mtbr member

Dumb question about chains

My 2011 Trek Hifi Deluxe has a KMC chain on it. Irecently went from 3x10 to 2x10 and shortened my der cage. So then I had to shorten my chain. I looked atthat chain for an hour and could not find a universal link. I keep a spare in my pack to I simply broke the chain and used that.

I decided to buy an extra chain to keep in my tool kit/spares box and found the new chain cam broken with a universal link. The exact same link I used to reconnect my existing chain.

I have used chain tools to break chains and push pins back in but I read that is no longer a good idea on today's chains and it will make them weak on that link.

How does the LBS install the chain without using a universal link? Is there a tool I could use to do this?

Rub it............
    They use a replacement pin for Shimano chains. KMC, SRAM, Wipperman all utilize the master links. No replacement pins.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Good question. OEM chains quite often don't have a master link. Don't know if they have some sort of special pin to join them or a special tool to peen the pin or what.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    They sell replacement chain pins. They come about twice as long with a cut about halfway down the pin. After you press it in, you break off the extra length.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Djg24 View Post
    They sell replacement chain pins. They come about twice as long with a cut about halfway down the pin. After you press it in, you break off the extra length.
    I have seen those pins for sale and thought maybe that was there function.

So what are the pros/cons of using a universal link vs replacement pin other than needing a chain tool for the pin?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Each chain manufacturer usually has a recommended pin/masterlink/whatever and you're not supposed to mix and match.

Shimano has a pin that you drive in with a chaintool, then break off the extra.

KMC and Sram both use a universal/master/powerlink.

Personally I like the KMC and Sram chains better because you can disassemble and reassemble the same masterlink more than once (with the exception of some ten speed stuff), as opposed to shimano where you have to buy a new pin everytime you take the chain off.

mtbr member

Re: Dumb question about chains

You can use sram power links on shimano chains, no problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I like to remove and clean my chain often so I will stick with the Missing links from KMC. Thanks for all the great info.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    I like to remove and clean my chain often so I will stick with the Missing links from KMC. Thanks for all the great info.
    Unless you have had bad experiences with them, I recommend also checking out SRAM chains. They come with the master link thing and work really well. They are also often the cheapest brand (I buy last year's models from Pricepoint.com.)