Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Yeap... I was wrong. So, we can put SRAM Triggers with a Shimano DynaSys Shadow combo?

I never heard of Shimano publicly show their ratio... I though it's SRAM how says "2:1" to contrast it to the "1:1".

mtbr member
    Ok, anyone know if SRAM's 10spd chainrings fit on a Dyna-sys XT crankset?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hrdude
    Ok, anyone know if SRAM's 10spd chainrings fit on a Dyna-sys XT crankset?
    SRAM's double cranksets use a different bolt circle diameter than normal 104BCD cranks like the XT so they aren't compatible

Threading freely...
    Quote Originally Posted by kuolas
    Yeap... I was wrong. So, we can put SRAM Triggers with a Shimano DynaSys Shadow combo?

I never heard of Shimano publicly show their ratio... I though it's SRAM how says "2:1" to contrast it to the "1:1".
    That's what I'm trying to figure out for sure--has anyone tried? But only SRAM 9 speed triggers might work, as the 10 speed SRAM stuff is no longer 1:1 ratio.

I also wonder if a 9 speed chain would work in a 10 speed rear derailleur with a 9 speed cassette.

Thank you all for the input.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

SLX Dyna sys everything with exception of SRAM X9 10 speed rear derailleur/shifter

Hello All,

I think this is a question that hasn't been addressed yet, but I may be wrong:

I am about to pull the trigger on a bike that comes with a full Shimano Dyna Sys SLX 3X10 drivetrain (cranks with 24t/32t/42t chainrings, chain, shifters, front & rear derailleur, cassette, etc). It's a 2011 Giant Reign 1. However, I like the feel of SRAM's 10 speed X9 shifter/rear derailleur combo and would like to incorporate this into my bike in the near future for as little cost as possible.

Q: Can I keep all of my shimano SLX dyna sys components (FD, chain, cassette, cranks, chainrings) and only replace the rear derailleur and rear shifter with SRAM X9 10 speed components? So everything would be dyna sys with the exception of the rear derailleur and rear shifter pod.

I am unsure of how the dyna sys SLX cranks/front derailleur combo will affect the SRAM 10 speed shifting in the rear. Any input or concerns would be greatly appreciated.

It has already been stated that the dyna sys cassette is interchangeable with 10 speed SRAM rear derailleurs (I know I will need to keep the dyna sys chain), but will a SRAM 10 speed rear derailleur be compatible and function properly with dyna sys SLX up front ???

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by bikeNY22; 03-16-2011 at 09:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I believe the SRAM 10 speed works out as a 0.8:1 ratio now, their 8/9 speed stuff is 1:1
    Currently I'm using X5 Triggers (SRAM 9s) with an X7 rear dérailleur (SRAM 10s)... so... It's still the same 1:1 ratio?

mtbr member
    Finally finished my set up...works Great!
    shimano SLX 9 speed cranks: double ring set up with Blackspire super pro 38T and 26T
    dynasys XT shifters F and R
    XT 9 sp FD
    XT 10 sp RD
    XTR 10 sp dynasys chain with wipperman connect link
    XT 11 - 36 T 10 sp rear cassette
    Ridden twice...shifts flawlessly. More to come after a race this weekend!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yes, your can use SRAM RD and rear shifter with Shimano cranks, chainrings FD etc. Your front gear does not care what your rear gear is doing. I'm using SRAM RD and rear 10 speed shifter, Shimano 10 speed cassette, Shimano 10 speed chain and Blackspire 9 speed rings. Works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeNY22
    Hello All,

I think this is a question that hasn't been addressed yet, but I may be wrong:

I am about to pull the trigger on a bike that comes with a full Shimano Dyna Sys SLX 3X10 drivetrain (cranks with 24t/32t/42t chainrings, chain, shifters, front & rear derailleur, cassette, etc). It's a 2011 Giant Reign 1. However, I like the feel of SRAM's 10 speed X9 shifter/rear derailleur combo and would like to incorporate this into my bike in the near future for as little cost as possible.

Q: Can I keep all of my shimano SLX dyna sys components (FD, chain, cassette, cranks, chainrings) and only replace the rear derailleur and rear shifter with SRAM X9 10 speed components? So everything would be dyna sys with the exception of the rear derailleur and rear shifter pod.

I am unsure of how the dyna sys SLX cranks/front derailleur combo will affect the SRAM 10 speed shifting in the rear. Any input or concerns would be greatly appreciated.

It has already been stated that the dyna sys cassette is interchangeable with 10 speed SRAM rear derailleurs (I know I will need to keep the dyna sys chain), but will a SRAM 10 speed rear derailleur be compatible and function properly with dyna sys SLX up front ???

