Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 609
  1. #301
    Dual Squishy...
    Reputation: Jeepnut22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    489
    Ok, so installation done, and it works great so far.

    2x10 speed XT cranks 26x38
    10 speed KMC chain
    9 speed Front and Rear shifters and deraillures
    9 speed cassette, 11-34

    I get a little bit of rubbing when cross chaining, but ever so slight. Shifts perfect, but it hasn't gotten dirty yet.







  2. #302
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    179
    Well, it looks great whether it works or not! Love the gold chain

  3. #303
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    16
    damn shame about those flouro cables but!!!

  4. #304
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    41
    Hi everyone, please help me here guys or direct me to appropriate forum thread.

    I'm a newbie and starting to ride my mountain bike again.I just bought a real nice used bike a year ago. I'm not happy with the crankset and want to replace it without spending a lot of money on a whole new drivetrain. Most of the new cranksets are for 27 or 30 speed, built for 9 or 10 speed cassette. I want to know what crankset can I get that will improve my ride without replacing other components besides the crankset and cassette. I saw on Ebay SHIMANO DEORE XT M770 CRANKSET W/ BB
    22/32/44T 9 SPEED and I was wondering would this would work. If so, what cassette should I get with it? Please feel free to give any recommendations. My awesome bike is:

    Team Marin issued, 1990's Titanium hardtail
    24 speed drive train, XT front and rear derailleurs and shifters
    XTR V brakes

  5. #305
    meow, meow.
    Reputation: J. Random Psycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,070
    uraso, looks like you've got a 3x8 drivetrain. If it's still functional (chain and cassette not worn down) then I'd leave it 8-speed. A 770 crankset should fit, just be sure to have BB shell faced, because external bearing cranksets were not widespread in the 90s. You can try installing it with one 2.5 mm spacer less on drive side than the manual says, so as to get back the 47.5 mm chainline that your front derailer probably expects.
    26" faithful.

  6. #306
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    You can try installing it with one 2.5 mm spacer less on drive side than the manual says, so as to get back the 47.5 mm chainline that your front derailer probably expects.
    Don't forget to install the spacer on the other side, to maintain the q-factor the crank and BB is designed for.

  7. #307
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    35

    Rr?

    Satanas.. thanks so much! That was exactly the type of info I was looking for. Are you in the Bay Area? I owe you a beer!

    Can't wait to get my Mojo HD built up and start the tinkering required to get my new XTR RR derailler (I've hoarded a couple) to work. [/QUOTE]



    Camus, did you ever get this set up to work? I to would like to go 1x10, but would strongly prefer the rapid rise rear derailer.
    Thanks for any info

  8. #308
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    uraso, looks like you've got a 3x8 drivetrain. If it's still functional (chain and cassette not worn down) then I'd leave it 8-speed. A 770 crankset should fit, just be sure to have BB shell faced, because external bearing cranksets were not widespread in the 90s. You can try installing it with one 2.5 mm spacer less on drive side than the manual says, so as to get back the 47.5 mm chainline that your front derailer probably expects.
    Thanks, I'm consider the SLX or used XTR 952 now, or new XT 10 speed group

    You think I can install all this myself being a complete newbie?

  9. #309
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by NielsJ View Post
    Don't forget to install the spacer on the other side, to maintain the q-factor the crank and BB is designed for.
    is there an instructional videos or reference I can refer to when install this. Seems to be so technical.

  10. #310
    meow, meow.
    Reputation: J. Random Psycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by uraso View Post
    Thanks, I'm consider the SLX or used XTR 952 now, or new XT 10 speed group

    You think I can install all this myself being a complete newbie?
    95х series of XTR cranks are good, but there's a catch, it's going to be hard to find bottom brackets for those.

    For SLX and XT you want your BB shell faced on that frame. Tools to do that are expensive and you only need to do it once per frame. So it's better to go to your favorite LBS. They can also install the crankset for you. Or, if you have good success rate with wrenching on mechanical things, you may choose to install it yourself. You'll need suitable grease (anti-seize compounds work great), good hex wrenches, an external BB cup tool and a preload cap tool for Shimano Hollowtech 2 cranksets (some external BB tools come with that). A torque wrench (or two) is also a nice thing to have.
    26" faithful.

  11. #311
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    95х series of XTR cranks are good, but there's a catch, it's going to be hard to find bottom brackets for those.

    For SLX and XT you want your BB shell faced on that frame. Tools to do that are expensive and you only need to do it once per frame. So it's better to go to your favorite LBS. They can also install the crankset for you. Or, if you have good success rate with wrenching on mechanical things, you may choose to install it yourself. You'll need suitable grease (anti-seize compounds work great), good hex wrenches, an external BB cup tool and a preload cap tool for Shimano Hollowtech 2 cranksets (some external BB tools come with that). A torque wrench (or two) is also a nice thing to have.
    Thanks, in order words, go to LBS.

    I just wanted to learn, but i guess it's too much of an obstacle.

  12. #312
    Red sticky ball
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikinDude View Post
    Satanas.. thanks so much! That was exactly the type of info I was looking for. Are you in the Bay Area? I owe you a beer!

    Can't wait to get my Mojo HD built up and start the tinkering required to get my new XTR RR derailler (I've hoarded a couple) to work.


    Camus, did you ever get this set up to work? I to would like to go 1x10, but would strongly prefer the rapid rise rear derailer.
    Thanks for any info
    No, no no. I was not able to get this to work. I love Rapid Rise almost as much as I love my own dick. I ordered the pulley recommended one this forum. I tinkered with it for days. I went through three derailleur cables. And, not to brag, but after 25 years working on bikes, motos, and cars, I am no slouch in the shop.

    Couldn't get it to work - almost but not quite. It would shift through the first 4 small cogs just fine then skip over a the large ones. Coming back from the large cogs it would shift just fine then skip over the middle cogs. It was aggravating, I tell you!

    Then I took it to the bike shop and told them, "make it work, I don't care how much it cost"

    They could not get it working. The ratio of the cable pull was wrong. It would almost work but then skip across two of the biggest cogs with one shift.

    DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS. Especially if you have a Mojo HD, the last generation XTR RR der, and 2011 10-speed shifters. It. Will. Not. Work.

    I hope this saves someone the time and frustration that I went through. F Shimano!

    I've put 20+ rides on a normal XT derailleur and it sucks. RR is so much better.

    And F-ing 10 cogs? WTF? Completely unneeded. More marketing BS from the components manufacturers. A$$holes!
    Last edited by camus; 01-15-2012 at 05:00 PM.

  13. #313
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5

    bar end shifters

    Hey, spent a heap of time reading through all the pages on this thread however I'm not 100% sure before I make a purchase. I'm building a touring bike and didn't do my research on Dynasys and have fallen into a trap where I have bought 10 speed dura-ace bar shifters SL-BS79 to go with a SLX-660 10 speed Shimano groupset. Considering the bar end shifters are designed for road, does this...:

    2. Nine speed rear derailleurs will not work with 10 speed mountain rear shifters. They will however work with road “flat bar” 10 speed rear shifters. Dyna speed shifters pull twice as much cable per shift as 9 speed shifters, so if you use a 9 speed derailleur it shifts two gears for every one push.
    ...mean that I can buy a 9 speed XT rear derailleur like the M771 and it will work with my shifters? My cassette is 11-36T 10 speed..

  14. #314
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    724
    Yes, any Shimano 9 speed derailleur will work with Shimano road shifters with the appropriate number of speeds to match the cassette used (pre-1997 Dura-Ace 740x excepted). Some people have said that non-Shadow derailleurs may not clear 36T cogs on some frames, so you may be better off with either a Shadow mech or with a <36T cassette.

  15. #315
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Yes, any Shimano 9 speed derailleur will work with Shimano road shifters with the appropriate number of speeds to match the cassette used (pre-1997 Dura-Ace 740x excepted). Some people have said that non-Shadow derailleurs may not clear 36T cogs on some frames, so you may be better off with either a Shadow mech or with a <36T cassette.
    hey! thanks for the quick reply, very helpful as I want to get this build over and done with and it's the last thing that needs assistance. Interesting note on the shadow, I have read some comments that they don't last as long as the standard rear mech. Do you have any references to it? I can't seem to bring anything up on google

  16. #316
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    724
    Sorry, I've not used or worked on the Shadow mechs myself, just reporting what others said here at mtbr re clearing 36T cogs; cannot say anything re durability or anything else, but the comment on 36T cogs stuck in my head. It seemed to be the only good reason to use one to me, but I prefer closer ratios and am hoping to stick with 34T or less anyway. Good luck. :-)

  17. #317
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5
    ah.. awesome, i've made an order for a shadow then. thanks for your help =)

  18. #318
    ban
    ban is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,272
    can different brands (same speeds range though) of chains and cassettes be mixed together? I've always used Sram 9sp cassettes with Shimano chains as they are cheaper, can this be done with 10sp??

  19. #319
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    13
    Should work

  20. #320
    mtbr member
    Reputation: creyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    698

    new 10 speed crank with 9 speed group?

    This thread has been a wealth of knowledge but I haven't quite found a definitive answer to my situation.

    I have all 9-speed XT on my bike, in a 2x9 configuration. I'd like to replace the cranks with a new XT M785 2x10 crankset, but of course Shimano says it's incompatible. What about this setup wont work?

  21. #321
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by creyc View Post
    This thread has been a wealth of knowledge but I haven't quite found a definitive answer to my situation.

    I have all 9-speed XT on my bike, in a 2x9 configuration. I'd like to replace the cranks with a new XT M785 2x10 crankset, but of course Shimano says it's incompatible. What about this setup wont work?
    Just to throw my experience your way, I did something fairly similar last year. I had a 9spd drivetrain with Race Face cranks. I swapped out my RF cranks with a new XTR M985 double, a 10spd chain, and a 2x10 front derailleur. Shifters, cassette and rear derailleur remained 9spd with no issues

    Hope that helps.

  22. #322
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by creyc View Post
    I have all 9-speed XT on my bike, in a 2x9 configuration. I'd like to replace the cranks with a new XT M785 2x10 crankset, but of course Shimano says it's incompatible. What about this setup wont work?
    Nothing, I guess, but I have no idea. I've been running SRAM X9 (2x10) crank set for a while without any problems. The rest is 3x9. Even the chain is 9spd.
    Soon I'll be putting on a 2x10 FD. I don't know if it requires a new 10spd chain, but I doubt it.
    Go for it!

    (PS. The black pedal arms look sweet when new, but the scratch up real easily )

  23. #323
    mtbr member
    Reputation: creyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    698
    Thanks for the input guys. Yea I've seen a few people running 10 speed cranks with their 9 speed systems but only after also switching to a 10 speed chain. (jeepnut22 on this page for example)

    Is there a reason for this or could I stick with my fairly new 9 speed chain? I guess I don't get what makes this crank "incompatible" with 9-speed as shimano says, is it the chainring spacing on the spiders? The gear size? The width of the teeth?

  24. #324
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5
    awesome! just attached the XT 9 speed M772 with my set of Dura-Ace 10 speed bar end shifters and 10 speed casette and it shifts perfectly! amazing!

    thanks for the help guys it cured my headache

  25. #325
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by ejayt View Post
    awesome! just attached the XT 9 speed M772 with my set of Dura-Ace 10 speed bar end shifters and 10 speed casette and it shifts perfectly! amazing!

    thanks for the help guys it cured my headache
    Do you have the model number of the shifters you used (not sure if you already had the SL-BS79 shifters or were just looking at them) and are you running the shifters in index or friction mode? I am currently trying to set up a drive train for a CX bike I am building and would love to run an 11-36 rear cassette with the same RD you are running and put the bar end shifters on some RetroShift brake levers along with a road-triple FD and 22-32-44 9-speed front crank. Also, do the front and rear shifters move the same direction to shift to a higher or lower gear? I ran into opposite shifting with the barcons on my road bike (front went full down for lowest chainring, rear went full up for largest cog). Ended up having to swap in a rapid-rise RD to reverse the shifter direction.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 02-15-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •