Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    Team U.G.L.Y.
    Not correct, the shimano 10 speed rear road derailleurs have a different parallelogram than the pull ratio for 9 speed mtb. You won't hit all your gears, especially in the middle of the range.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the comments on the 10 speed drivetrain vs 9speed. I've decided to save some money and stick with my Deore 9 speed system.
    I have a question about the compatibility of some shifters someone gave me. They are the Shimano Deore LX, ST-M585 Dual Control Levers, for disc brakes. Can I set them up with my old brake pad system?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I need a little advice. I've read this thread and if I'm not mistaken I should be able to run a 10 speed RD, cassette, chain and rear shifter with my 9 speed FD , crankset and shifter.

My question is about gearing, I'm not a strong climber and I want to drop my large ring for a bash.

I currently have a XT M770 44-32-22 front and XT 11-34 cassette.

What rear 10spd cassette and which two front rings would you recommend for a poor climber?

Thank
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ok, here's one. I'm currently running a 1x10 setup with XT dynasys shifters and an XTR rear long cage derailleur. I'm wanting to get a short cage derailleur to help out shifting. Do I need a 9-speed or 10-speed XO rear derailleur, or does it matter? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I need a little advice. I've read this thread and if I'm not mistaken I should be able to run a 10 speed RD, cassette, chain and rear shifter with my 9 speed FD , crankset and shifter.

My question is about gearing, I'm not a strong climber and I want to drop my large ring for a bash.

I currently have a XT M770 44-32-22 front and XT 11-34 cassette.

What rear 10spd cassette and which two front rings would you recommend for a poor climber?

Thank
    The rear cassette question is easy....go with the 11 -36 cassette. Front chain ring selection depends on how often you bail to granny now. I run 11-36 in back and 38X26 in front. Have never felt like I was needing more gearing. I use this primarily on my race bike. That being said I am not the weakest climber out there and I haven't brought that bike to the mountains yet, just raced that combo all summer so haven't really even needed to test the 26 t granny. If you bail now to granny a lot, I would keep the 22T. If you are going with bash in the front then I think a 36T is about as big as you can go. You could stay with the 32 if you want (if you never find yourself going into the 44 now that is reasonable). You can go to blackspire.com and get pretty much any chain ring size you want. I think a 34 T would be a nice compromise for the front, you could start there and just experiment.
    have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Teigansdad View Post
    The rear cassette question is easy....go with the 11 -36 cassette. Front chain ring selection depends on how often you bail to granny now. I run 11-36 in back and 38X26 in front. Have never felt like I was needing more gearing. I use this primarily on my race bike. That being said I am not the weakest climber out there and I haven't brought that bike to the mountains yet, just raced that combo all summer so haven't really even needed to test the 26 t granny. If you bail now to granny a lot, I would keep the 22T. If you are going with bash in the front then I think a 36T is about as big as you can go. You could stay with the 32 if you want (if you never find yourself going into the 44 now that is reasonable). You can go to blackspire.com and get pretty much any chain ring size you want. I think a 34 T would be a nice compromise for the front, you could start there and just experiment.
    have fun!
    Thanks for the input, I do hit the large ring as my trails are rolling so I have a bunch of shallow, long downhills I like to pedal on.

You don't think a 22-34 is too big of a jump?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Most 2x10's run a 3:2 ratio, ie 24/36, 26/39, 28/42. 22-34 obviously is slightly larger than 22/33, but no enough it should make any difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Thanks for the input, I do hit the large ring as my trails are rolling so I have a bunch of shallow, long downhills I like to pedal on.

You don't think a 22-34 is too big of a jump?
    I have run a 36X22 in the front before...works fine mechanically but for sure from a standpoint of feel...it doesn't seem to flow. Where I live I almost never use granny in cases where granny gear was useful the big jump doesn't seem to matter because I used it so rarely.
    I LOVE 38X26 . Have yet to feel like I am missing anything. Actually with the 11-36 in the back have only once gone to granny and that was in a endurance race after my legs started to cramp 4.5 hrs into it. If you are not a strong climber I am not sure I would go with a 26T as your bailout (if you are using granny a bunch now) but you would probably do just fine with a 24T granny and this would flow better. If you are not using granny much go with a 26T as granny with the 11-36 in back. I would not go smaller than 36T in front. I really like 38T as my outer ring. You would have to abandon the bash guard idea if you do this and go with the single speed chain ring bolts. You can get those on blackspire as well.

mtbr member
    I would not go smaller than 36T in front. I really like 38T as my outer ring. You would have to abandon the bash guard idea if you do this and go with the single speed chain ring bolts. You can get those on blackspire as well.[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure the largest you can go with bash guard is 36T.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Will a SRAM XO twist front derailleur shifter work with the new 10 speed front derailleurs from SRAM and Shimano? I was wanting to use some larger rings such as a 24/36 or maybe a 26/38 on my XTR 970 9 speed crank and the new 10 speed derailleurs seem to be designed for these ring combinations.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi, I just messed up my 9 speed chain on a 9 speed group, i was thinking of replacing it with a 10 speed chain, will it work? o_O

Mountain Cycle Member
    Wrong tread....
    shoot me again, I ain't dead yet

I do not have mountainbikes, I have Mountain Cycles

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    4. Nine speed front derailleurs can be used with 10 speed front shifters, but do not work optimally if used with a 10 speed crankset. Nine speed front derailleurs and cranksets can be used with 10 speed chains and front shifters. A nine speed shifter can be used to shift a 10 speed dyna sys front derailleur.
    I'm not sure about the bold part. I recently replaced my old 3spd crank with a 2x10 X9 crank. I've kept the rest 9spd: Deore FD and shifters, XT RD and a KMC X9.93 chain. The shifts up front are way better than wth the old Deore tripple. I guess the chainrings are more important than the FD itself?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ok, I've read this entire thread and now kinda numb...

