• 01-16-2013
    Coopie
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thanks guy. Thought rear der were consider "dumb" components, but. With the bigger range of a 10spd drivetrain guess it would take more cable. Looks like I'm saving for a while longer. LolAttachment 753572
  • 01-16-2013
    cobym2
    X0 9 speed Rear Derailleur + XT dynasis shifter, cogset and chain = Working drivetrain!

• 01-18-2013
    zuzu27
    Here's the gear that I recently installed on my 2008 Kona 2-9:
    -2013 Shimano SLX M670 Shifters
    -2013 Shimano XT Shadow Plus RD-M786 rear derailleur (medium cage)
    -Shimano XT FD-M780 (2x10) front derailleur
    -Shimano SLX 10-speed cogset 11-36
    -Shimano SLX HG74 10 Speed MTB Chain
    -Truvativ AKA 24/36 2.1 GXP 9-speed crankset w/ bashring

Everything operates great...shifting is sweet, but....
    Here's my problem...when in the 36 chainring in front and the 36 cog in back...I'm getting a very extreme chain angle and some chain rub while under power...it doesn't sound or look good. My understanding is that the Truvativ AKA 2.1 crankset has a 51mm chainline. Judging from looking at the chainline from the rear of the bike, it definitely looks like the crankset needs to move inboard the equivalent width of a one cog jump.

....so I'm now considering replacing the Truvativ AKA with the Truvativ X9 GXP 2x10 crank. It's nearly identical to the AKA crank. From what I could find online, it looks like the Truvativ X9 2x10 crank has a 49.5mm chainline.

Do you think this is the right solution to the problem? Will a 1.5mm chainline difference do the trick?
    For reference I noticed the 2013 Shimano SLX & XT 2x10 crank has a chainline of 48.8mm.
    So we're talking about a difference of 0.7mm between the Truvativ X9 crank and the Shimano SLX/XT, and a difference of 2.2mm between my existing Truvativ AKA and Shimano SLX/XT.

Has anyone else tried a similar setup?
    I know Specialized has a few new 2013 models...Stumpjumper and Carve....that use SLX shifters w/ XT rear derailleur, but they're using a SRAM cogset, KMC chain, and a "custom" SRAM crank....the crank looks to be based on SRAM/Truvativ's X7 2x10 crankset...therefore it's chainline is most likely 49.5mm.

My only reason for not jumping on an XT or SLX Shimano crankset is simply aesthetics...I just like the looks of the Truvativ crank w/ bashguard.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    JP
  • 01-18-2013
    J. Random Psycho
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zuzu27 View Post
    Here's my problem...when in the 36 chainring in front and the 36 cog in back...I'm getting a very extreme chain angle and some chain rub while under power...it doesn't sound or look good.

This is not good indeed, but is expected, normal behavior from all modern 2-derailer, full-cassette drivetrains. They are not supposed to be operated for extended periods with such chain angles. Some FD cage rub is allowable in such extreme gear combinations.

On a GXP crankset you can move chainline inboard a little, e. g. by putting an extra 2.5 mm spacer under the NDS BB cup. There's some excess spindle length which allows for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zuzu27 View Post
    Here's the gear that I recently installed on my 2008 Kona 2-9:
    -2013 Shimano SLX M670 Shifters
    -2013 Shimano XT Shadow Plus RD-M786 rear derailleur (medium cage)
    -Shimano XT FD-M780 (2x10) front derailleur
    -Shimano SLX 10-speed cogset 11-36
    -Shimano SLX HG74 10 Speed MTB Chain
    -Truvativ AKA 24/36 2.1 GXP 9-speed crankset w/ bashring

I'd choose some of these parts the other way around: XT shifters, but both SLX derailers.
  • 02-06-2013
    Axe
    Apologies if I am missing the definitive information in this thread: is cable pull different for Shimano 10sp and 9sp front derailleur.

I thought about experimenting with a 10sp front XT shifter I have unused after switching one bike to 1x10, with 9sp SLX-667 derailleur and double crank (that I have troubles adjusting perfectly due to frame clearances). If it is different - will it move more, or less? Since I would need it for two rings only - moving slightly will help me, slightly less, would not.
  • 02-06-2013
    Aresab
    The pull is the same. The only thing I'm not 100%sure of is whether you need to set the 2x/3x mode to 2x or not. I'd think you need it to 3X which is like you older 9-speed shifter. I'd try that first, if it does not shift right, try the 2x mode. The 2X is set and holds the shifter in the middle and big ring bypassing the granny.
  • 02-10-2013
    mvi
    So dyna sys 10 cassette minus the 11t should work with SRAM 9 gripshifters + dyna sys+ 10 rear derrailleur?
  • 03-06-2013
    Woodsy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevoo View Post
    Someone wanted pictures. Here is the spacer needed to allow Shimano 10-speed rear derailleur to play nice with SRAM 9-speed trigger shifter.
    Not sure how to post an image so here is a link to them if you want to see.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Goosela...uH1KG5tuykhAE#[/

Hi, incredible work here Stevoo! Was it the outboard displacement of the anchor (along with cable-exit angle) that made the difference? Ie, the anchor point being laterally further from the wheel? Or is some fore/aft displacement helpful too? Thanks for this beautiful craftsmanship!! :thumbsup:
  • 03-07-2013
    dudukovic
    Does anyone tried 10speed road chain on mtb drivetrain. I want to put a shimano 105 5701 road chain on 2x10 mtb drive train.
    Shimano says that can not be mixed road and mountain bike components!
  • 03-11-2013
    Woodsy
    Potahal, have you tried this yet? I'm going to give it a try this week or next - wondering if you/anyone has more advice to add about cable clamping adjustments, angles, fore-aft offset? (I tried contacting Stevoo for more details but he must be spending all his time riding!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by potahal View Post
    This looks great, I too want to use a new clutch derailleur but don't want to go down the whole 10 speed route, and have a 9-speed Sram shifter lying around. Could you please post the thickness of the spacer you have machined.
    Thanks,
    Pete

• 03-12-2013
    mojak
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cobym2 View Post
    X0 9 speed Rear Derailleur + XT dynasis shifter, cogset and chain = Working drivetrain!

hi, do you have to change any screws on the 9spd XO rear d to make it work with the XT 10spd dynasis system?
  • 04-07-2013
    cyberavner
    2 Attachment(s)
    New hack
    Got the following combination to work:

9 speed cassette
    10 speed Shadow+ SLX RD
    10 speed SLX shifter

Worked on the stand with both 9 speed and 10 speed chains. Rode it around the yard but haven't gone on a series ride yet.

To make it work all I had do was to attach the cable to the RD a little differently:

Attachment 788257

Attachment 788256

Avner.
  • 04-07-2013
    J. Random Psycho
    Very interesting, please post ride reports.. do you find shifting worse or the same as the typical full 10-speed Shimano setup?
  • 04-23-2013
    Woodsy
    Nice work cyberavner! Very interested in post-ride reports too!
  • 04-23-2013
    GTscoob
    Nice find Cyberavner! Sounds like some of the old tricks still work with using different cable routing to provide different indexing.

Derailer Adjustment - scroll to the bottom for alternate cable routing.
  • 04-24-2013
    cyberavner
    Sorry for the long delay.
    After a few rides I can say that the mod is working.
    The shifting is not quite as good as stock, but I believe that it is caused by my custom 11-42 cassette and the extreme B tension screw adjustment it requires.
    This cassette is much harder to get to shift right than a stock one because of the large diameter 42 tooth cog and the big tooth count difference between adjacent cogs.

Avner.
  • 05-07-2013
    toot334455
    so Can I do a x.7 10 spd rear deraliuer with a xtr 10 spd shifter?
  • 05-13-2013
    Panzaz
    Ok So I had a 9 speed XTR Drivetrain with a Deore Sp Crankset, Can I Change use a 10 sp Front Derrailleur with a 9sp Chain?
  • 05-22-2013
    deematic
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevoo View Post
    Yes, SRAM 9-speed shifter is now mated to a Shimano 10-speed rear Deraileur with my adapter block. You can use any level of 10-speed Shimano rear deraileur you would like. I use the XTR Shadow Plus. Folks had posted that no modification was needed with this mix n match but I found that it was close but no cigar so I developed a solution.

I also hate shifting issues. Went to the Shimano rear dearaileur just for that reason.

It has been rock solid since original installation. I have yet to adjust it and it is even on a tandem.

Happy trails.

Steve

Do you have a pic of said block?

