mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Dram Sram X.5 Vs Shimano Xt Compatability & Durabulity

I am looking at a mountain that comes with the following components and I have several questions.

1) I am worry about the sram due to parts availability. It is much easier to find shimano parts.

2) what shimano parts are compatible with sram x5 ( Cassette, chain, etc )

3) My understanding is that I will need to change the shifters, front and Front and rear Derailleur to change to shimano.

4) which is a better set up I am looking at two 29 one is shimano the other is Sram

Front Derailleur SRAM X.5, 34.9mm
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X.5
    Shifters SRAM X.5 Trigger, 27-speed
    Cassette/Freewheel Sunrace CSM969-AVOS, 11-32T 9-speed

Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT long cage
    Shifters Shimano Deore Mega-9 Rapid Fire 27 speed trigger shift
    Cassette/Freewheel Shimano HG cassette 9 speed 11-32T

Thanks
    Last edited by maralv; 02-22-2010 at 08:38 AM.

no fat chicks
    is your S key broken or something?
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

mtbr member
    If you do a quick search, you will quickly find that the difference between Sram and Shimano is very personal.

For me, I like the Sram products better. I find no problems in my area with availability, in fact Sram may be a bit more readily available.

To answer your other questions, the front derailleurs and cassettes are interchangeable. You can change the rear derailleur and shifters.

Also, the XT is more inline with the X-9 level of Sram components. Lastly, the configurations you label and #1 and #2 are exactly the same...
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1
    If you do a quick search, you will quickly find that the difference between Sram and Shimano is very personal.

For me, I like the Sram products better. I find no problems in my area with availability, in fact Sram may be a bit more readily available.

To answer your other questions, the front derailleurs and cassettes are interchangeable. You can change the rear derailleur and shifters.

Also, the XT is more inline with the X-9 level of Sram components. Lastly, the configurations you label and #1 and #2 are exactly the same...
    updated the post Sorry

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    1) I am worry about the sram due to parts availability. It is much easier to find shimano parts.
    Where are you from? They are just as available as Shimano in the US.

2) what shimano parts are compatible with sram x5 ( Cassette, chain, etc )
    The only parts that are NOT cross compatible are the rear shifters and rear derailleurs. You must run a shimano RD with a shimano rear shifter, and a SRAM RD with SRAM rear shifter. The one exception to this is that SRAM makes a shifter (Attack) for use with shimano RD's.

Front shifters, front derailleurs, chains, cassettes are all cross compatible.

3) My understanding is that I will need to change the shifters, front and Front and rear Derailleur to change to shimano.
    I don't understand. Change what to shimano?
    4) which is a better set up I am looking at two 29 one is shimano the other is Sram

Front Derailleur SRAM X.5, 34.9mm
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X.5
    Shifters SRAM X.5 Trigger, 27-speed
    Cassette/Freewheel Sunrace CSM969-AVOS, 11-32T 9-speed

Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT long cage
    Shifters Shimano Deore Mega-9 Rapid Fire 27 speed trigger shift
    Cassette/Freewheel Shimano HG cassette 9 speed 11-32T
    Shimano vs SRAM is personal preference. However, I will say that in option #2 it is a little silly to have an xt RD with a low end shifter. Better to get a cheaper RD and a better shifter.