Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi guys,

Read about 10 pages of this thread but couldn't find my answer.

currently my setup is:
    - 970 cranks - 22-32-42
    - XT 770 FD
    - LX front shifter

I want to change the shifter.
    In the future I may change to 2x10, keeping the same cranks and front derailleur.

What shifter should I buy?
    - 9 speed XT 770 shifter - 3x - and after migration to 2x10 will lock it from the FD screws?
    or
    - newer XT 780 2/3 x 10 shifters.
    Will the 780 3x mode be compatible with my current setup?
    Will the 780 2x mode be compatible with the (ghetto) 2x10 on the 970 cranks? I heard that the 2/3x switch on this shifter will oblige you to use the 2x ring in the middle and on the outside (not on the inside/granny and middle)

thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Does anyone know if EITHER the Shimano 10spd MTB FD or 9spd MTB FD will work with road (e.g. Dura Ace) shifters?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ None of the MTB front derailleurs will work properly with any road STI levers as they require more cable travel than the levers have. If you're talking about bar end or downtube levers then there's no problem, since these are not indexed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

yes

yes

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

yes

(im trying to make the dang required initiation number of replies so I can post an important question about a crank arm...sorry)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

sorry

(im trying to make the dang required initiation number of replies so I can post an important question about a crank arm...sorry)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    sorry

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

so sorry

so sorry (im trying to make the dang required initiation number of replies so I can post an important question about a crank arm...sorry)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

so so sorry

so so so sorry. (im trying to make the dang required initiation number of replies so I can post an important question about a crank arm...sorry)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

so so so so sorry

so so so so (im trying to make the dang required initiation number of replies so I can post an important question about a crank arm...sorry)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    so so so so so sorry(im trying to make the dang required initiation number of replies so I can post an important question about a crank arm...sorry)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

so so so so so sorry

so so so so so sorry (im trying to make the dang required initiation number of replies so I can post an important question about a crank arm...sorry)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Throughout the course of the day, I've read this whole discussion, but my scenario isn't here, so I'll throw it in the ring:
    I'd like to run a complete 10 speed setup using sram components while retaining only my shimano xt cranks, setup 22/36/bash.

My thought is that I've been limiting my 3 speed down to 2 for years, and now there's actually a front shifter designed for that, it should do the job much better, maybe with less effort.

So are there complications using a 10 speed shifter/FD on a 9 speed crank? I'd be ok changing to a 9 speed FD, but I'll be honest, I was hoping to avoid mismatched shifters on my bars. What are the differences in cable pull for the FD from 9 to 10? I'm sure there are some suggestions I haven't considered or wasn't aware of, so thanks in advance for everyones help.

Chilling out
    The front d cable pull hasn't changed.

I have 2012 xt dynasys shifters, my front d is an SRAM x.0 2x for 24x36.

Since I know SRAM has not changed their cable pulls, in know Shimano hasn't either.

Sent from my brain using neurons fueled by glucose

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I just installed my 1-10 set up with 38 tooth up front my question is should the front ring be on the outside or the middle, or if it can?

Chilling out
    Whichever gives you a more centered chain line to the rear cogs I would think.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

M980 2x10 chain ring help! need better granny!

hi all,

i have a new setup with:
    m980 xtr 2x10 26/38 and 11-36 xt cassete rear and xt m780 direct mount FD

i have weak legs and dying on steady long steep climbs with this current setup.

Would the m980 xtr 3x10 24t be a direct swap?

is there anyone i can put on a 22/34 combo? if so, can anyone point the way?

Chilling out
    You'll likely need a different front-d to go with the triple.

Check the shifter / manual - it is possibly switchable to 3x mode if you want to, but will work as is if you are only using 2x on the new cranks.

aka: SpeedyChix
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesaint7 View Post
    hi all,

i have a new setup with:
    m980 xtr 2x10 26/38 and 11-36 xt cassete rear and xt m780 direct mount FD

i have weak legs and dying on steady long steep climbs with this current setup.

Would the m980 xtr 3x10 24t be a direct swap?

is there anyone i can put on a 22/34 combo? if so, can anyone point the way?
    Are you running the XT shifters? If so, the front works with both 2 and 3 via scores (turn).
    Smallest front Shimano crank ring is a 24 (as they added the teeth on the cassette).
    Race joe Drakes Coffee
    Race rigs by Kent Eriksen

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    You'll likely need a different front-d to go with the triple.