I'm currently running sram 9sp xo grippers and want to upgrade to the shimano clutch rear.

thx
  • 05-22-2013
    Stevoo
    Yes, I posted a picture on I think page 16 of the Thread: Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems dated 4-2-12.
  • 05-23-2013
    thegoodword
    Slightly Off Topic
    In the end my 9 + 10 speed shifter/derailure/cassette mix and match did not work as smoothly as I wanted. While I assume most folks are trying to get it all to work together to save $, my goal was to get a 36 tooth rear cog on my heavy 9 speed full suspension bike (Niner W.F.O.) and start replacing worn out components on my hard tail. I found a heavy Shimano HG61 12-36 9 speed cassette. The extra easy 22/36 granny gear is exactly what I wanted and I did not have to change any of the 9 speed components. That cassette is heavy but the weight was not noticeable when climbing. As for my 26 hard tail, I just opted to ditch the nine speed altogether and bite the bullet for a new 10 speed XT drivetrain. Both of those options provided far smoother shifting than the combination of 9 and 10 speed components that I attempted to run.
  • 06-27-2013
    miggy
    if I change my rear mech, cassette, chain, and rear shifter from 9 speed XT to 10 speed XT

will I run into problems?
  • 06-27-2013
    J. Random Psycho
    For the record, recently I managed to get the following combination of parts to kind of work: FC-M780, FD-M412 (!!) and a SRAM X.9 10-speed front trigger, with a 10-speed Wippermann chain.

I had to use big pliers to squeeze (cold set), in several attempts, FD cage so that it's able to work with narrower chain than it's supposed to. The outside facing part of the cage yielded. Shifting is so far so good.

And the story began with an attempt to mate a 445 mm chainstay 29er (typical value) with a triple crankset. Turned out there was no tire clearance against SRAM X.7 9-speed FD I was initially given to install on that bike (whole bike is a bunch of poorly matching parts collected in a failed attempt at color co-ordination). The FD-M412 that I hastily snatched at an LBS saved the day. FD-M780 is on order and I wonder whether is will give the necessary tire clearance.

This case led me to thinking that 29ers may be the true reason behind the quick advent of 2x10 drivetrains.
  • 06-28-2013
    satanas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by miggy View Post
    if I change my rear mech, cassette, chain, and rear shifter from 9 speed XT to 10 speed XT

will I run into problems?

My guess would be no, and I'd expect things to be okay, but sadly the only way to be sure is to try. FWIW, I'd be prepared to do this myself and would expect it to work. If you are patient enough to read through all the older posts I suspect other people have done this successfully.

Good luck with it!
  • 07-01-2013
    NazZaR
    Hello, mates!
    Recently, i decided to go to 3x10-speed setup instead of 3x9.

I have a 9-speed Shimano XT FC-M770 44-32-22 crankset. The question is - can i convert it to 10-speed just by changing the chainrings? I already have purchased 42t chainring from 10-speed crankset. Do i need to buy 32t chainring from 10-speed crankset, or it is the same as 32t on 9-speed version? Is the distance between chainrings same on 9 and 10-speed crank spider?

Thank you guys!
  • 07-03-2013
    NazZaR
    Any suggestions? :)
  • 07-03-2013
    ewarnerusa
    I have upgraded the crankset on my alpha bike from Shimano OEM 10 speed triple (dyna-sys) to Shimano XT 10 speed triple. I want to install the old Shimano OEM 10 speed crankset on my backup bike which is currently setup 1x9 with SRAM chain/cassette/shifter/rear derailleur. I plan on just using the middle ring (removing big and granny) on the Shimano OEM crankset so it will still be a 1x9 drivetrain, but using a 10-speed 32T front ring (and cranks). Seems to me like it would be no problem. Any input or anyone think it wouldn't be?

In other words, do 9-speed SRAM chains work fine on 10-speed Shimano chainrings?

Thanks.
  • 07-13-2013
    blingman
    hi the 3x9 and 3x10 have the same offset chainrings but the 2x10 has a different chainline and chainring offset. the 10 speed chain will work perfectly on the 32t 9 speed ring and the 22t but if u change to a 24t u will need a 3x not a 2x version
  • 07-13-2013
    Axe
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blingman View Post
    hi the 3x9 and 3x10 have the same offset chainrings but the 2x10 has a different chainline and chainring offset. the 10 speed chain will work perfectly on the 32t 9 speed ring and the 22t but if u change to a 24t u will need a 3x not a 2x version

You do not really need that. Works well enough. Some combinations of 9sp/10sp chains, rings and offsets in front are just a bit more difficult to tune shifting wise.
  • 07-15-2013
    aBicycle
    So, can I use an XT HG 94 10 speed chain with a 10 speed 105 and ultegra road drive train?
  • 07-18-2013
    da peach
    Anyone wanting to use their 9 sp shifter with a new 10sp clutch derailleur, have a look at this!

