Thread: Drool

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Drool

Last edited by No I'm Spartacus; 09-01-2004 at 07:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Any ideas when the X7-X0 front derailleurs will be in the stores?

mtbr member

Saweeeeet!!!

Thats the best news i heard all day! it`s gonna look real pertty next to the rest of my XO stufff. Anybody know prices yet?
    A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five.
    -Groucho Marx

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by No I'm Spartacus
    It is indeed about friggin time!! I will now proceed to order one from my LBS.

Bye Bye Shimoano...
    MCM# 2007.1

willtsmith_nwi

One step closer ...

Now SRAM needs to make cranks so people can go full SRAM on the drivetrain.

Actually, this is part of their business strategy. And I'll bet they will probably aqcuire one of the independent Crank/Hub makers out their to put them on a 1 on 1 basis with Shimano.

mtbr member
    Looks good, now mount it to an E-type plate for my stumpy

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    Now SRAM needs to make cranks so people can go full SRAM on the drivetrain.

Actually, this is part of their business strategy. And I'll bet they will probably aqcuire one of the independent Crank/Hub makers out their to put them on a 1 on 1 basis with Shimano.
    Maybe. They bought Avid (arguably the best brake manufacturer), so my first guess is who's got the best cranks and rings? Race Face maybe? Perhaps they could work out a JV with Chris King for Hub and BB development... maybe a signature series or something... I just hope they don't go too far trying to compete with Shimano, and introduce proprietary "standards" and arbitrary vendor lock-in.

As an example, the ISIS BB thing didn't work so well, but the idea was good - an open standard, working with several vendors. Also, SRAM makes Shimano compatible shifters, which is a good thing - but I don't think Shimano makes any SRAM compatible bits... Hopefully SRAM they can keep that concept going, and keep the market open to competition. Unfortunately, business tactics suggest this won't be the case once they get big enough...

willtsmith_nwi

Complete bike supplier

Maybe. They bought Avid (arguably the best brake manufacturer), so my first guess is who's got the best cranks and rings? Race Face maybe? Perhaps they could work out a JV with Chris King for Hub and BB development... maybe a signature series or something... I just hope they don't go too far trying to compete with Shimano, and introduce proprietary "standards" and arbitrary vendor lock-in.

As an example, the ISIS BB thing didn't work so well, but the idea was good - an open standard, working with several vendors. Also, SRAM makes Shimano compatible shifters, which is a good thing - but I don't think Shimano makes any SRAM compatible bits... Hopefully SRAM they can keep that concept going, and keep the market open to competition. Unfortunately, business tactics suggest this won't be the case once they get big enough...
    The idea is to be able to offer MOST of a bikes components. That way, it will be easier to negotiate volume with bike manufacturers to supply MOST of the components on a bike the way Shimano does.