mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Drivetrain questions

A couple of years ago I purchased a RockHopper that had been converted to a single speed with a surly tensioner.

I love the simplicity of it but I still can't seem to climb very well and am in pretty good shape. The tensioner sometimes will skip on big climbs and I just cannot make it to the top and have to hoof it.

So, I'm looking for a decent drivetrain like a 2x9 ect.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    How about a 1x1 with an alfine hub? Run a short chain for climbing.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Pics?

There are supposed to be two ways to run the tensioner, one of which is supposed to be a bit more reliable. Maybe this is salvageable.

I don't have a singlespeed with a tensioner - I have a track bike, so it has track ends and there's no issue.

You can also get a couple of eccentric bottom brackets for English-threaded shells. Not sure how well they work, but they do exist. That would be another way to get rid of the tensioner.

If you need to lose half a link, there are half-links available for that.

If you were to switch to a geared drivetrain, probably your cheapest bet is to get everything all at once, as a kit. pricepoint.com usually has a few. Jenson sometimes has some too. I'm a bit of a Shimano fanboy, so I'd do whichever Shimano kit fit my budget.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx