for three!
    Mar 2008

dura-ace cassette with xtr shadow?

Hey all i have an 11-34 cassette on my hardtail, and it's just a little unnessecary for my riding conditions, so i'm looking at getting a 12-27 dura ace. Now i know this will work with my xtr shadow, but will it work as good as an 11-32 xtr? If i rode them back to back would i know that the xtr was made for the shadow, while the dura ace is just a road cassette fitted to a mountain derailleur? Or will the will the dura-ace feel just as smooth as the xtr? One last question, for those of you with a 12-27, how low is the lowest cog? Low enough? Thanks all

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I run a 1x9 setup with a 32 or 34(depending on terrain and such) front ring and a 12-26 rear. And I fond that it is sufficient for most of the climbing that I do. I do alot short, steep climbs. For long climbs or all day epics I would really want a 2x9 setup.

As for the derrailluer, why not go for a road derailluer. If it's a monetary issue, a Ultegra cassete and a 105/ultegra(depending on finding deals) would cost about the same as a DA cassete IIRC.

I have no expirience with a MTN der woth a road cassete, though.

Hmmmmm
    People in the know, mix Shimano road and mountain groups, more often than either roadies or mountain bikers would like to admit.
    What you want to do, will work fine. Some things like the chains, cross over between disciplines. An XTR and Dura Ace chain are the same part number for instance. Same with Ultegra and XT.
    You'll be able to shorten your chain with the smaller range Dura Ace cassette. (unless you plan on being able to swap cassettes).
    The shorter chain will shift slightly better and have less chain slap.

It's kinda funny, but I've seen Dura Ace and Ultegra short cage derailleurs on downhill bikes at Bootleg.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

...idios...
    I'm running a 12-27 Ultegra with an XT Shadow (medium cage). I was using a short-cage Ultegra previously which was a little cleaner through the shifts due, it would appear, to the better suited position of the top pulley on a short-cage mech. The XT is still very nice, although it'll be switched to the 11-32 on my SubZero when my short-cage Saint Shadow arrives next month.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler