mtbr member

New question here. Don't Know Squat ~ Bottom Brackets!

i bought a 2007 used yeti 575 frame that has a truvativ team sl giga pipe bb installed. i realized that i don't know squat about this part of my bike. i would like to install 2 rings and a light bashguard. i have a few questions:

when you buy cranks, don't most come as a crankset w/ the bottom bracket? i am considering the stylo 2.2 rg set up, but they come w/ a team gxp bb. what are my options as far as purchasing cranks and rings?

thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit350
    i bought a 2007 used yeti 575 frame that has a truvativ team sl giga pipe bb installed. i realized that i don't know squat about this part of my bike. i would like to install 2 rings and a light bashguard. i have a few questions:

when you buy cranks, don't most come as a crankset w/ the bottom bracket? i am considering the stylo 2.2 rg set up, but they come w/ a team gxp bb. what are my options as far as purchasing cranks and rings?

thanks

Most external bearing cranksets these days come as a unit with BB spindle attached to one of the crankarms.
    It ought to be cheaper to buy a couple of new chainrings (ie deore=best bang for buck) & a bashguard than a new crankset.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    when you buy cranks, don't most come as a crankset w/ the bottom bracket?

Newer bottom brackets use external bearing cups. A hollow spindle is permanently attached to one crank arm, usually the drive side. This is inserted through the bottom bracket shell and the cups and attaches to the other crank arm. Older models use an internal cartridge that holds the bearings. Crank arms are attached to the outer slines on either side.

i am considering the stylo 2.2 rg set up, but they come w/ a team gxp bb. what are my options as far as purchasing cranks and rings?

On the new 2.2rg you should be able to replace the non-driveside arm with replacement parts if need be. The driveside arm is attached to the spindle so you would have to essentially buy a new spindle and crank arm unit to replace that arm. The rings should be removable and replaceable with an allen wrench.

On your older model, crank arms and rings should be available for replacement parts if you don't mind the style of bottom bracket and your cartidge is still running smoothly.

EDR
    If I'm understanding this right you just need to buy some cranks that are ISIS compatible (to use with your current BB)...or just get the Stylo 2.2 with the GPX (external bearings) crankset and ditch the old bb altogether, it's only like a $20 part.

you can buy many cranksets with two rings and a bash installed, or with 3 rings and then you ditch the 3rd ring and install your own bash.