mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Idea! does everything look kosher? (just installed RaceFace Atlas crank)

I just installed the RaceFace Atlas crank (second generation) with their X-type Team DH bottom bracket. Isn't the non-drive side crank arm supposed to have a cap on it? There's a big hole showing through the spindle into the bb shell (last pic). Dunno if that's normal. There's nothing else in the box the crank/bb came in. (Also, does all else look kosher?) (External bb cups & crank bolt torqued to manufacturer's specs.) Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails does everything look kosher? (just installed RaceFace Atlas crank)-img_0571-mtbr.jpg  

does everything look kosher? (just installed RaceFace Atlas crank)-img_0568-mtbr.jpg  

does everything look kosher? (just installed RaceFace Atlas crank)-img_0559-mtbr.jpg  

does everything look kosher? (just installed RaceFace Atlas crank)-img_0556-mtbr.jpg  

Last edited by TheeSuperUberV; 07-14-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: add info

usually cranky
    looks good to me. not sure about a cover.

Huckin' trails

does everything look kosher? (just installed RaceFace Atlas crank)

I don't think there's a spindle cover, even the Cadence road crankset with the X-Type BB didn't had one. Race Face also doesn't mention anything about it. Although it would look better with one.

Just the black BB spacers on the drive side who look funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks b-kul & David C. I guess RaceFace knows what they're doing. Just seems like water can get in there & cause corrosion somewhere, even though inside the spindle is rubbery all around & the crank bolt on the drive side is aluminum so it can't rust and crank bolt is hollow so water can be let out... i just remember Bruce Lee saying "water can penetrate anything". Then again Bruce Lee didn't manufacture bike components. I'm waiting for RF to reply

PS. Great thing is crank bolt is TIGHT & torqued. Took me a good amount of turns to get to 61 Nm. For a few seconds i thought RF made a typo... until i finally got to 61 Nm.

mtbr member
    They don't have caps to cover that non drive side spindle. You have your spacers set up for a 68mm BB, so you are good there if it's 68mm, and not many people actually torque the crank bolt to 61 nm. That was quite a bit of force wasn't it? Only thing I would suggest...... I have been using Turbine crankset for about a year now, is to periodically re-torque that bolt. It slightly loosens over time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Good job!

Thanks ghettocop, yea it was a lot of turning to get it tighter. I guess it was squeezing in the lil washers on the spindle, against the crank arms. Thanks for the heads up on the re-torque.

RaceFace replied today: "All our cranks have fully hollow spindles, so there is no cap that is supposed to cover the opening on the non-DS arm. All modern 2 piece cranks are designed in the same way."