Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rschreck View Post
    I am running a 9 speed drivetrain on my 2014 Surly Pugsley (screw you Surly for using 9 speed). It consists of a Deore Direct Mount front derailleur (sorry can't find the model number), an SLX M662 rear derailleur, Shimano CS-HG61 cassette, and a SRAM X5 crankset. I am currently looking to replace the Microshift Thumbshifters with Shimano shifters. I don't want Deore though.

I found a pair of XTR M970 9 speed shifters for a really good price and I'm wondering if they will work with my front and rear derailluers. I'm tired of spending money on parts only to find out they won't work with a 2x9 setup.
    They should work perfectly. The derailleurs are nine speed as are the shifters.

I've been using a pair of XTR M970 shifters for years with an XT M772 rear derailleur and an XT front. (Also don't remember the model number.)
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    They should work perfectly. The derailleurs are nine speed as are the shifters.

I've been using a pair of XTR M970 shifters for years with an XT M772 rear derailleur and an XT front. (Also don't remember the model number.)
    So it doesn't matter if they aren't Dynasys and the derailluers are? You may have just made my day, week, month.
    Drink beer. 'Merica!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Why don't you want to use the Deore shifters? I bought my 3x10 Deore M591 pair with cables but no housing for $25. You won't find anything cheaper and they work just fine. I'm using them with XT front and rear. If you are running 9 speed you should be able to find those too.

It is easier to find 3sp fronts than 2x, but they are still readily available.

I just saw the post above. 10sp dynasys and 9sp are NOT compatible. Not just a little non-compatibble, but a lot non-compatible. The cable pull is completely different, as is the spacing. It just won't work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by zacster View Post
    Why don't you want to use the Deore shifters? I bought my 3x10 Deore M591 pair with cables but no housing for $25. You won't find anything cheaper and they work just fine. I'm using them with XT front and rear.

Because I can get a pair of XTR shifters that are pretty much new for twice the price you paid for your Deore shifters. =)
    Drink beer. 'Merica!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    What surprised me when I did my upgrade in January was how cheap you can find individual components and put together a full groupset for less than the whole, if you are willing to compromise on one or two parts. There really isn't much difference between the various levels on some of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacster View Post
    Why don't you want to use the Deore shifters? I bought my 3x10 Deore M591 pair with cables but no housing for $25. You won't find anything cheaper and they work just fine. I'm using them with XT front and rear. If you are running 9 speed you should be able to find those too.

I just saw the post above. 10sp dynasys and 9sp are NOT compatible. Not just a little non-compatibble, but a lot non-compatible. The cable pull is completely different, as is the spacing. It just won't work.
    There are a few reasons to use XTR over Deore shifters. I always use XTRs when the rest of my drive train tends to be XT. They shift smoother and more precisely. Also they can shift several gears (up or down) with one movement.

SL-M970 shifters are nine speed:

http://si.shimano.com/php/download.p...970-A-2777.pdf
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    There are a few reasons to use XTR over Deore shifters. I always use XTRs when the rest of my drive train tends to be XT. They shift smoother and more precisely. Also they can shift several gears (up or down) with one movement.

That's what I am about to buy, 9 speed XTR's. So they will work. Awesome. Thanks everyone. Woohoo. No more thumb shifters.
    Drink beer. 'Merica!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

My 10sp Deore are plenty smooth, and do multiple shifts. Really, the difference between the different levels of gear isn't as much as it used to be. Usually the higher end will be a tad lighter, and the newest tech will be in the high level the first year or two and then trickle down. 10sp Dynasys has been around long enough that even the lowest level of it works really well.

For that matter, some will say that the Ultegra Di2 works better than the Dura Ace since it was trickled down, but improved in the process. And I have Chorus 10sp on my road bike and I couldn't see any reason to go Record.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Good job! Now I can say that Zee is working with 9 speed SRAM Shifter!

Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)-img_1709%5B1%5D.jpgDyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)-img_1711%5B1%5D.jpgDyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)-img_1714%5B1%5D.jpgI successfully paired a Shimano Zee with 9 speed SRAM Shifter. It took a while to adjust the gears, but now it works great. Can't wait to try it on a Trail!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    A quick update. I succeed to get it work without the spacer. Working Great !!!

mtbr member
    For anyone that wants one of the spacers to correct for the cable pull discrepancy between Sram 9 speed shifters and Shimano 10-speed deraileurs, I just received another batch of those previously mentioned in this thread. More info here:

For those that were interested in the 9-10 speed rear derailer adapters | Ridemonkey.com

9-10 speed derailleur adapters: http://tinyurl.com/odnm2fn

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just ordered a spacer big-ted, thanks for providing these. Quick question for anyone. I read through this whole thread last week and can't recall if I read it but...

