Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks guy. Thought rear der were consider "dumb" components, but. With the bigger range of a 10spd drivetrain guess it would take more cable. Looks like I'm saving for a while longer. LolDyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)-image.jpg

bump and grind
    X0 9 speed Rear Derailleur + XT dynasis shifter, cogset and chain = Working drivetrain!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here's the gear that I recently installed on my 2008 Kona 2-9:
    -2013 Shimano SLX M670 Shifters
    -2013 Shimano XT Shadow Plus RD-M786 rear derailleur (medium cage)
    -Shimano XT FD-M780 (2x10) front derailleur
    -Shimano SLX 10-speed cogset 11-36
    -Shimano SLX HG74 10 Speed MTB Chain
    -Truvativ AKA 24/36 2.1 GXP 9-speed crankset w/ bashring

Everything operates great...shifting is sweet, but....
    Here's my problem...when in the 36 chainring in front and the 36 cog in back...I'm getting a very extreme chain angle and some chain rub while under power...it doesn't sound or look good. My understanding is that the Truvativ AKA 2.1 crankset has a 51mm chainline. Judging from looking at the chainline from the rear of the bike, it definitely looks like the crankset needs to move inboard the equivalent width of a one cog jump.

....so I'm now considering replacing the Truvativ AKA with the Truvativ X9 GXP 2x10 crank. It's nearly identical to the AKA crank. From what I could find online, it looks like the Truvativ X9 2x10 crank has a 49.5mm chainline.

Do you think this is the right solution to the problem? Will a 1.5mm chainline difference do the trick?
    For reference I noticed the 2013 Shimano SLX & XT 2x10 crank has a chainline of 48.8mm.
    So we're talking about a difference of 0.7mm between the Truvativ X9 crank and the Shimano SLX/XT, and a difference of 2.2mm between my existing Truvativ AKA and Shimano SLX/XT.

Has anyone else tried a similar setup?
    I know Specialized has a few new 2013 models...Stumpjumper and Carve....that use SLX shifters w/ XT rear derailleur, but they're using a SRAM cogset, KMC chain, and a "custom" SRAM crank....the crank looks to be based on SRAM/Truvativ's X7 2x10 crankset...therefore it's chainline is most likely 49.5mm.

My only reason for not jumping on an XT or SLX Shimano crankset is simply aesthetics...I just like the looks of the Truvativ crank w/ bashguard.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    JP

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by zuzu27 View Post
    Here's my problem...when in the 36 chainring in front and the 36 cog in back...I'm getting a very extreme chain angle and some chain rub while under power...it doesn't sound or look good.
    This is not good indeed, but is expected, normal behavior from all modern 2-derailer, full-cassette drivetrains. They are not supposed to be operated for extended periods with such chain angles. Some FD cage rub is allowable in such extreme gear combinations.

On a GXP crankset you can move chainline inboard a little, e. g. by putting an extra 2.5 mm spacer under the NDS BB cup. There's some excess spindle length which allows for that.

Quote Originally Posted by zuzu27 View Post
    Here's the gear that I recently installed on my 2008 Kona 2-9:
    -2013 Shimano SLX M670 Shifters
    -2013 Shimano XT Shadow Plus RD-M786 rear derailleur (medium cage)
    -Shimano XT FD-M780 (2x10) front derailleur
    -Shimano SLX 10-speed cogset 11-36
    -Shimano SLX HG74 10 Speed MTB Chain
    -Truvativ AKA 24/36 2.1 GXP 9-speed crankset w/ bashring
    I'd choose some of these parts the other way around: XT shifters, but both SLX derailers.
    26" faithful.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Apologies if I am missing the definitive information in this thread: is cable pull different for Shimano 10sp and 9sp front derailleur.

I thought about experimenting with a 10sp front XT shifter I have unused after switching one bike to 1x10, with 9sp SLX-667 derailleur and double crank (that I have troubles adjusting perfectly due to frame clearances). If it is different - will it move more, or less? Since I would need it for two rings only - moving slightly will help me, slightly less, would not.

mtbr member
    The pull is the same. The only thing I'm not 100%sure of is whether you need to set the 2x/3x mode to 2x or not. I'd think you need it to 3X which is like you older 9-speed shifter. I'd try that first, if it does not shift right, try the 2x mode. The 2X is set and holds the shifter in the middle and big ring bypassing the granny.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So dyna sys 10 cassette minus the 11t should work with SRAM 9 gripshifters + dyna sys+ 10 rear derrailleur?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoo View Post
    Someone wanted pictures. Here is the spacer needed to allow Shimano 10-speed rear derailleur to play nice with SRAM 9-speed trigger shifter.
    Not sure how to post an image so here is a link to them if you want to see.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Goosela...uH1KG5tuykhAE#[/
    Hi, incredible work here Stevoo! Was it the outboard displacement of the anchor (along with cable-exit angle) that made the difference? Ie, the anchor point being laterally further from the wheel? Or is some fore/aft displacement helpful too? Thanks for this beautiful craftsmanship!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Does anyone tried 10speed road chain on mtb drivetrain. I want to put a shimano 105 5701 road chain on 2x10 mtb drive train.
    Shimano says that can not be mixed road and mountain bike components!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Potahal, have you tried this yet? I'm going to give it a try this week or next - wondering if you/anyone has more advice to add about cable clamping adjustments, angles, fore-aft offset? (I tried contacting Stevoo for more details but he must be spending all his time riding!)

