mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dyna Sys 10 Spd SLX vs XT, Why SUCH $$ Difference?

Okay, so between the SLX and XT lines on the Dyna Sys series, I'm wondering what the differences are to justify such a significant price difference. For example, just on the shifters its about $40 diff. But for what?

I'm looking into getting only these 10 spd parts to upgrade:

1. Chain
    2. R. Derailleur
    3. Cassette
    4. Shifters

I'm going to use my M770 XT cranks (to take advantage of the 22-36 combo) and XTR f. der.

Between the SLX and XT on the four above parts, it's about $250 difference. WOW! but for what? better materials, better finish, better casting, less plastic, less weight but how? Shimano's website doesn't explain anything.

I've always bought XT or XTR in previous generations. It seemed the LX lines were lesser but yet, I never questioned why. But with a $250 difference in the Dyna Sys, I'm questioning big time now.

Anyone?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Chain is going to be functionally the same, maybe better finish, I wouldn't bother paying more.

Cassette will be lighter, it's up to you if it's worth the money.

Derailer will have more forged bits, rather then stamped, makes for a stiffer package and better shifting, I'd say it's worth it.

Shifters are almost totally different, in both ergonomics and action. XT has instant release and more adjustability. SLX has a pretty standard Shimano feel. I personally don't like the new XT shifters so it may be worth a trip to the LBS to check them out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ah, thanks. After a bit of research....

XT chain is zinc plated, SLX ?
    XT cassette has 3 spider carriers to reduce weight, SLX ?
    XT shifter also has one alloy lever, SLX both are plastic
    XT der. available in GS med cage, SLX SGS long cage only

So, XT chain may wear longer but I change every few thousand miles anywaz=SLX
    XT and SLX cassette, weight differ, not sure about materials, SLX then
    Shifters? Hmm. Instant release IS nice. I have that on my M770s, XT but $40 more
    I like short/med cage dont like a long cage hanging down to hit rocks, so SLX is out, XT then

Shifters and der. work in harmony and one can feel the differ., spend a bit more here
    cassette and chain cannot be felt, save some here
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Will you also need to upgrade to Dyna-sys chainrings for the crankset to work with a 10-speed chain?
    Maintain internal heights.

mtbr member
    The additional aluminum carriers on the XT cassette do more than just save weight: they prevent the cogs from digging in to the freehub body if you have an aluminum freehub as is common on most all decently light hubs (except Hadley and Shimano XTR with Titanium)