Thanks in advance

mtbr member

Good job! back from the lab

Quote Originally Posted by Teigansdad
    Finally finished my set up...works Great!
    shimano SLX 9 speed cranks: double ring set up with Blackspire super pro 38T and 26T
    dynasys XT shifters F and R
    XT 9 sp FD
    XT 10 sp RD
    XTR 10 sp dynasys chain with wipperman connect link
    XT 11 - 36 T 10 sp rear cassette
    Ridden twice...shifts flawlessly. More to come after a race this weekend!
    So I rode the above set up twice last week then took it out for it's intended purpose...raced on it yesterday. LOVED IT. No miss shifts,no skips, no hesitations on front shifts. Even cross chained more than I had intended in 38X36 combo and it just asked for more! So if any of you are hesitating on making a change hope the above helps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    From what I understand the front 10 speed shifter is identical to the 9 speed shifter. The difference is in the geometry of the front derailleur. The 10 speed front derailleur moves slightly less per shift due to the 10 speed crankset using thinner rings with closer spacing. You can interchange the front derailleurs, but they will be very difficult to adjust. A 9 speed front derailleur on a 10 speed crankset will slightly overshift .....
    The solution to this is to run a double crank. Use the stops to cheat things.
    As long as it is set up to shift to the right point for the bigger ring, then setting the inner stop to stop the thing correctly for the other ring means no prob at all. Both positions the DL will be in 'exactly' the right place.

And 10sp is all about double cranks anyway for MTB. Double + bash is the way to go for real trail riding.
    Riding MTB on the road. Sure, you want triple. But then you don't need 10sp anyway. + 9sp with thicker rings wears slower by definition. So save cash twice with no downside. And if you're wondering about intercompatibility of 9 and 10sp, then cash and durability/longevity are both relevant. So there is the solution. Double + bash. Or stay 9sp.
    Even 9sp double + bash loses v little to 10sp. If you are racing, sure.
    But this thread is not for racers. Its for those of us who care about bang for our buck. And IMO that is even more dominated than ever by 9sp now the prices are down.

Maybe I could shave 1min of my favourite loop with 10sp. And be back in the car moments sooner. YAY, traffic!
    I can definitely save some cash and plenty of minutes at home (which can be invested in going out and riding) by sticking w 9sp.

Personal opinion of course. I'll go 10 at some point. But what's the rush. Getting paid in time and cash to stay w 9 is just fine for a season or so. 9sp double+bash is great. 24-36 11-32 can handle almost anything rideable with moderately strong legs and reasonable lungs and has almost the same ratios.
    Use Sheldon Brown's (sheldonbrown.com) ratio calculator to check it out. Great tool for planning your drive.
    Arguably, 10sp gives you one more 'useful' gear in the middle of the range.
    But in reality, how often are you in the middle of the range? Going up you are in the low end. The rest in the high end. Middle is just for people who don't climb steep stuff and make a point of wearing all cogs evenly! Now that's REAL thrift!
    Give me 1000more gears in the middle and I'll still use the highest 3 and lowest 3 more than the rest combined as the actual ratios for these 6 don't change much. You pick parts that make these important ratios as high as you can handle on what you ride - however many other gears there are.

So your '27sp' bike is really about a 6-8sp.
    And your '30sp' is ALSO about a 6-8sp!!!
    So is an '18sp'.
    Or an 'XX'.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Here is a challenge. Go and ride a 7 or 8 speed bike. You might be upset at the old suspension or worn out tires, maybe the weight. But (assuming it's adjusted ok) the gearing will not bother you one bit. Because the *useful* ratios are all there, and the same as your 9. And will be the same as your 10.
    10sp shaves weight and can reduce front shifting. Competitive advantage. If you're racing.
    If you're not racing, one could argue that it is a competitive disadvantage in the game of life. Takes time and cash for little meaningful change in performance. New drive is expensive. If you have a budget (as we all do here), one can put that towards better/lighter tires/wheels/suspension that all affect your ride - and also affect times.

Don't get me wrong, 10sp is a welcome evo. But dropping anything/everything to pander to the 'must have' instinct is IMO getting carried away.
    Go SRAM for 10sp IMO.
    Last edited by Ecogeek; 04-03-2011 at 05:38 PM.

mtbr member
    I happen to have a new 24/32/bash XTR 9 sp chainring set.
    Will they work on my 10sp XT Tallboy
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

Old-newbie
    Yes.

Since last November I have been using a Shimano 10-sp front shifter with a Sram 9-sp RD, a Shimano 10-sp cassette, and a Sram 10-sp chain. It works because the full pull of the new Shimano 10-sp stuff is exactly the same as the full pull of the old Sram 9-sp stuff. The Shimano incompatibility engineers must have screwed up.

Shifting has been perfect, even when I screw up and shift under load. I do a lot of steep climbing, so the system has had some abuse. Since the install I haven't even had to adjust it.

gerG

Quote Originally Posted by Bikebr
    "2. Nine speed rear derailleurs will not work with 10 speed mountain rear shifters. They will however work with road “flat bar” 10 speed rear shifters. Dyna speed shifters pull twice as much cable per shift as 9 speed shifters, so if you use a 9 speed derailleur it shifts two gears for every one push."

"This confirms what I read only once before. The Dyna-sys cable pull to rear derailleur rate is 1:1, like SRAM (9 Speed) now. I haven't heard if SRAM changed from 1:1 to something else for XX."

