Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Drivetrain problem

580 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ahippler 
#1 ·
I am new here on the forums so hopefully this is the right section to ask this question.

I have noticed lately when I pedal hard from a dead stop my rear wheel pulls toward and rubs the left chainstay (if looking down from on the bike).:mad:

Is this a sign of something out of alignment or something more major?
Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
ahippler said:
I am new here on the forums so hopefully this is the right section to ask this question.

I have noticed lately when I pedal hard from a dead stop my rear wheel pulls toward and rubs the left chainstay (if looking down from on the bike).:mad:

Is this a sign of something out of alignment or something more major?
Any help would be appreciated.
Tighten the QR

#4 ·
Yup, Frame Flex and Wheel Flex

ahippler said:
Would there be anything else that could cause this.
If you're pedaling hard from a dead stop you're going to be putting a lot of side to side force on your driveline. Your chainstays will 'bow' up to an inch depending on your frame.
The rear wheel do this also but to a lesser extent.

#5 ·
This sounds like a problem one gets on a bike with horizontal drops and not with a vertical dropout... if the tire is rubbing the chainstay on takeoffs then you either have a really flexy frame or your tires are too wide and don't have enough clearance.

Your QR may also need replacement as it might not be getting enough traction / grip to keep the wheel from shifting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.