Quote Originally Posted by potahal View Post
    This looks great, I too want to use a new clutch derailleur but don't want to go down the whole 10 speed route, and have a 9-speed Sram shifter lying around. Could you please post the thickness of the spacer you have machined.
    Thanks,
    Pete

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cobym2 View Post
    X0 9 speed Rear Derailleur + XT dynasis shifter, cogset and chain = Working drivetrain!

hi, do you have to change any screws on the 9spd XO rear d to make it work with the XT 10spd dynasis system?

mtbr member

New hack

Got the following combination to work:

9 speed cassette
    10 speed Shadow+ SLX RD
    10 speed SLX shifter

Worked on the stand with both 9 speed and 10 speed chains. Rode it around the yard but haven't gone on a series ride yet.

To make it work all I had do was to attach the cable to the RD a little differently:

Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)-rd-hack-2.jpg

Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)-rd-hack-1.jpg

Avner.
    Last edited by cyberavner; 04-07-2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

meow, meow.
    Very interesting, please post ride reports.. do you find shifting worse or the same as the typical full 10-speed Shimano setup?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Nice work cyberavner! Very interested in post-ride reports too!

mtbr member
    Nice find Cyberavner! Sounds like some of the old tricks still work with using different cable routing to provide different indexing.

Derailer Adjustment - scroll to the bottom for alternate cable routing.

mtbr member
    Sorry for the long delay.
    After a few rides I can say that the mod is working.
    The shifting is not quite as good as stock, but I believe that it is caused by my custom 11-42 cassette and the extreme B tension screw adjustment it requires.
    This cassette is much harder to get to shift right than a stock one because of the large diameter 42 tooth cog and the big tooth count difference between adjacent cogs.

Avner.

mtbr member
    so Can I do a x.7 10 spd rear deraliuer with a xtr 10 spd shifter?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ok So I had a 9 speed XTR Drivetrain with a Deore Sp Crankset, Can I Change use a 10 sp Front Derrailleur with a 9sp Chain?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoo View Post
    Yes, SRAM 9-speed shifter is now mated to a Shimano 10-speed rear Deraileur with my adapter block. You can use any level of 10-speed Shimano rear deraileur you would like. I use the XTR Shadow Plus. Folks had posted that no modification was needed with this mix n match but I found that it was close but no cigar so I developed a solution.

I also hate shifting issues. Went to the Shimano rear dearaileur just for that reason.

It has been rock solid since original installation. I have yet to adjust it and it is even on a tandem.

Happy trails.

Steve

Do you have a pic of said block?

I'm currently running sram 9sp xo grippers and want to upgrade to the shimano clutch rear.

thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yes, I posted a picture on I think page 16 of the Thread: Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems dated 4-2-12.

mtbr member

Slightly Off Topic

In the end my 9 + 10 speed shifter/derailure/cassette mix and match did not work as smoothly as I wanted. While I assume most folks are trying to get it all to work together to save $, my goal was to get a 36 tooth rear cog on my heavy 9 speed full suspension bike (Niner W.F.O.) and start replacing worn out components on my hard tail. I found a heavy Shimano HG61 12-36 9 speed cassette. The extra easy 22/36 granny gear is exactly what I wanted and I did not have to change any of the 9 speed components. That cassette is heavy but the weight was not noticeable when climbing. As for my 26 hard tail, I just opted to ditch the nine speed altogether and bite the bullet for a new 10 speed XT drivetrain. Both of those options provided far smoother shifting than the combination of 9 and 10 speed components that I attempted to run.

mtbr member
    if I change my rear mech, cassette, chain, and rear shifter from 9 speed XT to 10 speed XT

will I run into problems?
    Rolling & Tumbling

meow, meow.
    For the record, recently I managed to get the following combination of parts to kind of work: FC-M780, FD-M412 (!!) and a SRAM X.9 10-speed front trigger, with a 10-speed Wippermann chain.

I had to use big pliers to squeeze (cold set), in several attempts, FD cage so that it's able to work with narrower chain than it's supposed to. The outside facing part of the cage yielded. Shifting is so far so good.

And the story began with an attempt to mate a 445 mm chainstay 29er (typical value) with a triple crankset. Turned out there was no tire clearance against SRAM X.7 9-speed FD I was initially given to install on that bike (whole bike is a bunch of poorly matching parts collected in a failed attempt at color co-ordination). The FD-M412 that I hastily snatched at an LBS saved the day. FD-M780 is on order and I wonder whether is will give the necessary tire clearance.

This case led me to thinking that 29ers may be the true reason behind the quick advent of 2x10 drivetrains.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by miggy View Post
    if I change my rear mech, cassette, chain, and rear shifter from 9 speed XT to 10 speed XT

will I run into problems?
    My guess would be no, and I'd expect things to be okay, but sadly the only way to be sure is to try. FWIW, I'd be prepared to do this myself and would expect it to work. If you are patient enough to read through all the older posts I suspect other people have done this successfully.

Good luck with it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hello, mates!
    Recently, i decided to go to 3x10-speed setup instead of 3x9.

I have a 9-speed Shimano XT FC-M770 44-32-22 crankset. The question is - can i convert it to 10-speed just by changing the chainrings? I already have purchased 42t chainring from 10-speed crankset. Do i need to buy 32t chainring from 10-speed crankset, or it is the same as 32t on 9-speed version? Is the distance between chainrings same on 9 and 10-speed crank spider?

Thank you guys!
    Last edited by NazZaR; 01-15-2014 at 03:41 AM.
    Please help us save the Snow Leopard
    https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition...go_Barsa/?copy

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast