mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Dual Barrel Nut Basics?

So never really had set up my drivetrain but have a new build/components and want to go through the steps properly. Watched all the vids and read Sheldon's write up but still have a question.

With dual barrel nuts (one on shifter, one on derailleur) where do you initially set them? I'm guessing/reading maybe a couple turns out (tighter) from "full loose", since I'm starting on the smallest cog, that would make sense since I'm only going up to the bigger cogs (tighter cable)?

BUT, which one do you turn to adjust first? Is there an order? Does it depend on chain behavior? I don't see that stated anywhere unless I'm blind.

I'm running a 1x9, Saint shifter, XT derailleur if that makes any diff. Thx!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18
    I drink a Mountain Dew Monster energy cocktail while doing lines of cocaine while setting my hinter regions on fire.

mtbr member
    I think you have it about right. I start with them both turned all the way in (clockwise) because you usually don't have to loosen the cable when you first set up. You can use either to adjust with but It's best to use the one at the derailleur and save the shifter barrel adjuster for on the fly adjustments.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What JB said. Though I typically leave a few 1/4 turns out, in case I gorilla the shift cable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Cool, I'll start there, thx!
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18
    I drink a Mountain Dew Monster energy cocktail while doing lines of cocaine while setting my hinter regions on fire.