Ride Everything

Dumonde Tech application?

I cleaned the chain with an ultrasonic cleaner, and then rinsed with 99% isopropyl. Lubed each link with two (2) drops of "original" Dumonde, and wiped off what little excess there was. That's it, right?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

That's it until the next time I suppose....that is way more effort than I've ever put into cleaning and lubing a chain. Did you already have an ultrasonic device?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    pretty much. the thorough cleaning is really only needed for initial application, next time you lube just wipe off the surface and reapply the dumonde.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    That's it until the next time I suppose....that is way more effort than I've ever put into cleaning and lubing a chain. Did you already have an ultrasonic device?
    Normally I'd just wipe the chain off with a rag, and lube it, but from what I was able to glean off the 'net, Dumonde works best with a really clean chain.

The ultrasonic cleaner was purchased for my business, but it's great for cleaning chains and cassettes. It's a fairly small unit (now there's a straight line!), so an 11-34t cassette doesn't get fully submerged. Chains, however, come out looking better than new.

If I were going to switch lubes during the chain's life, I'd do a thorough cleaning too but since a chain's going to be replaced relatively soon I'd just wait until the next chain change, but that's me but then I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner to help out. Let us know if the Dumonde lube is better than sex.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I just do about 30 seconds with a Finish Line device and some Simple green. Wipe dry. Let it sit a bit. Backpedal while squirting some finishline "red".

I used to do each link, but I haven't noticed a difference except for the extra lube that I wipe off at the end.

Overkill IMO.

mtbr member
    Dumonde is some of the best stuff. I have switched the whole crew over to this.
    Bikeless Rider

Ride Everything
    I rode for an hour today, and the chain didn't pick up much dirt (see crappy phone pic below). With Pro-Link, I'd have to lube before the next ride, but I'm pretty sure that's not necessary with Dumonde. I'm going to see how many hours of ride time I can log before having to (A) re-apply more Dumonde, and/or (B) wipe the chain down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Wow....ultrasonic cleaner, two drops per link....damn. I just squirt some off and wipe off the excess. Works for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I bought a small ultrasonic cleaner on sale at Harbor Freight for $25 just for cleaning chain and other small parts. Works great! I do cycle it several times then I cycle it a few more times using water. I also rinse chain in some denatured alcohol to remove water.

The mechanic that assembled my bike showed me his chain oiling technique using white lightning; after rotating chain several times while he adds lube, he then lights the chain using a pocket lighter which burns away the excess solvent leaving the lube residue on chain. He does wipe off the excess residue.

I have been using this technique on the original chain that now has 1800+ miles on it with less than an 1/8 stretch. I do use a good quality chain, the shimano 7701.

Ride Everything
    Rode for another 45 minutes* tonight, and the chain was just starting to make some noise. It wasn't the evil "chirp" of a totally dry chain, but rather the "sloppy" sound of an under-lubed chain.

One thing I noticed while racking the bike was how little dirt was on the chain. There was a coating of dust, but not the greasy stuff you'd see on a wet-lubed chain. I ran my finger over the rollers, and there was only a powdery residue left behind. I back-pedaled the chain through a rag, and it came surprisingly clean. I could probably eek out another 30 minutes of ride time, but I'm going to give the chain a one-drop-per-link lube and see how long the reapplication lasts. Thus far, it's out-lasted Pro-Link Gold, so I'm pleased.

*All riding is off-road, and is actual rolling time.