Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spartacus001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    76

    We the people ... Done it: Mtb rapidfire shifters on drop Bar

    Hi Everyone,

    I thought I'd share a recent project I did on my commuter.
    I've been using downtube friction shifters on a 8 speed Freewheel but the shifting was annoying requiring constant trimming. On the lowest geat, the lever sits almost parallel to the ground which snags my shorts.

    So I thought about upgrading to a pair of STIs or bar ends. I don't like bar ends and STI are $$ so I came up with a cheaper alternative. I decided to mount a pair of rapidfires on my drop bars.

    People have tried unsucessfully because the clamp Dia (22.2 mm) of the shifters are too narrow to fit over drop bars (23.8 mm).

    I used Shimano STX-RCMC38 Rapidfire because it has a removable and meaty clamp to work with. A few minutes of sanding on the drum sander and Voila!

    I'm quite pleased with the results. She works perfectly on the SunRace Freewheel
    Here's how it looks.









    Last edited by spartacus001; 08-04-2011 at 10:08 AM.

  2. #2
    Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Reputation: Shayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,385
    Nice work.

    Alternately you can just use a large flat blade screwdriver to spread the clamp a bit wider and slide it on.
    *** --- *** --- ***

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spartacus001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    76
    Absolutely
    But the newer style clamps are much thinner with the pod/clamp and the brake lever integrated in one assembly.
    Some people have tried just spreading the clamp but ended up cracking and ruining the entire assembly. Even Sheldon did this!

    A beefy clamp is ideal for this application. If it breaks, just replace the clamp.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: marpilli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,652
    It looks very nice. Good idea!
    Contact information: http://about.me/marpilli

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus001 View Post
    Absolutely
    But the newer style clamps are much thinner with the pod/clamp and the brake lever integrated in one assembly.
    Some people have tried just spreading the clamp but ended up cracking and ruining the entire assembly. Even Sheldon did this!

    A beefy clamp is ideal for this application. If it breaks, just replace the clamp.
    Case in point; I have XTR m980 shifters and would not risk breaking the clamp unless I was an expert who knew what he was doing temperature, tools, materials and method wise. Thanks for posting your hack...now I just need a sanding bit... are any specific sanding bits better catered to aluminum? Cheers.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spartacus001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    76
    No special sanding Abrasive is needed for aluminium.
    I used a basic sanding drum kit and used the most coarse sleeve.
    It took about 10mins on a drill press.

    Name:  15110.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  36.4 KB5-UK/images/library/stock/webbig/15110.jpg

    Quote Originally Posted by donnieboy View Post
    Case in point; I have XTR m980 shifters and would not risk breaking the clamp unless I was an expert who knew what he was doing temperature, tools, materials and method wise. Thanks for posting your hack...now I just need a sanding bit... are any specific sanding bits better catered to aluminum? Cheers.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: time229er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus001 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    I thought I'd share a recent project I did on my commuter.
    I've been using downtube friction shifters on a 8 speed Freewheel but the shifting was annoying requiring constant trimming. On the lowest geat, the lever sits almost parallel to the ground which snags my shorts.

    So I thought about upgrading to a pair of STIs or bar ends. I don't like bar ends and STI are $$ so I came up with a cheaper alternative. I decided to mount a pair of rapidfires on my drop bars.

    People have tried unsucessfully because the clamp Dia (22.2 mm) of the shifters are too narrow to fit over drop bars (23.8 mm).

    I used Shimano STX-RCMC38 Rapidfire because it has a removable and meaty clamp to work with. A few minutes of sanding on the drum sander and Voila!

    I'm quite pleased with the results. She works perfectly on the SunRace Freewheel
    Here's how it looks.









    just wondering how that "she" relationship is going...?
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spartacus001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by time229er View Post
    just wondering how that "she" relationship is going...?
    I used this setup for about 3 years and was very happy with it.
    I recently upgraded to a pair of STI. I found a great deal.
    $50 for Shimano Claris ST-2400 (right only)

Similar Threads

  1. Rapidfire shifters for parts...
    By NHpug in forum Cargo Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2010, 03:37 PM
  2. XTR 970 Rapidfire Shifters are they compatible
    By kevindef in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 05:56 AM
  3. New XT 8 sp rapidfire shifters
    By RickD. in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 04:54 PM
  4. Need xtr 9-sp rapidfire shifters.
    By eakins in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 06:19 PM
  5. xtr rapidfire shifters
    By jason74 in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 07:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •