Dagenham Dave

Dry or Wet Lube - FINISH LINE?

FinishLine Dry Lube (red lid) or Wet Lube (green lid), or a combination of the two?

Some say the Dry Lube doesn't actually penetrate the chain, so is useless. I have heard (I think), that it is good to put the Wet Lube on first, with a coating of the Dry Lube on last?

Dave V.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like the dry(red cap) finishline lube and I don't mix the wet and dry. The dry is a wet substance and penetrates just as well as the wet lube. Been using it since '99 and since I clean/lube my chain about once a week during the season and I don't have to change chains very often. But either lube is fine. They say the wet lube is for riding in wetter areas and the dry in drier areas. I live in Maine and part of the season is wet and part is dry, but I only use the dry. I think it might have to be used more often in dry weather.

Dagenham Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    I like the dry(red cap) finishline lube and I don't mix the wet and dry. The dry is a wet substance and penetrates just as well as the wet lube. Been using it since '99 and since I clean/lube my chain about once a week during the season and I don't have to change chains very often. But either lube is fine. They say the wet lube is for riding in wetter areas and the dry in drier areas. I live in Maine and part of the season is wet and part is dry, but I only use the dry. I think it might have to be used more often in dry weather.

Hi Fred3

I clean my chain after every ride with a degreaser (FinishLine) and ParkTool chain cleaner - maybe a bit anal!

Do you have think you would have to clean your chain less often using the Dry Lube?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave V.
    FinishLine Dry Lube (red lid) or Wet Lube (green lid), or a combination of the two?

Some say the Dry Lube doesn't actually penetrate the chain, so is useless. I have heard (I think), that it is good to put the Wet Lube on first, with a coating of the Dry Lube on last?

Dave V.
    The dry stuff is useless unless you give it a few hours to dry.

The dry stuff doesn't work well in muddy conditions and wears off fairly fast compared to wet lubes.

Wet lubes attract more dirt and grit.

Wet lubes are the only thing that works in real wet and muddy ocnditions.

Dumonde Tech makes a polymer based lube that kind of gives you the best of both words. I use the "lite" version. It's probably the best lube that I've ever used, as far as consistancy, ability to handle varied conditions, and keeping the chain clean.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

All 26.5" all the time!
    I've been using the green cap stuff for many years. It works extemely well, but you will have to degrease/degunk the drivetrin regularly. Another tip is to wipe any excess lube off the exterior of the chain. Anything on the oustide of the links does nothing except collect dust.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

dry

I finally settled on the dry Finish Line after years of trying other lubes. I ride dry trails in Colorado so wet/constant muddy conditions aren't a factor. I like a lube that does its job and doesn't attract grime. I lube after I clean the chain (maybe every few weeks) and let it soak in. I wouldn't say it's worthless if you don't lube hours before a ride, it's just something I do. Sheeit, I even lube a dry chain just before a ride if I need to and it works. Or during a ride. Dry works for me.

desert dweller
    I'll second Dumonde Tech as a great lube. Over the years I've used everything from Pedros Syn Lube, Whitelightning, Trek house brand, and what ever the local shop has in stock. I'm pretty good about lubing and cleaning by drive train -- but dusting it off and lubing before every ride with the lumpy inconsistant dry lubes is just plain annoying. I use the Dumonde Green on my road bike and mountain bikes and it is great in nearly every condition. I just clean it up once every four or five rides and re-lube it and it is definately golden.

I may try the Dumonde light version soon though -- and maybe I'll have a new favorite.

mbb

Formerly DMR For Life
    who sells the dumonde lubes?
    thanks
    DMR

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I use the finish line dry lube in the summer months, in the winter (and I mean 10- 30 degree weather) when its wet & sloppy I use wet
    the purpose of the dry lube is to not attract dust & dirt, the wet is to keep out moisture

mtbr member
    Here's a link...
    http://www.hgnr.com/Products/Dumonde...hain_lube.html
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    thanks
    DMR

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I've used Pedros Synlube, (Green) Cross Country, and White Lightning over 10 years of mtb. My favorite all conditions lube for East Coast xc is ATF. It has proven itself to me for 10000 miles, and more with friends. Its cleaner than the others I tried, no sh!t! I often put a drop on each link, wipe with a rag first, chain, maybe pulley wheels. Or I use the spun chain method, and never wipe off excess. The chain needs lube when I tap it with a finger and I hear a "dry" metal sound. At that method, my rings/cassette stay cleaner than traditional lubes. This equates to lubing about 25 miles of hard trail. I carry a few chains worth in a small bottle. $2 for 2 seasons! I never take a chain off to degrease, dont need to and better things to do anyway. My drivetrain lasts as long as any other.
    Last edited by pedaler845; 01-31-2006 at 12:55 PM.

AW_
    locked - time out

Good job! Dumonde

Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    thanks
    DMR
    Check your local motorcycle shop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Dumonde Tech Lite for real clean chain but Original for lasting longer. Still pretty clean but in the rain and mud, who cares about clean just no chain suck and easy shifting. Works nice.

mtbr member
    I bought both wet and dry, wanted to try something new after using tri flow. I wanted to try the dry lube first so i applied the dry lube after washing the chain (dripping into every roller). Half way during the first ride, my chain started to squeak, and increasingly more as i continued to ride. So it didn't seem to last very long.

As for the wet, i'm reluctant to use it now after hearing how much dirt it'll attract, and it being more difficult to clean out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    does any one ever try rock'n roll gold chain lube !!!
    working fine for me ...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Rock & Roll Extreme...

Quote Originally Posted by stduoo7
    working fine for me ...
    I use the Rock & Roll Extreme....... Works for me...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I used wet/green FinishLine for years, and it works pretty good. However, I have now moved to a light weight synthetic motor oil. Works well and is far cheaper.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen
    I bought both wet and dry, wanted to try something new after using tri flow. I wanted to try the dry lube first so i applied the dry lube after washing the chain (dripping into every roller). Half way during the first ride, my chain started to squeak, and increasingly more as i continued to ride. So it didn't seem to last very long.

As for the wet, i'm reluctant to use it now after hearing how much dirt it'll attract, and it being more difficult to clean out.
    I've used Finish Line Dry for years and my chains never squeak. I'm guessing your trails are dry like mine here in Colorado (or do you ride in the wet part of Australia?). I apply FLD maybe once a week. Never ever squeaked. And doesn't attract dirt. Can't imagine how your chain started squeaking so quickly. In fact, no chain I've ever owned squeaked. Weird.

Maybe it reacted with some TriFlow residue or something. FWIW, after I've cleaned my chain (with a Finish Line chain cleaning thingy and their Eco Tech 2 cleaner) and let it dry I lube it dripping down onto the underside of the chain, not on top while it's rolling over the cassette. I turn the cranks backwards a bit, let the FLD dry awhile then wipe off any excess. Not that you don't know how to lube your chain FLD works for me.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I've used Finish Line Dry for years and my chains never squeak. I'm guessing your trails are dry like mine here in Colorado (or do you ride in the wet part of Australia?). I apply FLD maybe once a week. Never ever squeaked. And doesn't attract dirt. Can't imagine how your chain started squeaking so quickly. In fact, no chain I've ever owned squeaked. Weird.

Maybe it reacted with some TriFlow residue or something. FWIW, after I've cleaned my chain (with a Finish Line chain cleaning thingy and their Eco Tech 2 cleaner) and let it dry I lube it dripping down onto the underside of the chain, not on top while it's rolling over the cassette. I turn the cranks backwards a bit, let the FLD dry awhile then wipe off any excess. Not that you don't know how to lube your chain FLD works for me.
    Yeah i was a bit surprised. The condition of the trails when i went that time was damp, so neither dry/dusty or wet/muddy. When i applied it, i put a drip per roller. Maybe i need to squeeze bigger drips? Before i applied the lube, i made sure to clean the chain thoroughly soaking it in white spirits. Maybe the white spirits did not completely dry? Otherwise i do like the idea of the dry lube. Tri flow has their own version too but i haven't tried them.

mtbr member
    If you want Finish Line Dray Lube for a lot cheaper, just buy this Dupont Telfon spray (always remove chain to lube! ). Finish Line licenses the Teflon from DuPont and I would be very surprised if they made any significant changes to the stuff. I have been using the Dupont stuff as my main lube for over a year. I don't ride in too much mud, but it usually lasts till the end of the ride at least. In dry conditions I can get 3-5 rides without having to re-lube and it doesn't attract dust and create a muck of sticky oil and dirt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stduoo7
    working fine for me ...
    Yep, I've been using that lately after being a long-time Prolink fan. Still like them both

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I use chain wax from the MC shop. Have for years. When it sits for 10 minutes it is dry. It doesn't attract dirt and a great big can is 10 bucks. The chain gets cleaned with a heavy duty brush soaked liberally with dish soap. Works like a charm!

Drew
    occasional cyclist