This is what I am working with:

Sram X9 10spd RD & shifter, 10spd cassette outback

XT 3x9spd crank & rings with X9 9spd FD

Can I use the Sram 10spd FD shifter or do I have use a 9spd?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Any info???

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Shimano and Sram front shifters and derailleurs are compatible. You can use a 9 speed FD on a 10 speed setup and vice versa, but performance will diminish slightly as the inner width of the derailleur cage is designed for the chain's width, which varies slightly for 9 and 10 speed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thnx

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm going to purchase a Specialized Epic FSR 2010 Frame that comes with a 9 speed front derailleur and I'm looking to replace it with a 10 speed one. Is Shimano XT Front Mech E-Type 10sp (found on CRC) the right one ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the useful information on this thread. I thought I'd add my experience.

I built up a 2002 Jekyll with a new 3x10 XT groupset this summer. The groupset came with a top swing front derailleur, which didn't fit my frame, so I ran it with the Deore 9 speed front mech that was already on the frame for a while. It worked, but shifting at the front wasn't great, especially when it got muddy.

I've just been for my first ride after fitting a 2012 XT front mech, and shifting is better although it's still a bit reluctant to shift down into the granny sometimes. It wasn't as muddy today as it was when the 9 speed front mech was performing at it's worst, so I can't say what difference the 10 speed one will make in bad conditions yet.

When I was swapping them I compared them, and the plates on the 9 speed one are definitely taller than on the 10 speed one. The recess in the inner plate (the one that's level with the middle chainring) is smaller too. It looks like the 10 speed one is designed for the close ratio chainrings that are part of the 10sp groupset - in fact according to the specs it isn't designed to work with any wider range than the 24/32/42 that the 10sp chainrings have.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hi all. First post. I'll be clear. I want to run a 1 x 10 setup with 11-36 rear cassette and 32 single front chain ring. I will be buying all from scratch. I want to run a short cage rear derailleur and notice Shimano only do a medium or long cage. SRAM do a short one. So can I make this work wtih XTR shifters and a SRAM X9 rear short cage derailleur? If so what SPD bits do I need to buy in what make? Will it work?

Or do Shimano do a short cage rear derailleur in XT/XTR?

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by coursemyhorse View Post
    Hi all. First post. I'll be clear. I want to run a 1 x 10 setup with 11-36 rear cassette and 32 single front chain ring. I will be buying all from scratch. I want to run a short cage rear derailleur and notice Shimano only do a medium or long cage. SRAM do a short one. So can I make this work wtih XTR shifters and a SRAM X9 rear short cage derailleur? If so what SPD bits do I need to buy in what make? Will it work?

The Shimano shifter will not work with the Sram rear derailleur- Shimano makes only an SG (mid) and SGS (long) cage version of the 980 rear derailleur- Good news is the SG or mid cage works well for a 1X10 set up- been running one for about a year now-

Good luck
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Interested to hear the answer on this one.

I ended up going 1x10, all X9, mid-cage. RD appears pretty stretched out 32t w/11-36.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    So can I make this work wtih XTR shifters and a SRAM X9 rear short cage derailleur?
    The Shimano 10 speed shifter should work provided you pair it with a 9 speed SRAM rear derailleur - but not 10 speed.

i wouldn't worry too much about cage length; the weight difference is negligible. It'd be easier just to use the medium cage Shimano mech & shifters (if you don't like SRAM shifters for some reason), or else just use SRAM for both. No reason to make things complicated for no reason...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    The Shimano 10 speed shifter should work provided you pair it with a 9 speed SRAM rear derailleur - but not 10 speed.

i wouldn't worry too much about cage length; the weight difference is negligible. It'd be easier just to use the medium cage Shimano mech & shifters (if you don't like SRAM shifters for some reason), or else just use SRAM for both. No reason to make things complicated for no reason...
    Hi there, reason I want to use XTR shifters is because I didn't think SRAM do anything in the same league for what I want? I basically want multi release and instant release and want the upshifting to be doable with index finger pull, rather than all thumbs which I thought SRAM were?

Also not so much weight difference, was more than I thought a shorter cage aided the ability to run a tighter length chain (shorter chain) which helpded minimize chain slap. Also looks neater and gives more ground clearance so looks a more simple system to run.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore View Post
    The Shimano shifter will not work with the Sram rear derailleur- Shimano makes only an SG (mid) and SGS (long) cage version of the 980 rear derailleur- Good news is the SG or mid cage works well for a 1X10 set up- been running one for about a year now-

Good luck
    Thanks for this but as above and earlier in the thread, some people state mixing with 9spd SRAM works hence why I asked for confirmation. Yeah, my mate has been running med cage Shimano with his 1x10 and XTR shifter for a while and loves it.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast