mtbr member
    Jul 2006

dropping chain (strange)

My chain keeps dropping off the chainrings under load. It's most noticeable when starting off from a standstill when the chain is on the middle ring. The chain drops to the small ring and sometimes completely off the crank.

I've never had this happen before. It seems really strange. Makes me look like an idiot too when I almost fall of my bike with legs spinning like mad . What is the most likely cause?
    http://www.getfitlog.com - free cycling, running and weight training logs

Meh
    Are you backpeddaling at all? Say you are right foot dominant, are you clipping in with your right foot then backpeddaling 1/2 a turn or so to clip in your left? This could cause your chain to slide off the ramps on your middle ring. Just a possibility.

Might check front derailleur adjustment or for a bent tooth on the middle ring, but I like specialk's idea too.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I don't think it's from backpedaling while clipping in because it also happens when clipped-in and pedaling hard.

I don't think it's the front derailleur either because it seems to work fine when pedaling normally. I'll check for bent teeth though.

Could this be caused by a worn chain or rings?
    http://www.getfitlog.com - free cycling, running and weight training logs

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    just had the exact same thing happen, turned out it was a broken tooth on the middle ring, it also messed up the chain