Any issues with 9 speed chain and the 10 speed RD in terms of clearance? Are the cages the same width?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrkmind View Post
    Just ordered a spacer big-ted, thanks for providing these. Quick question for anyone. I read through this whole thread last week and can't recall if I read it but...

Any issues with 9 speed chain and the 10 speed RD in terms of clearance? Are the cages the same width?
    Are you using a 10 speed cassette out back? If so, you'll have issues with a 9 speed chain for sure. I can't comment on a 9-speed chain with just a 10 speed RD as far as clearance in the cage. Never tried it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    9 speed cassette. I'll be keeping everything 9 speed except for RD (hence the adapter).

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

I just did this tonight! Sram X9 9 speed shifter, Sram PC-991 Chain, Sram PG-980 11/34 cassette, Shimano Zee freeride rear der.

I bought a longer pinch bolt and square nut. filed a groove in the nut for the cable. pretty excited that this worked. thanks to everyone who contributed to figuring this out. Oh and Big-Ted, those spacers are sweet!

mtbr member

Sorry, I really only swing by here from time to time as I tend to lurk on RideMonkey more often. Yep, that setup will work fine. FYI, I run 9 speed Sram chains through 10 speed Shimano derailleurs and no issues whatsoever.
    9-10 speed derailleur adapters: http://tinyurl.com/odnm2fn

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

9 sp. cranks, 22 / 36T rings what front derailleur?

Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    From what I understand the front 10 speed shifter is identical to the 9 speed shifter. The difference is in the geometry of the front derailleur. The 10 speed front derailleur moves slightly less per shift due to the 10 speed crankset using thinner rings with closer spacing. You can interchange the front derailleurs, but they will be very difficult to adjust. A 9 speed front derailleur on a 10 speed crankset will slightly overshift each ring. A 10 speed front derailleur on a 9 speed crankset will slightly undershift each ring. What is interesting is that the right 10 speed shifter body looks totally different than the left. It is huge, and the lever looks totally different than the left.

Hello all, this is my first post here:

The Bottom line: match the derailleur to the crankset. If it is a 9 speed crankset, use a 9 speed front derailleur. If it is a 10 speed crankset use a 10 speed front derailleur.
    I can confirm that the 10sp derailleur does not like the 9sp crank set. (I just thought the 10sp over shifts on the 9sp crank)

I upgraded from a 2008 Giant Trance X to a 2012 Giant Reign frame and (finally) went from 2x9 to 2x10. Since the Reign frame has a high direct mount I needed a new derailleur. So I got a 2013 or 2014 Shimano FD, and it worked like crap. So I got a 3x9 direct mount FD, and shifting is now close to perfect.

The problem I still have is that the cage is too short for the small 22t chain ring. Being a direct mount I cannot mount it any lower, even after filing the hole a bit longer. It will only stay contact free in the first 2 -3 gears on 11-32 cassette. I now saw that SRAM has 2x10 22/36 FDs, BUT that will give me the shifting problems again, right?

Is there any direct mount derailleur out there that will work with my 2008 XT crank with new chain rings? I don't care if Shimano or SRAM, I just want to avoid new cranks.

Is there an adapter available for FDs like Big Ted's for RDs to "convert" from 10 sp to 9 speed?

Thanks, Tony
    Last edited by Chewbacca_1; 04-28-2015 at 09:08 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Old (and really long) thread, but seems to be the most relevant one to my situation so hoping I can find some answers here.

I currently have an all 9-speed drivetrain on my 2013 Trek Mamba: Shimano Alivio Octalink 3x9 crankset (44/32/22), with a 9-speed cassette (11-34) and Alivio 9-speed shifters.

Probably not ready to go to a 1x drivetrain, but considering an "upgrade" to a 2x system. Getting harder (it seems) to find 9-speed 2x cranksets so wondering how possible or troublesome it would be to get a new 10-speed 2x crankset mated to 9-speed cassette, derailleurs and shifters?