"I believe the SRAM 10 speed works out as a 0.8:1 ratio now, their 8/9 speed stuff is 1:1, all shimano derailleurs except the new 10speed mtb (and the 7/8 speed DuraAce) are 2:1 and the shimano 10s MTB is I believe its been measured out as something like 1.25:1."

Folks, sorry if i lost something in translation (english is not my native language).. Is it possible to use a 9 sp SRAM rear der in a full 10 sp DynaSys system(i.e. changing a XT RD-M773 for a X9)?
    Thanks.
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

mtbr member
    So 9sp XTR chainrings will fit a 2011 XT crank.
    That's great news.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Chain question

Great thread! I'm pulling the trigger on a budget conversion, 9sp front with 10sp rear. I have an ultegra 6701 chain and need to know of it will work before I order parts. The configuration will be 970 (XTR 9 sp) crank and fr derailleur, 980 shifters, 771 cassette and 773 rear derailleur and chain TBD. It seems the mountain 10sp chains are “optimized” but that’s the same thing Shimano says about their road chains which I have no problems mixing with SRAM road cranks and cassettes. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i've read through this forum, but it doesnt seem like my question has been asked/answered. if it has, pardon my lack of comprehension.
    i have 9spd every thing...rear cassette, chain, front and rear derailer..id like to get a new crankset...
    if i get the dyna sys 10spd cranks will they work well with my old components?
    the point of this is so i can go 10spd down the road when its necessary.
    im planning on running it as a 2x9 for now, 2x10 down the road.

KPH
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11
    if i get the dyna sys 10spd cranks will they work well with my old components?
    the point of this is so i can go 10spd down the road when its necessary.
    im planning on running it as a 2x9 for now, 2x10 down the road.
    I recently fitted an XTR crankset (3 chainrings, for 10 spd system), replacing an old set of XT (3 chainrings, for 9spd system).

I had to change the front mech to XTR 10spd and also the chain to a 10spd chain.

My current set up that works very well is:

Front shifter - 9-spd (sic) XTR 2008
    Front Mech - 10 spd (sic) XTR 2011 - 3 chainring
    Cranks/chainring - 10spd 3 chainring XTR 2011
    Rear Shifter - 9 spd XTR 2008
    Rear mech - 9 spd XTR 2008
    Chain - 10 spd XTR 2011

Not buying in to all the marketing BS, but I did notice a significant different (for the the better) over the old XT in gear changes to a larger chain ring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi murrdogg11, I bought a 10 speed xt crankset and put my old 9 speed rings back on to it.

Works great. I plan on upgrading to 10 speed eventually.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KPH
    I recently fitted an XTR crankset (3 chainrings, for 10 spd system), replacing an old set of XT (3 chainrings, for 9spd system).

I had to change the front mech to XTR 10spd and also the chain to a 10spd chain.

My current set up that works very well is:

Front shifter - 9-spd (sic) XTR 2008
    Front Mech - 10 spd (sic) XTR 2011 - 3 chainring
    Cranks/chainring - 10spd 3 chainring XTR 2011
    Rear Shifter - 9 spd XTR 2008
    Rear mech - 9 spd XTR 2008
    Chain - 10 spd XTR 2011

Not buying in to all the marketing BS, but I did notice a significant different (for the the better) over the old XT in gear changes to a larger chain ring.
    ok thanks for that....so basically i need a new chain and front derailer?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by with_the_band
    Hi murrdogg11, I bought a 10 speed xt crankset and put my old 9 speed rings back on to it.

Works great. I plan on upgrading to 10 speed eventually.
    thanks for the advice, however my current rings have no life left in them.

KPH
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11
    ok thanks for that....so basically i need a new chain and front derailer?
    Yep, that's what I'd recommend

FYI, I paid US$43 for the XTR 10 spd chain and US$ 73 for the [conventional] front derailer

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KPH
    Yep, that's what I'd recommend

FYI, I paid US$43 for the XTR 10 spd chain and US$ 73 for the [conventional] front derailer
    Interesting, I may do the same. Did you try with the 9s FD and changed because it wasn't working well or did you go straight to the 10s FD?

Also, is it possible to put a 22t XTR m970 granny on the m980 trail triple instead of the OEM 24t?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Anyone have 10spd chain reccomendations? On some of the reviews I've read people are complaining about breaking shimano 10spd chains.

bi-winning
    This thread has been helpful to me. I learned a few things. It would be nice if manufacturers made it a little easier to figure out this kind of information.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Programmer
    Nov 2006
    So I can purchase the SL-M770-10R rear shifter (non flat bar version) and it will be compatible with my 10 Speed Ultegra der?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by work-ed
    So I can purchase the SL-M770-10R rear shifter (non flat bar version) and it will be compatible with my 10 Speed Ultegra der?
    In theory... no. But, you could use Mega9 and your Ultegra, and it should work.

See this...
    http://waltworks.blogspot.com/2011/0...-artistic.html
    G11KARX - GT Karakoram X Kai
    2-Cylinder - 1.2 HP (950W) @ 110 RPM

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast