inner peace to make peace

double chainring/crankset: 28/44 (2x9)?

Any one racing or planning to xc race on a double chainring/crankset: 28/44 (2x9)?
    Know who's selling such cranksets, at XTR, XT; SRAM X, 9 "level" ?
    Do such cranksets come with integral bottom brackets?

As my XT 22/32/44x11~34 drive drain starts to wear out from winter (mud) riding, I'm looking for something simpler, more durable, and lighter for Spring.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

mtbr member

Can't do 28 tooth...

as far as I know. I think the smallest ring that can fit on a 5-arm compact spider (94mm) is a 29 tooth. To do 28/44, you could use a 110/74mm crankset and run the 28 tooth on the small ring position and the 44 on the middle position though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Agreed...

I had Brett at Boone Tech fab me a 29 tooth 'middle' ring. He said the only other option is the 'big' granny thing, but advised against it. I really like the 29!!
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

mtbr member

MTBDad...

Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad
    I had Brett at Boone Tech fab me a 29 tooth 'middle' ring. He said the only other option is the 'big' granny thing, but advised against it. I really like the 29!!
    Warning, minor threadjack...

I also had Brett at Boone make me a 29t mid ring and a 42t big ring for a 2x9 setup.
    I received them a few weeks ago, but haven't been able to ride due to Canadian weather.
    My issue: Brett ships the rings without ramping or pinning; which I did not know. He told me I could send it back and switch it, but is it necessary?

I tried out the ring on the trainer, and am having a hard time getting it to shift into the big ring. I assume I should be able to get it to shift properly on the trainer. To my knowledge, ramping is only required for situations where you probably shouldn't be shifting anyway - so it must be my lack of mechanical skills. Anyone have any insight?

As a comparison, my road bike has a 39t and a 53t and no ramping or pinning and everything shifts fine. It's basically the same ratio between rings...

mtbr member

What front shifter are you using?

I've found that un-ramped rings generally work fine if you set things up to be able to overshift the big ring just a little. I've also wound that it works best with a "friction" type front shifter...something like a micro-adjustable SRAM twisty or a thumbshifter.

mtbr member

It's an xtr shifter and FD

Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    I've found that un-ramped rings generally work fine if you set things up to be able to overshift the big ring just a little. I've also wound that it works best with a "friction" type front shifter...something like a micro-adjustable SRAM twisty or a thumbshifter.
    It's probably about 2 seasons old. How would it shift with a road FD?

mtbr member

Just fine...

but maybe not any better. You might try a road triple if you can get it in the clamp/cable pull direction that your bike needs. Road derailleurs aren't available in top pull.