I just started trying to do a little bit of my own wrenching, so a lot of this is still intimidating to me so I'm concerned that I'm looking to do an upgrade that's either (a) not really possible; or (b) can work but will be a little wonky on shifting, chain drops, etc.

Any actual experiences trying to do this changeover, or advice in general on whether to try this approach or go another route?

mtbr member
    Just remove the 44T chainring. You can replace it with a bash guard.
    Why change the crankset at all?
    If there is a good reason to replace the crankset, you can use a 10,11 or even 12 speed crankset, no problems mating any crankset to your 9 speed parts.

Avner.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Again, I'm a novice at most of this so take that into consideration. but near as I can tell from looking my current crankset the big ring is permanently attached to the spider arms. I had the same thought as you regarding replacing it with a bash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkGX View Post
    Old (and really long) thread, but seems to be the most relevant one to my situation so hoping I can find some answers here.

I currently have an all 9-speed drivetrain on my 2013 Trek Mamba: Shimano Alivio Octalink 3x9 crankset (44/32/22), with a 9-speed cassette (11-34) and Alivio 9-speed shifters.

Probably not ready to go to a 1x drivetrain, but considering an "upgrade" to a 2x system. Getting harder (it seems) to find 9-speed 2x cranksets so wondering how possible or troublesome it would be to get a new 10-speed 2x crankset mated to 9-speed cassette, derailleurs and shifters?

I just started trying to do a little bit of my own wrenching, so a lot of this is still intimidating to me so I'm concerned that I'm looking to do an upgrade that's either (a) not really possible; or (b) can work but will be a little wonky on shifting, chain drops, etc.

Any actual experiences trying to do this changeover, or advice in general on whether to try this approach or go another route?
    Not actually sure I understand what you are trying to achieve. Do you want to change your chain rings? You can have a 2 ring sytem by simply removing the big ring and replacing it with a bashguard. That is what I did for many years on a 9 speed system. I felt that I never used the big ring on my mountain bike and realy only lost two high ratios on the big ring. If you feel you would like to have a bigger high gear you could simply replace the 32T ring with one with more teeth.

One thing you will need to do is set your front shifter up for two rings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkGX View Post
    Again, I'm a novice at most of this so take that into consideration. but near as I can tell from looking my current crankset the big ring is permanently attached to the spider arms. I had the same thought as you regarding replacing it with a bash.
    I guess I was typing when you guys posted. What model is your crankset? I'm reluctant to believe that Shimano made a crankset that has to be thrown away when the ring wears out. Usually the middle and big rings are on the same bolts.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Bonking ... not feelin' well

As best I can tell, this is probably the stock crankset I have on the bike now: Shimano Alivio M430 Octalink Triple Chainset. The outer ring has a Mega 9 Drive Train label on it, and the middle ring is stamped with "Shimano SG-X".

Doing an online search on this is kind of confusing. I've seen some info that would indicate it's a riveted chainring setup, but others posts where people said they replaced the outer ring with a bash (but don't say what they had to do to accomplish that).

Seems like a lot of confusion what should be a fairly simple task!

mtbr member
    Here is a link to your crankset on Shimano's site:

FC-M430-L

And here is an exploded diagram:

http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdo...9830707834.pdf

You can definitely remove the big ring and replace it with a bashguard. As suspected the middle and big rings are on the same bolts. Both have a BCD (bolt circle diameter) of 104mm. Here is an example of a bashguard that will work with your 32T middle ring:

https://bythehive.com/collections/re...s/turbocharger

mtbr member
    May 2012
    OK... so it does sound like I can remove the big ring and replace it with a bash. If I choose to go the upgrade route, I guess my next question would be whether I'm limited to a 3x9 crankset as a replacement if I keep my 9-speed cassette Or would it be possible to install a 2x10 crankset and have it work sufficiently with my 9-speed shifters, FD and shifter setup?

I mean, I've found a Deore 3x9 crankset (Hollowtech II) that would be at least a slight upgrade performance wise (and maybe shave a little weight, but not much I think). But I'd still be dealing with a triple crankset where I never use the big ring.

mtbr member

10 speed chain comparison

10 speed chain comparison

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Question:
    A Deore M610 10 sp Crankset will be compatible with a 8 speed set (cassette, FD, D, Chain, Shifters)?

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213