For those that were interested in the 9-10 speed rear derailer adapters

I've seen the results, and they are good.
  • 07-20-2013
    c-dale99
    Just wanted to contribute to this thread. I didn't want to convert to 10 speed but I needed the xt plus rear derailleur. So I run 9 speed rear with 9 spd cassette, sram shifter, and cranks. I have the 10 speed chain and rear derailleur (with adapter). Everything works perfectly.
  • 07-26-2013
    Miker J
    I want to watch.
  • 07-27-2013
    Miker J
    Is there a difference between spider spacing distance between 9 speed and 10 speed cranks?

I've reveiwed a lot of posts, probably not all, and seems the consensus is it works fine.

I still have some great 9 speed cranks and BBs that I want to continue to use. The setup would be basicaly a 9 speed front (XTR shifter, XT front derailure, crank), and 10 speed rear (XTR rear shifter, XT rear derailure, cassette, chain).

As an aside, the cranks are Middleburns (RS 7 or 8) with a compact drive spider. Believe it or not, I'm using the same Crank Bros ISIS BB for several years. Years back I picked up a few more of those BBs for pennies as backups, even though now the original BB wont die.

Thanks.
  • 07-27-2013
    blingman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Is there a difference between spider spacing distance between 9 speed and 10 speed cranks?

I've reveiwed a lot of posts, probably not all, and seems the consensus is it works fine.

I still have some great 9 speed cranks and BBs that I want to continue to use. The setup would be basicaly a 9 speed front (XTR shifter, XT front derailure, crank), and 10 speed rear (XTR rear shifter, XT rear derailure, cassette, chain).

As an aside, the cranks are Middleburns (RS 7 or 8) with a compact drive spider. Believe it or not, I'm using the same Crank Bros ISIS BB for several years. Years back I picked up a few more of those BBs for pennies as backups, even though now the original BB wont die.

Thanks.

Hi,
    I can say the XT 770 crankset have the same arms for 9 or 10 speed just different ring sizes.
    But doing what u have said u will be fine, all 9 speed at the front 10 speed rear works good
  • 08-01-2013
    big-ted
    Quote:

Originally Posted by da peach View Post
    Anyone wanting to use their 9 sp shifter with a new 10sp clutch derailleur, have a look at this!

For those that were interested in the 9-10 speed rear derailer adapters

I've seen the results, and they are good.

Hi all. These are my spacers that I designed and had a friend machine up for me. Sorry, but I don't get on mtbr too much these days. If anyone wants one feel free to give me a shout: rob(dot)stead(at)gmail(dot)com.
  • 08-29-2013
    pdxmark
    Quote:

4. Nine speed front derailleurs can be used with 10 speed front shifters, but do not work optimally if used with a 10 speed crankset. Nine speed front derailleurs and cranksets can be used with 10 speed chains and front shifters. A nine speed shifter can be used to shift a 10 speed dyna sys front derailleur.
    So would I be able to use XT RD-M786 Shadow+ 10spd derailleur, Sham HG-62 cassette and KMC X10.93 chain with my Deore FC-M590 9spd crankset and Deore FD-M590 derailleur, or would I have to get a different front derailleur?

This would save me over $300 is true!

Edit: The KMC X10.93(10spd chain) is 5.88mm in width, were the X9.93(9spd chain) is 6.6mm in width, while the Shimano SLX CN-HG75(10spd) is 6.1mm in width. Will the difference of 0.72mm-to-0.22mm make a difference in the way the a triple ring capable, 9spd front derailleur will handle a 10spd HG compatible chain on a 9spd, triple ring crankset?
  • 08-30-2013
    blingman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    So would I be able to use XT RD-M786 Shadow+ 10spd derailleur, Sham HG-62 cassette and KMC X10.93 chain with my Deore FC-M590 9spd crankset and Deore FD-M590 derailleur, or would I have to get a different front derailleur?

This would save me over $300 is true!

Edit: The KMC X10.93(10spd chain) is 5.88mm in width, were the X9.93(9spd chain) is 6.6mm in width, while the Shimano SLX CN-HG75(10spd) is 6.1mm in width. Will the difference of 0.72mm-to-0.22mm make a difference in the way the a triple ring capable, 9spd front derailleur will handle a 10spd HG compatible chain on a 9spd, triple ring crankset?

hey,
    the 9 speed front works fine with a 10 speed chain with xt i had this on my bike until i changed to 2x10
  • 08-30-2013
    pdxmark
    Quote:

hey,
    the 9 speed front works fine with a 10 speed chain with xt...

Thanks for the replay!

I'm not sure what you mean in the last part of your sentence, "with xt", do I need to get a 3x10 xt front derailleur to use with the 9spd crankset?
  • 08-30-2013
    blingman
    Quote:

Thanks for the replay!

I'm not sure what you mean in the last part of your sentence, "with xt", do I need to get a 3x10 xt front derailleur to use with the 9spd crankset?

Hey sorry I meant to say the ramping on XT chainrings pick up the 10 speed chain and change very smooth, I don't know if the cheaper crankset will change as smooth but it will work
  • 08-30-2013
    pdxmark
    Quote:

Hey sorry I meant to say the ramping on XT chainrings pick up the 10 speed chain and change very smooth, I don't know if the cheaper crankset will change as smooth but it will work

I have the Deore M590 crankset(9spd Deore 48/36/28, no XT ramping) and FD-M590(3x9) and FS-m590(3spd Left shifter). The Fs-m590(3spd shifter[own it]) will work with the FD-M620(3x10~$22) mounted over the CR-m610(3x10spd 48/36/28). The rear end with right shifter M780 will have dyna-sys shifting, and the front gears and shifter wont. So I guess $130ish on my next check, in two weeks. I don't know how to feel about that!

This wouldn't be an issue had I not found the XT M786 Shadow+ 10spd for $78 in silver. That's much better than $110.

Edit: Well, just found an SLX M670 front package(crankset, front derailluer, 3spd shifter for $198. I know how to feel now and I think that solves this issue I'm having! Just need one more piece, XT m780 rear shifter.
  • 08-30-2013
    blingman
    Quote:

I have the Deore M590 crankset(9spd Deore 48/36/28, no XT ramping) and FD-M590(3x9) and FS-m590(3spd Left shifter). The Fs-m590(3spd shifter[own it]) will work with the FD-M620(3x10~$22) mounted over the CR-m610(3x10spd 48/36/28). The rear end with right shifter M780 will have dyna-sys shifting, and the front gears and shifter wont. So I guess $130ish on my next check, in two weeks. I don't know how to feel about that!

This wouldn't be an issue had I not found the XT M786 Shadow+ 10spd for $78 in silver. That's much better than $110.

Edit: Well, just found an SLX M670 front package(crankset, front derailluer, 3spd shifter for $198. I know how to feel now and I think that solves this issue I'm having! Just need one more piece, XT m780 rear shifter.

hey, u could go for the SLX rear shifter they work just as good as XT.
    those rd-786+ cost me alot of money also, they maybe cheap to buy but cost alot in other bits chain cassette shifter then f... it may as well do the cranks front D and shifter LOL
    Good luck it sounds like u are going in the right direction.
  • 08-31-2013
    pdxmark
    Quote:

hey, u could go for the SLX rear shifter they work just as good as XT.
    those rd-786+ cost me alot of money also, they maybe cheap to buy but cost alot in other bits chain cassette shifter then f... it may as well do the cranks front D and shifter LOL
    Good luck it sounds like u are going in the right direction.

Thanks for the info on the SLX shifters.

I'm going to be a little OCD and match the rear models together; so, XT backend, other than cassette which will be Slx HG81 13/34(bought for $62). The front will be Slx entirely. Wish I didn't have to go this route, but it seem the less costly answer. If I can find the SLX shifters on the cheap, I may just buy a pair.

Thanks again!
  • 08-31-2013
    blingman
    Quote:

Thanks for the info on the SLX shifters.

I'm going to be a little OCD and match the rear models together; so, XT backend, other than cassette which will be Slx HG81 13/34(bought for $62). The front will be Slx entirely. Wish I didn't have to go this route, but it seem the less costly answer. If I can find the SLX shifters on the cheap, I may just buy a pair.
    Thanks again!

just change the rear, leave the front and see how it goes i bet works just fine.
  • 09-04-2013
    deematic
    subs
  • 09-10-2013
    GRAVELBIKE
    Apologies if this has been covered, but searching for "road" and "STI" didn't yield much info.

I want to run drop bars with integrated ROAD levers (e.g. Tiagra, 105, etc). Gearing would be:
    • Sugino 26/40 MTB crankset (2x10)
    • SRAM 12-36 cassette (10s)

If I went with Shimano 10s road levers, I could use a 9s Shimano MTB rear derailleur, but it's unclear if the road levers/shifters would even work with a 2x10-compatible (MTB) derailleur.

Thoughts?
  • 09-10-2013
    pdxmark
    ^^^I would like to do something similar; I was thinking of just going 3x8, but I really want the XT Shadow+(just got it in 10spd for $70). So I was thinking that one could get a 9spd XT rear derailleur and adjust the low stroke screw to keep the derailleur from having 9 gears, but someone mentioned that the spacing on the 9spd cassette is not the same as an 8 speed cassette, so when shifting the 9spd derailleur over a 8spd cassette, there will be shifting issues because the 9spd RD will have a shorter stroke than the 8spd RD. Though I found that I can't because the 9spd chain is to skinny for the spacing of the 8spd cassette, and the 9spd XT shadow+ will not fit a chain over 6.8mm, were an 8spd cassette uses a 7.1mm to 7.3mm chain.

I just wanted an 8spd Shadow+ because I find that 7.1mm-7.3mm chains are stronger than 6.3mm-5.1mm chains and I really don't need 30 gears!
  • 09-10-2013
    satanas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MileHighMark View Post
    I want to run drop bars with integrated ROAD levers (e.g. Tiagra, 105, etc). Gearing would be:
    • Sugino 26/40 MTB crankset (2x10)
    • SRAM 12-36 cassette (10s)

If I went with Shimano 10s road levers, I could use a 9s Shimano MTB rear derailleur, but it's unclear if the road levers/shifters would even work with a 2x10-compatible (MTB) derailleur.

Shimano road levers pull less cable for the front mech than their MTB levers do. This matters with triples, but you may have enough slack in the system for it to work with a double. Another option is to use this: Jtek ShiftMate Straight, or you could just use a Shimano CX-50 or CX-70 FD (or any other suitable road FD) which should work fine as long as it clears the chainstay. The CX mechs are available in top pull though, which may help.

As I understand it, the SRAM levers will work with MTB FDs, i.e., see the Salsa Fargo spec here: Salsa Cycles | Bikes | Fargo 2 Using SRAM also allows the use of a clutch type RD if that matters to you.

If you're going to use the Sugino ZX801D crankset any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated - I've been looking at this online since before there was ever a source and have still never seen one!
  • 09-10-2013
    satanas
    Quote:

^^^I would like to do something similar; I was thinking of just going 3x8, but I really want the XT Shadow+ [snip]

If I can make any sense of what you've written, what you want to do is use triple chainwheels with an 8 speed cassette, but use a clutch type RD. If I understand it correctly, the Shimano DynaSys RDs use the same cable travel as the SRAM 8/9 speed RDs and shifters. That is, if you use a DynaSys RD with a SRAM 8 (or 9) speed shifter and a cassette with matching spacing, all should be well. Note however that I'm going on accounts in this thread and elsewhere, not on personal experience. See this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-sh...er-866457.html
  • 09-10-2013
    GRAVELBIKE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Shimano road levers pull less cable for the front mech than their MTB levers do. This matters with triples, but you may have enough slack in the system for it to work with a double. Another option is to use this: Jtek ShiftMate Straight, or you could just use a Shimano CX-50 or CX-70 FD (or any other suitable road FD) which should work fine as long as it clears the chainstay. The CX mechs are available in top pull though, which may help.

As I understand it, the SRAM levers will work with MTB FDs, i.e., see the Salsa Fargo spec here: Salsa Cycles | Bikes | Fargo 2 Using SRAM also allows the use of a clutch type RD if that matters to you.

If you're going to use the Sugino ZX801D crankset any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated - I've been looking at this online since before there was ever a source and have still never seen one!

I expect the ZX801D to work quite well. I logged many miles on their OX601D road cranks, and the ZX801D's chainrings have even more machining and profiling (which should result in even better shifting). One thing's for sure--the fit/finish on the ZX801Ds is damn fine.

I'm tempted to go with SRAM shifters/derailleurs for this build. Salsa's Fargo 2 setup gives me some confidence of decent shifting. I'll see if I can't get some better info next week at Interbike.