Check the shifter / manual - it is possibly switchable to 3x mode if you want to, but will work as is if you are only using 2x on the new cranks.

I apologize for not being clear, I meant if I am able to simply buy the 24t inner chainring from the triple version and replace my 26t inner from the double?

Since shimano said something about AE version (triple) and AH version (double)

mtbr member
    My parts & situation are slightly different, but might be helpful. I'm running 10sp dynasys on a 9sp M770 (XT) crank, I've used both 9 & 10sp small rings in sizes 22, 24, 26. All worked flawlessly matched with a 9sp 36T shimano ring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    My parts & situation are slightly different, but might be helpful. I'm running 10sp dynasys on a 9sp M770 (XT) crank, I've used both 9 & 10sp small rings in sizes 22, 24, 26. All worked flawlessly matched with a 9sp 36T shimano ring.
    Thanks! that's helpful. i'm looking at 9spd rings, and there are AA and AB types, what does those mean and are they relevant?

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesaint7 View Post
    I apologize for not being clear, I meant if I am able to simply buy the 24t inner chainring from the triple version and replace my 26t inner from the double?
    I believe the BCD is the same, so I'd think it would work - but verify that the BCD is the same 64mm first.

It's not like you're asking for a dramatic change.

Worst case is a bit of front-d cage rub when you're on the granny and too far down on the rear cogs - but if you were that far down on the rear cogs you'd probably have been better served by upshifting the front anyway.

I'd spend money on it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    thanks bear and doismellbacon. Since i can resell the M980 26/38 combo, i elected to just buy the M980 24/32 combo off the triple and a bbg 104bcd 32t bashguard.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

My 3x9 to 2x10 conversion experience

I recently converted to 2x10 buying parts from eBay and Jenson.

Parts acquired:
    10 speed shifters (slx), 10 speed cassette (slx), 10 speed chain (slx), 10 speed long cage RD (xt). Bash guard (race face) and 36t chainring (slx). 24t granny (xtr) but was never used because the spacing was too wide between the 36t and 24t, so I stayed with the original deore 22t. And a Blackspire chain tensioner

What I learned:
    Xtr granny rings will not have the right spacing to fit on a deore crank. Maybe you can't mix xtr chain rings with lower level cranks. Also the xtr ring sits way too close the blackspire chain tensioner, which causes the chain to rub on it.

Adjusting 2012 slx front shifter with my 9 speed front derailleur with the 2x setting is difficult to get precise shifting. Best to use 3x and adjust for granny and middle rings. The 2x setting is for cranks that use the big and middle ring. Also keep derailleur high as if you had a 3rd big ring.

So the conclusion is that I kept my stock 9 speed deore cranks and 9 speed front derailleur, while I used 10 speed parts and 9 speed specific chainrings. Shorten the chain. Hopefully I can trade in the xtr chainring that I got from jenson for something useful. So my current gear setup is 36/22 front and 11-36 rear. Shifts are good except when I'm on the middle ring and 36t rear, and if I want to upshift, the 36t cog rubs on the inner rear derailleur cage. I adjusted the b screw as far as possible (just enough to turn top pulley) but it still rubs on some ocassions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Might just need a longer b-tension screw:
    - Cassettes from Harris Cyclery

I used a 16mm long one on my CX bike to get the RD to clear the 36t cog.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks, that is a viable solution.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The crankset does not care what the cassette and RD are.

People have been using 10-speed chains on 9-speed drivetrains. You should be fine.
    this is great news..i generated an order for a XT rear derailleur, 10 speed cassette, 10 speed chain and one LX 10 speed rear shifter..and my grand total was 220 bucks..that makes it worth changing over..however my only gripe is weight..the 10speed addition will add weight, and i am not too sure if the extra gear is worth changing to. but that might convince me to try a 1X10 setup. choices..

You down with entropy?

new 2013 shimano rear deraileurs with SRAm 9 speed shifter

so there were people mixing Sram 9 speed shifters with the XTR M985 shadow plus rear derailleur. I saw one pic of a spacer on the cable bolt for that setup.
    Anyone try any of the 2013 versions yet? XTR M986 or XT M786 shadow plus?

After my Moab trip I would really like to try a clutch style derailleur, and the experiment with an XT level would be cheaper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Only difference between the 985 and 986 is the direct mount mounting style, so they will work with 9 speed SRAM shifters too.

mtbr member
    Is the cable bolt spacer pictured many many pages ago a required modification to allow Sram 9 spd shifter use with a Shimano Shadow plus RDR, be it XT or XTR?

I too really want to use a clutched rdr, but want to sick with 9 speed system otherwise.

My current set up is X9 9 speed shifter, XTR 970 11-34 cassette, X9 short cage 9 spd rdr, and running 1x up front.

How difficult would it be to exchange the aforementioned sram rdr for a XT RD-M786?? I'm totally comfortable tuning and adjusting matching components but don't want to get into a finicky gray area of constant readjusting- I hate shifting issues!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yes, SRAM 9-speed shifter is now mated to a Shimano 10-speed rear Deraileur with my adapter block. You can use any level of 10-speed Shimano rear deraileur you would like. I use the XTR Shadow Plus. Folks had posted that no modification was needed with this mix n match but I found that it was close but no cigar so I developed a solution.

I also hate shifting issues. Went to the Shimano rear dearaileur just for that reason.

It has been rock solid since original installation. I have yet to adjust it and it is even on a tandem.

Happy trails.

Steve

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the advice on this thread guys.

I just wanted to post that I'm successfully using a SLX 10 speed crank and FD with a 9 speed chain and 9 speed XTR m965 dual control shifter. With the deals at Jenson right now, it seemed more cost effective to buy a new crankset rather than replace a chain ring on my m960 crankset.

So far, I haven't noticed any deficiencies in shifting or chain rub.

At some point, I will likely swap in a 10 speed chain as it seems that it works with 9 speed cassettes and should reduce the likelyhood of chain rub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I need a slide rule for this thread

I have a 9 spd 36 x 22 crank, 3x 660slx shifter and a ten speed chain/ rear.

I think any mountain 2x9 or 10 FD will work, I've been using a 665 derailleur with a 9 spd but haven't tried it with a dynasys chain yet. What works best for a 10 speed conversion in your opinion? Best shifting, any chainstay or tire clearance issues you've had?

I'll need to switch to a high mount anyway, so any info is appreciated
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

crank help

I bent my Shimano M-552, 24/32/42 crank and I want to change it. Is it possible to change 24/32/42 to an 24/32/44?

mtbr member
    a completely noob question...will the deore 10speed crank work with an 8 speed cogset and shifters?

Chilling out
    Uaisei: yes, you may need to raise your front derailleur slightly to clear the bigger ring, maybe not. You should also make sure your chain is long enough but it likely is. Check sheldonbrown.com or the Park Tools web site for how-to info.

mtbr member
    I cant find other place to write thats why I am writing here my question.
    I have SLX 9spd shifter 2011 the basic before this year 2012(so bad, I dont like the design)
    SLX Cranks with 36T Dartmoor Sting sprocket
    Shimano XT cassete 11-32 m770 incl. E13 LS1 chainguide
    And derailleur Shimano slx medium cage for 9spd. Everything works fine. But occasionally I love to ride on stairs etc. and I saw Shimano Zee but 10spd
    My question is - can I update to Zee rear derailleur and keep the 9spd system and limit the cage for 9spd like 9spd derailleur for 8spd system?

Sorry for my english but this is my first post in english forum.
    The other funny think is that now I'll search if someone else asked question like this.

Now when I read some sentences here, I understand that my idea for 10spd zee derailleur aint gonna work well with 9spd shifter.
    Last edited by ExiTeYeS; 12-29-2012 at 04:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If Zee RD's are the same as SLX/XT then you can, but only with SRAM 9 spd shifters.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoo View Post
    Someone wanted pictures. Here is the spacer needed to allow Shimano 10-speed rear derailleur to play nice with SRAM 9-speed trigger shifter.
    Not sure how to post an image so here is a link to them if you want to see.
    This looks great, I too want to use a new clutch derailleur but don't want to go down the whole 10 speed route, and have a 9-speed Sram shifter lying around. Could you please post the thickness of the spacer you have machined.
    Thanks,
    Pete
    Last edited by potahal; 01-02-2013 at 03:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My 9 speed drive train was worn out and needed to be replaced. I took the opportunity to go 10 speed for the clutch system. I purchased an XT cassette, XT chain, XT Shadow Plus Rear Mech., and XT 10 speed shifters. I know the OP states that 10 speed front shifters will work w/ a 9 speed front mech. and 9 speed cranks, but I cannot get my XT 10 speed front shifters to properly shift my 9 speed front mech. Has anyone else been able to do this successfully? If so, do you have any pointers? I do not believe the 10 speed front shifters pull enough cable to properly shift my 9 speed front mech. Oh and I'm running 24/36 w/ a bash guard.
    Last edited by Makoto; 01-09-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Chilling out
    I am using 2012 xt shifter with 2012 x.0 2x front derailleur, with the shifter in 2x mode, with 24/36 gearing.

When I had the xt 3x front-d I had to use the shifter in 3x mode ... It was like the cable pull for inner-middle was different than middle-outer or 2x. Using the 2x front-d with the 2x mode works great

In all cases I have been using xt 3x cranks with only inner-middle rings.

mtbr member
    That's my experience as well, if you are using a 9-speed 3 ring crank (with or without a bash guard), set the XT shifter to 3x and make sure you shift all the way into the small ring on the shifter; use the FDR limit screws to avoid the bash guard (which you may have already done with your previous setup). I am using this setup right now and it shifts as good as my 9 speed did.
    From what I understand, the mode converter basically uses the middle and top ring setting where the cable pull is less to work with a 2X crank.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I am using 2012 xt shifter with 2012 x.0 2x front derailleur, with the shifter in 2x mode, with 24/36 gearing.

When I had the xt 3x front-d I had to use the shifter in 3x mode ... It was like the cable pull for inner-middle was different than middle-outer or 2x. Using the 2x front-d with the 2x mode works great

In all cases I have been using xt 3x cranks with only inner-middle rings.

Thank you for your response. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    That's my experience as well, if you are using a 9-speed 3 ring crank (with or without a bash guard), set the XT shifter to 3x and make sure you shift all the way into the small ring on the shifter; use the FDR limit screws to avoid the bash guard (which you may have already done with your previous setup). I am using this setup right now and it shifts as good as my 9 speed did.
    From what I understand, the mode converter basically uses the middle and top ring setting where the cable pull is less to work with a 2X crank.
    Thank you for your response. I will report back after giving your tips a go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    bear and RSabarese, thanks for your help. My front shifter/derailleur issue in now resolved!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

What about this 10/9sp MTB mix

[Hi,
    I've read some of your replies and I was wondering if you can help me.
    I have an LX 9sp shifters with a 10sp crankset 10sp and I am changing the remain parts. I was thinking of front and rear derailleur cassette and chain of 9sp. Is this the correct way of doing it?
    Regards,
    Miguel

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm in need of a new rear der. Can I use a new Shimano 10spd rear with a 9spd set up? Shifters, chain and cassette.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Coopie View Post
    I'm in need of a new rear der. Can I use a new Shimano 10spd rear with a 9spd set up? Shifters, chain and cassette.

Thanks
    Nope the RD cable pull per gear change is different between 9sp and 10sp. So either get a new 9sp RD if you want to keep the rest of the drive train in 9sp form, or upgrade everything to 10sp. Or if you sort of cheat by running 10sp road shifters + 10sp cassette and chain w/ 9sp FD/RD like I did on my bike.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Has anyone run a 10 speed crank with a 9 speed rear cassette and a 9 speed chain? I have a XT FC-M780 that I want to run with a 9 speed chain. I know this is not optimal but I am trying to use what I have. My project is pretty unusual.

Edit: Sorry boys, looks like I should have read more. Looks like this question has already been answered. Anyway I will give it a try.
    Last edited by sandmangts; 01-15-2013 at 02:39 PM.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coopie View Post

Thanks
    Apparently it's possible to modify a Shimano 10 speed RD to work with a 9 speed setup.

This German guy is offering the conversion service:

bikemarkt.mtb-news.de/article/68708-umbau-shadow-plus-auf-9-fach-kettengluck-2-0]Umbau Shadow Plus auf 9-fach: Kettenglück 2.0 - Artikelansicht - Bikemarkt - MTB-News.de

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast