inner peace to make peace

double chainring/crankset: 28/44 (2x9)?

Any one racing or planning to xc race on a double chainring/crankset: 28/44 (2x9)?
    Know who's selling such cranksets, at XTR, XT; SRAM X, 9 "level" ?
    Do such cranksets come with integral bottom brackets?

As my XT 22/32/44x11~34 drive drain starts to wear out from winter (mud) riding, I'm looking for something simpler, more durable, and lighter for Spring.
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

mtbr member

Can't do 28 tooth...

as far as I know. I think the smallest ring that can fit on a 5-arm compact spider (94mm) is a 29 tooth. To do 28/44, you could use a 110/74mm crankset and run the 28 tooth on the small ring position and the 44 on the middle position though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Agreed...

I had Brett at Boone Tech fab me a 29 tooth 'middle' ring. He said the only other option is the 'big' granny thing, but advised against it. I really like the 29!!
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

mtbr member

MTBDad...

Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad
    I had Brett at Boone Tech fab me a 29 tooth 'middle' ring. He said the only other option is the 'big' granny thing, but advised against it. I really like the 29!!
    Warning, minor threadjack...

I also had Brett at Boone make me a 29t mid ring and a 42t big ring for a 2x9 setup.
    I received them a few weeks ago, but haven't been able to ride due to Canadian weather.
    My issue: Brett ships the rings without ramping or pinning; which I did not know. He told me I could send it back and switch it, but is it necessary?

I tried out the ring on the trainer, and am having a hard time getting it to shift into the big ring. I assume I should be able to get it to shift properly on the trainer. To my knowledge, ramping is only required for situations where you probably shouldn't be shifting anyway - so it must be my lack of mechanical skills. Anyone have any insight?

As a comparison, my road bike has a 39t and a 53t and no ramping or pinning and everything shifts fine. It's basically the same ratio between rings...

mtbr member

What front shifter are you using?

I've found that un-ramped rings generally work fine if you set things up to be able to overshift the big ring just a little. I've also wound that it works best with a "friction" type front shifter...something like a micro-adjustable SRAM twisty or a thumbshifter.

mtbr member

It's an xtr shifter and FD

Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    I've found that un-ramped rings generally work fine if you set things up to be able to overshift the big ring just a little. I've also wound that it works best with a "friction" type front shifter...something like a micro-adjustable SRAM twisty or a thumbshifter.
    It's probably about 2 seasons old. How would it shift with a road FD?

mtbr member

Just fine...

but maybe not any better. You might try a road triple if you can get it in the clamp/cable pull direction that your bike needs. Road derailleurs aren't available in top pull.