• 05-18-2005
    TIGMAN
    Double/bashguard vs triple crank advantages for 6" travel frame?
    Besides the obvious advantage of a bashguard and abit more clearance of the crank without a big chainring, why do you riders that use them like this setup? I plan on building up a 6" travel frame with a 6" fork( Fox 36) in front! The only disadvantage I can see is not having the big chainring for pedaling down hills and such for higher speed! I have only used triple cranks so far mainly on XC style frames! Just wondering if its worth trying a double because I am building it for more for going over stuff and drops and such than for speed! Thanks! TIG.
  • 05-18-2005
    GearHead
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    Besides the obvious advantage of a bashguard and abit more clearance of the crank without a big chainring, why do you riders that use them like this setup? I plan on building up a 6" travel frame with a 6" fork( Fox 36) in front! The only disadvantage I can see is not having the big chainring for pedaling down hills and such for higher speed! I have only used triple cranks so far mainly on XC style frames! Just wondering if its worth trying a double because I am building it for more for going over stuff and drops and such than for speed! Thanks! TIG.

Another major advantage is you can use a short cage rear derailleur with this set-up since the rear derailleur doesn't require as much capacity. This has two benefits: increased ground clearance of the chain itself, and a reduction in chain slap on the chain stay due to increased chain tension.
  • 05-18-2005
    TIGMAN
    Chain slap!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GearHead
    Another major advantage is you can use a short cage rear derailleur with this set-up since the rear derailleur doesn't require as much capacity. This has two benefits: increased ground clearance of the chain itself, and a reduction in chain slap on the chain stay due to increased chain tension.

Yeah, that makes sense, I suppose you would also get a abit snappier gear shifting as well? I wonder if this would also help reduce the chain rubbing on bigger tires such as 2.5 Nevegal in the granny gears? I had this problem when I was running 2.4 Panaracer FR tires on one of my older bikes which had triple crank and long cage RD!!! TIG.