Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7

    Drivetrain Q's (crank & derailleurs)

    Hey all, I am in need of a new crank and am thinking of upgrading my derailleurs.

    My bike is a Iron Horse Warrior Sport hardtail.

    I currently have a Truvativ X-flow crank and have nothing but problems with it (crank arms falling of, ruining BB).

    I have about $200 to $250 to spend on a crank. I have been looking at the Shimano XT FC-M760 at Performance Bikes (they are by my house). I really don't know much about components, but I have been doing some searching here on the forums. Is this a good crank for the money? Would you recommend something different (it doesn't have to be at Performance Bikes).

    I figure while I'm at it I might want to upgrade my rear derailleur and maybe my front. I have a Shimano Deore in the rear and a Shimano "050 Top Swing SIS" (never heard of it, but its on my bike).

    I have been reading good things about the XRAM X.9 rear derailleur, so would it be a good significant upgrade from my Deore? As for the front, I really don't have a clue. Some say Shimano is better, some say XRAM is, and some say it doesnt matter as it's just a front derailleur. If I was to get the X.9 rear should I just get the front too?

    Sorry for all the questions, but any help is appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Stephen

  2. #2
    Vaginatarian
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,686
    Quote Originally Posted by shawkins
    Hey all, I am in need of a new crank and am thinking of upgrading my derailleurs.

    My bike is a Iron Horse Warrior Sport hardtail.

    I currently have a Truvativ X-flow crank and have nothing but problems with it (crank arms falling of, ruining BB).

    I have about $200 to $250 to spend on a crank. I have been looking at the Shimano XT FC-M760 at Performance Bikes (they are by my house). I really don't know much about components, but I have been doing some searching here on the forums. Is this a good crank for the money? Would you recommend something different (it doesn't have to be at Performance Bikes).

    I figure while I'm at it I might want to upgrade my rear derailleur and maybe my front. I have a Shimano Deore in the rear and a Shimano "050 Top Swing SIS" (never heard of it, but its on my bike).

    I have been reading good things about the XRAM X.9 rear derailleur, so would it be a good significant upgrade from my Deore? As for the front, I really don't have a clue. Some say Shimano is better, some say XRAM is, and some say it doesnt matter as it's just a front derailleur. If I was to get the X.9 rear should I just get the front too?

    Sorry for all the questions, but any help is appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Stephen
    the xt is a great crank
    if the front deraillier is working fine , leave it, if you switch to sram you will also need to switch shifters $$

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,173
    Are you sure the Shimano XT crank will fit Truvativ bottom bracket? Perhaps, you will have to change the BB as well, take it into account.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by xenon
    Are you sure the Shimano XT crank will fit Truvativ bottom bracket? Perhaps, you will have to change the BB as well, take it into account.
    I will be changing the BB as well, since what I am trying to do is get away from the Powerspline (I guess its called) BB, and get a regular splined BB.

    Thanks

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    the xt is a great crank
    if the front deraillier is working fine , leave it, if you switch to sram you will also need to switch shifters $$
    I was planning on getting new shifters anyways so I don't have shifter/brake lever combos. Later on I would like to get a front and maybe rear hydraulic disc.

    My bike is an 8 speed, and it looks like the X.9 trigger shifters come in 8 speed so I will probably end up with those. I'm kinda bummed that the X.0 doesn't come in 8 speed, I like the bling!

    So would the X.9 trigger shifters be a good choice?

    Thanks

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    107
    I'd go for SRAM X.9 with Gripshifts. The front shifter has a trim so your front derailler works awesome. No chain rub at all. If you absolutely hate gripshift for watever reason SRM makes trigger shifters as well. SRAM is better than Shimano and I'd recommend the X.9. Great price/performance ration. Also the gripshifts are way cheaper than triggers.

    As for the crank and bottom bracket. Take a look at Raceface. They make nice stuff.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondo
    I'd go for SRAM X.9 with Gripshifts. The front shifter has a trim so your front derailler works awesome. No chain rub at all. If you absolutely hate gripshift for watever reason SRM makes trigger shifters as well. SRAM is better than Shimano and I'd recommend the X.9. Great price/performance ration. Also the gripshifts are way cheaper than triggers.

    As for the crank and bottom bracket. Take a look at Raceface. They make nice stuff.
    I do absolutely hate gripshifts. I currently have a line on a X-0 front shifter, so I would get that just for the extra bling and get a X-9 for the rear since I have 8-speed.

    What Race Face cranks do you recommend? Looking at Performance Bikes site, they have the Race Face Deus XC. It's priced a little higher than I would like, but I get 10% off so it would be around $260 instead of $290. Is there somewhere else I should be looking that has better prices? Should I be looking at a different Race Face crank?

    Thanks,
    Stephen

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7
    Well I found the Race Face Deus XC on eBay for $230.

    Its a little bit lighter than the Shimano XT, and I think it looks a heck of a lot cooler too.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TrailBuzzd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    103
    Try JensonUSA or Cambria for online components, I've gotten good deals and they each have different products too sometimes. The newest X9 trigger shifters look alot cooler than the 2006. Get the 2007s. The FSA cranks look cool too. I have been happy with my Sram stuff. My XT crank has been very durable but I get some creaking from it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •