mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Drivetrain setup

I haven't been active in building/riding for quite some time so I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, I am building up a DJ/Trail bike and I am trying to set up a drivetrain that is kind of a jack of all trades and I am wondering if my setup sounds alright:

Frame: KHS DJ 100
    BB: Race Face DH Evolve
    Crankset: 32t/bash Raceface Northshore 170mm
    Rear der: Sram X.9 Medium cage / X.0 Shifters
    Cassette: Sram 21-11t

I am mostly concerned about my choice of cassette and if I may be wasting a lot of my energy spinning the pedals and not getting much in return.

Thanks.
    Last edited by iscri; 04-05-2007 at 01:46 AM.

banned
    Sep 2005
    If you're riding that on a trail, the 11-21 will make life a lot of standing pedal grinding.

MTB B'dos
    Not quite sure how you figure you'll be spinning out a lot with that cassette, they don't make anything smaller than an 11t cog If anything would cause you to spin out it would be the front ring.

As said by the previous poster, if you do use this bike for trail you may find that 21 cog a bit to small and spend a lot of time mashing to get up stuff or walking 'cause you can't climb it in that gear combo. A lot of SS people do use combo's that are harder than that though so you might just be an SS rider in disguise and be able to push the gear

Quote Originally Posted by iscri

I am mostly concerned about my choice of cassette and if I may be wasting a lot of my energy spinning the pedals and not getting much in return.

Thanks.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    You might be ok with that road cassette. You might spin out on Downhill runs with that 32/11 combo, and the 32/21 combo maybe too hard if you plan to climb any hills. On my "Agressive Hardtail" I run a 36T in the front and 11-34 on the rear.

Another thing you will absolutely want is something to hold your chain on the front. A bash only won't cut it. You need to get some sort of guide. I bought a cheap "boomerang" at a bike swap and put on mine, and my chain still comes off sometimes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    Another thing you will absolutely want is something to hold your chain on the front. A bash only won't cut it. You need to get some sort of guide. I bought a cheap "boomerang" at a bike swap and put on mine, and my chain still comes off sometimes.
    Yeah I forgot to add the chainguide in when I made my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    As said by the previous poster, if you do use this bike for trail you may find that 21 cog a bit to small and spend a lot of time mashing to get up stuff or walking 'cause you can't climb it in that gear combo. A lot of SS people do use combo's that are harder than that though so you might just be an SS rider in disguise and be able to push the gear
    I see that now, I was thinking about it backwards.

Have to go rethink my setup now, Thanks you guys saved me a bunch of time, money and pain!