10-sp. setup looks like it will work. Still waiting on a frame to bolt it all up to, but have the indexed (Shimano (BS79 barcons) shifter installed on the brake lever and cable run to a RD (Shimano XT M770-SGS) and it seems to line up with the rear cogs on every shift position up and down the gears. If index mode does not work, I can always fall back to friction mode, but hoping the index works when I get it all on the frame with a chain running through it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.