mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Don't know if I adjusted my rear D correctly

Hi all, so I'm slowly getting better at adjusting my rear derailleur, but I have a question:

Whenever I am shifting down to the smallest cogs (the last 3 smallest one - with large chain ring engaged in the front), the chain jumps and makes a clunk noise, and sometimes when I'm riding, it sort of feels like it kicks the pedals back a bit.

For example, if I am on the 3rd smallest cog down shifting to the 2nd smallest, the chain will produce a loud "clunk" noise and kicks the pedal a bit to throw me off my stride. And this always happens when I down shift from 3rd smallest to 2nd smallest, 2nd to 1st smallest, but the other gears when shifting down is fine and it's very crisp and smooth.

So I'm just wondering if this is normal or not?

Thanks.

Vic

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Deosn't sound normal to me...

SRAM's clunk a bit more than Shimano's but niether should throw you off stride, or even close...

Are yoiu trying to describe the chain skipping???

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This is still a bit new to me but I don't believe the chain is skipping. It goes where it's supposed to.

I feel the chain just drops to the next smallest cog and then a loud "clunk" noise happens, which in turn, kicks the pedals a bit, so much that it throws my feet off position on the pedals. I wish I could describe it better. This only happens when I'm down shifting starting from the 3rd small to the smallest cogs.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the b tension screw?

V

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by v3biker View Post
    This is still a bit new to me but I don't believe the chain is skipping. It goes where it's supposed to.

I feel the chain just drops to the next smallest cog and then a loud "clunk" noise happens, which in turn, kicks the pedals a bit, so much that it throws my feet off position on the pedals. I wish I could describe it better. This only happens when I'm down shifting starting from the 3rd small to the smallest cogs.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the b tension screw?

V
    Nope throughing your feet off postion on the pedals, sounds like it is falling down one cog tofar then climbing back up.....to the right cog...cause you say it gets tougher...

Basically find a safe place and watch the chain when you shift.....don't run itno anything though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Go on youtube and watch a few rear derailleur adjustment videos, - than, start from scratch and readjust your derailleur again. Keep trying, you'll eventually get it. If not, than maybe something else is wrong.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it - it'll be broke soon enough !" - ILOJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2006